• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Scope suggestions 16” Aramalite Rifle

Barh, I have my MBUS mounted to the absolute rear of the rail and in the stowed position. The prism scope I have has just enough eye relief that the rear of the objective tube sits just in front of the MBUS as stowed. Think you will need to see how much forward you can mount the prism and still have it usable. IMO the weapon works better, particular in CQB, if the prism or red dot is mounted as far forward as possible. Then you can see if your MBUS interferes. If so, you've already found the choices - remove or raise. Good luck.

Regards

Barhobeman,
The pic of the Monstrom Prism is a good representation of CQB rifle set up. Stock at it’s minimum LOP and no BUIS. This would be good for clearing houses. You would need a light as well. For longer shots you would probably increase the length of pull depending on your body type.
With your rifle I would keep the Magpul rear sight on so you can use the BUIS system when required.
Check out the Bushnell trs25. You can set this up so that it can co witness with the irons. No magnification but you get a decent red dot that is good out to 200 yards and the back up irons are there just in case. The trs25 is pretty affordable and will leave you some money for the lighting system.

Barh, I have my MBUS mounted to the absolute rear of the rail and in the stowed position. The prism scope I have has just enough eye relief that the rear of the objective tube sits just in front of the MBUS as stowed. Think you will need to see how much forward you can mount the prism and still have it usable. IMO the weapon works better, particular in CQB, if the prism or red dot is mounted as far forward as possible. Then you can see if your MBUS interferes. If so, you've already found the choices - remove or raise. Good luck.

Regards
Thanks man. Which one do you have?

Barhobeman,
The pic of the Monstrom Prism is a good representation of CQB rifle set up. Stock at it’s minimum LOP and no BUIS. This would be good for clearing houses. You would need a light as well. For longer shots you would probably increase the length of pull depending on your body type.
With your rifle I would keep the Magpul rear sight on so you can use the BUIS system when required.
Check out the Bushnell trs25. You can set this up so that it can co witness with the irons. No magnification but you get a decent red dot that is good out to 200 yards and the back up irons are there just in case. The trs25 is pretty affordable and will leave you some money for the lighting system.
I don’t think I’ll be clearing any houses since I’m a civilian now. The rifles main objective will be from say 30 out to 100 or so yards shooting at coyotes, pigs, etc. With the pigs and a .223/5.56 I’ll want a fairly decent placed shot. So I’m going to want so magnification. I had a 1x red dot on an sks way back when. It was ok, but it wasn’t much better than a set of irons. If I did have any sights at all a 1x dot would suffice. But adding a 1x would be sort of redundant with my current situation.
Anyone ever used a fixed 3x or 4x? How are they at 25 yards, big and blurry? Would 3x be decent at 200 yards?

Typically, most folks don't put "hunting" scopes on ARs, especially given that most use them for personal (home) defense at short to medium ranges. Three types of sighting devices are normally used.

IMO, a 3x9 scope is not comparable with an AR.

Suggest you read some of the optic reviews on line. How you plan to use the weapon will determine what optic best meets your needs.

Regards
Ernst,
What about a 3x9 isn’t suitable for the AR? The 3x, the 9x, or is it the physical size of the scope and how it mounts? Or is it simply the fact that it’s a “hunting style” vs “tactical?”
Around these parts a “hunting style” scope isn’t all that uncommon for those who use their AR style rifles for other than “just in case.” Hog hunting with them is fairly common actually. The rich kids use infrareds on theirs to hunt hogs at night. I don’t know anyone personally who is using their AR style rifle for close quarters combat since I’m not a LEO or in the military anymore. I know a guy or two who have AR’s under their beds with red dots on them for “just in case,” (city kids) but they’ve yet to get the opportunity to sweep a house with it. They’ve been to the range a few times though.
So if you weren’t using your AR for zombies, but hunting instead, would you still recommend a “tactical style” scope? Or would a “hunting style” be better?
I have an 18” 12 gauge just in case the zombies get in the house. The AR will be used for hunting type stuff. If the occasion arises that we all join a militia and clear houses I can use the iron sights.
Here’s a “rich kid” that I work withs set up. As far as not needing magnification goes, tell that to the thousands of hunters with .270’s and 30-06 with “big scopes.” In Texas you’ll be hard pressed to find a deer feeder that’s more than 100 yds away from the deer stand. Those rifles don’t come with sights but you don’t see anyone putting a 1x on them ever.

Attachments

• DE1334E3-2C23-4045-AE0B-FFD7BD4DCEAC.jpeg
    DE1334E3-2C23-4045-AE0B-FFD7BD4DCEAC.jpeg
    488.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
... I was wondering about the front sight post being in the way prior to buying it. After some googling I decided to go ahead and get one with a front post. /

I had a friend that built a .300 Blackout that had a scope mounted on top and the irons mounted on a 45-degree rail off to the right side.

