• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Scoped or Iron Sights

Itsricmo

.30-06
Okay, I am in a dilemma! I just sold a Savage Stevens 200 ( I don't have money for the build so I sold it to stop tempting me) and I now have money for a Slug Barrel!

WHICH ONE THOUGH!!!

Should I get Iron Sights or Cantilever? Walmart has a good deal on the Cantilever (it comes with a Bushnell 3-9) and I have a $100 gift card. But I can get the Iron Sight model from Cheaperthandirt for the same price and use my Walmart gift card for groceries lol

Anyone have any reviews of their barrels? Thanks Guys!

If I had a choice between a barrel and groceries I would pick groceries and make due with what I had. :)

I can hit a pie plate at 50 yards pretty easily with rifled slugs and a bead sighted bird barrel.

I guess that's kind of a personal preference kind of thing.

One thing I like about a scope is that a decent one will add several minutes to my hunting day by allowing me to see detail that I can't pick out with my naked eye in the near darkness, even at short ranges.

On the other hand it does add weight to the gun which will be noticeable if you have to carry it for very long.

Ahh you get me wrong! I have a walmart gift card in addition to my funds (approx. $250). I can order the Scope Combo from walmart using my card and get groceries with cash or get Iron Sight barrel with cash and Groceries with card :p

LOL. I would go with the cantelever and scope. But that's just my preference

Sent from my G19 using Tapatalk 2

lol sent from your G19? Nevermind... :p

I am sick of going through scopes though.. part of the reason I got rid of my .308 is it destroyed every scope I got.. and this one is a bushnell that is pre-mounted to the combo pack.. I like the idea of the scope though.. Counter Terrorist Slug Gun :p It'd look like a sniper rifle haha

Idk I have a few days to decide.. maybe someone can come along with a good review or two :D

How's this idea sound:

Get the Iron Sight Model than buy the Bushnell Scope separate.. that way if I break another scope I still am not completely screwed! I even thought about getting the Bushnell T-Dot... Idk.. it's tough!

My personal preference is irons.

I dislike scopes with 12 ga slugs just cuz I cant get a decent cheek weld. I had a Bushnell 1x32 red dot on my 12 ga's and finally put it on my rifle cuz I didnt enjoy shooting the 12's with the sight.

I too have found like MikeD, I can put slugs in a 6 to 8" area at 50 yards with a bead, but how much better with irons that can be adjusted?

Yeah my thing is I need something that will stretch out too 100 yds and I had an H&R Tracker II that did the job awesome! That was with a 20" barrel so I know 24 can practically reach 125yd. With Irons it's hard to say but if I sight it in 1" high at 100 it should be about on at 125/135 I think. Really haven't gotten deep into it yet without having the barrel. BUT I think I am going with the Irons and updating too Fire Sight fibers :)

I also come to realize that if I get three touching shots of a .50 caliber bullet that could be a 1.5" group at 100yd.. bad for a rifle but I think GREAT for a shotgun! I'd be using either Hornady SST or Brenneke Black Magic Magnums - the latter has proven well in my first shotgun

I've had issues with cheap scopes falling apart as well. But if you get the barrel with the mount you can always upgrade the scope as money allows. I spent several hours one day with my ML chasing the X, thinking it was my load only to find out later that I had a lense in the scope that had vibrated loose and was cause the problem.

I've also had issues with getting a good cheek weld on a shotgun with a scope. I've heard some of the strap on stock pads help with that but I have no tried it.

Where I hunt I see most of the deer right at dawn or right at dusk and it is quite thick so a scope helps a lot.

I have the receiver mount that I can put a scope on if I need too. I just have put too much into scopes over the past few months to feel comfortable having that as my only go to for my 12g :p I get lucky and every deer I have shot or seen and passed on is right around 10am - 1pm :D I have seen the deer at Dusk and Dawn but not so often

Back