I don't know if that is a really good way of doing it. I'm not that much of a custom rifleman. But it is another approach to consider.

Barh, I understand your intended use especially given you have a 12ga for home defense so the AR wouldn't necessarily be used in that capacity.

I've never used any variable power scope on an AR/M4 other than a 1x - 6x. I know that the current trend in LVPOs is moving to 1x - 8x. My other uses on an AR have been limited to a 3x prism, an optical red dot and a fixed power ACOG.

IMO, a 1x - 6x certainly allows easy shots out to around 400 yards on mansize target utilizing M193 ammo. I like a LVPO scope manily because it allows a very wide field of view for scanning at 1x thus eliminating need for spotting scope or binos. But this is my technique and I'm not utilizing the AR primarily for "hunting".

I do have variable power scopes on hunting rifles. Guess my concern with any 3 by 9, or higher power, would be the minimum usable distance you can focus clearly on a close target. Plus your respective fields of view across the magnification range will be reduced. Also consider the eye relief.

But given it appears you're stand hunting at a fixed target range I guess I'd be inclined to determine the maximum range you would be engaging a target and pick a magnification that will help you make a pinpoint, well placed shot. Like you said earlier you're hunting hogs. These guys get big and tough. Shooting a fully size Texas hog with an ,233/5.56 IMO requires both the right ammo and a well placed shot! I'd assume your using something like Barnes TSX or TTSX vice M193 or M855?

Not sure I've answered your question. If I were you I'd look at a 1x-8x scope. These might be a little more than you originally intended on spending but would certainly give you a lot of flexibility.

Hope this helps?

Regards

Barh, I understand your intended use especially given you have a 12ga for home defense so the AR wouldn't necessarily be used in that capacity.

I've never used any variable power scope on an AR/M4 other than a 1x - 6x. I know that the current trend in LVPOs is moving to 1x - 8x. My other uses on an AR have been limited to a 3x prism, an optical red dot and a fixed power ACOG.

IMO, a 1x - 6x certainly allows easy shots out to around 400 yards on mansize target utilizing M193 ammo. I like a LVPO scope manily because it allows a very wide field of view for scanning at 1x thus eliminating need for spotting scope or binos. But this is my technique and I'm not utilizing the AR primarily for "hunting".

I do have variable power scopes on hunting rifles. Guess my concern with any 3 by 9, or higher power, would be the minimum usable distance you can focus clearly on a close target. Plus your respective fields of view across the magnification range will be reduced. Also consider the eye relief.

But given it appears you're stand hunting at a fixed target range I guess I'd be inclined to determine the maximum range you would be engaging a target and pick a magnification that will help you make a pinpoint, well placed shot. Like you said earlier you're hunting hogs. These guys get big and tough. Shooting a fully size Texas hog with an ,233/5.56 IMO requires both the right ammo and a well placed shot! I'd assume your using something like Barnes TSX or TTSX vice M193 or M855?

Not sure I've answered your question. If I were you I'd look at a 1x-8x scope. These might be a little more than you originally intended on spending but would certainly give you a lot of flexibility.

Hope this helps?

Regards
You did, thanks man. Yeah with a .223 a good shot is required for pigs, but it’ll work. On one hunt with a .223 bolt action ruger I killed a turkey, a buck, and a pig. So I’d say the .223 is fairly versatile. If I shot the turkey with say a .270 there prob wouldn’t have been much meat left. As far as big Texas hogs go, they do get pretty big. But if you’re looking to eat one, you’re going to want to stay around the 60-100 some odd lb range. The big 250 pounders aren’t that good eating.

Barh, I have a couple of primary arms scopes and have no complaints.

Recommendations

If you're buying from Primary Arms and for your AR I'd strongly consider getting a scope with an ACSS reticle. Dimitri designed this reticle to be comparable with the AR ammunition. Link below details the reticle. IMO it's the best on the market today for an AR/M4. Plus it's recently been incorporated into an ACOG.

Secondly, a majority of their scopes are made in China so there may be some availability issues. Their top line scopes use quality Japanese glass but you will pay for it!

They typically offer both fixed and quick detatch mounts. If selecting a quick detatch mount you want to get one which will maintain zero when it's reinstalled. I'd spend some time reading user reviews before buying one. They are not all the same!

Regards

Barh, I have a couple of primary arms scopes and have no complaints.

Recommendations

If you're buying from Primary Arms and for your AR I'd strongly consider getting a scope with an ACSS reticle. Dimitri designed this reticle to be comparable with the AR ammunition. Link below details the reticle. IMO it's the best on the market today for an AR/M4. Plus it's recently been incorporated into an ACOG.

Secondly, a majority of their scopes are made in China so there may be some availability issues. Their top line scopes use quality Japanese glass but you will pay for it!

They typically offer both fixed and quick detatch mounts. If selecting a quick detatch mount you want to get one which will maintain zero when it's reinstalled. I'd spend some time reading user reviews before buying one. They are not all the same!

Regards

Another fella from work has this primary arms 2.5x on his. I might go take a look at it. Funny his one gripe is that he said he wished it had crosshairs. I’m guessing probably because that’s what he’s used to it.
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...-scope-with-patented-cqb-acss-reticle-pac2-5x

Barh, I suspect you are correct regarding what he's use to. Might ask him to explain the reticle!

I have a 3x prism simular to the one you referenced and once you truly understand the reticle capabilities it's very easy to use and accurate given its matched to the ammunition. I especially like it because it's very easy to measure distances to your target. Despite the scale being setup for mansize measurements it's easy to measure a animal size target distance If you estimate the proportions. The wind hold off capability is also useful If you hunt in areas with wind. It does take some time and effort to learn the capabilities but compared to other reticles the total firing solution is presented in the scope. When I first got it I sat for a couple of hours just studying the reticle and measuring distances. Eliminates the need for dope cards.

Like I said earlier Trijicon has recently incorporated the ACSS reticle into one of their newer ACOG models. I have not used one but it should actually improved the ACOG capabilities. ACOG is hard to beat but pricey.

Disclaimer - I have no financial interest in PA, just a satisfied customer.

Good luck on making your final choice. Please let's us know what you decided and how it works out.

Like I said earlier hope these exchanges of ideas are helpful.

Regards

Barh, I suspect you are correct regarding what he's use to. Might ask him to explain the reticle!

I have a 3x prism simular to the one you referenced and once you truly understand the reticle capabilities it's very easy to use and accurate given its matched to the ammunition. I especially like it because it's very easy to measure distances to your target. Despite the scale being setup for mansize measurements it's easy to measure a animal size target distance If you estimate the proportions. The wind hold off capability is also useful If you hunt in areas with wind. It does take some time and effort to learn the capabilities but compared to other reticles the total firing solution is presented in the scope. When I first got it I sat for a couple of hours just studying the reticle and measuring distances. Eliminates the need for dope cards.

Like I said earlier Trijicon has recently incorporated the ACSS reticle into one of their newer ACOG models. I have not used one but it should actually improved the ACOG capabilities. ACOG is hard to beat but pricey.

Disclaimer - I have no financial interest in PA, just a satisfied customer.

Good luck on making your final choice. Please let's us know what you decided and how it works out.

Like I said earlier hope these exchanges of ideas are helpful.

Regards
Quite helpful, thanks. I have some homework and “window shopping” to do. Thanks man

Robeman, here is a pic of a mildot reticle.
It came from link-> https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/mil-dot-made-easy/

It is helpful if you have a rifleman that is familiar with the system to help you out if written explanations seem way to long.

Once you have calibrated your rifle/ammo combination with range tests you'll make a "dope card" and tape it to the stock as a reminder.
There are other reticle designs that that are sort of "automatic" [BDC for instance] but a familiarity w/ mildot is a big help in understanding them. I wish I had my texts from artillery school to lend you, but there is plenty on the net to help you out.

I'm eager to follow your progress for your search for the right scope.

What do y’all think of this guy? Anyone ever heard of Riton?
This guy seems to like it.
https://www.impactguns.com/optics-s...-duplex-matte-black-019962523267-52326#apps47

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...iew-riton-rt-s-mod-3-gen2-1-4x24ir-scope/amp/

*EDIT*
Better yet, (maybe) Here is there fixed power 4x. It’s the first cheap one that I haven’t read reviews where they ended up breaking. Maybe not enough people have tried them, I dunno.

Sincerely
Bathrobeman. (Bahr was a typo...)
https://www.ritonoptics.com/product/rt-s-mod-1-4x32-wide-fov/
https://www.amazon.com/Riton-RT-S-4x32-Riflescope-Black/dp/B07SCPWZHY

Last edited:
The magnified scopes that I have on my AR's (coyote hunting) are all fairly low power.

1-4, 1-5, or even 1-6 power.

I own several "shotgun" scopes from tasco, bushnell, etc. They work really well. Even though they're not mounted onto a shotgun LOL

Some are called circle x reticle, others are called pro diamond or something like that.

Lq4NthB.jpg

Not optic related, but I got a sling & a recoil pad. The pad added the extra length that I was looking for.

Attachments

• 0E83289E-A1CC-4DDB-96E6-FAB2B44D6CA1.jpeg
    0E83289E-A1CC-4DDB-96E6-FAB2B44D6CA1.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 7
Well gents, I pulled the trigger on the Riton 4x32. It came out to be $59.53 shipped.
Now I need a mount that doesn’t suck, and preferably not $100. Does it take $100 to get a mount that’s not crap?
Thanks for all y’alls help thus far.

Mike

Back