• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shell holder for mini shot shells for 500

GWarden

Copper BB
Can anyone advise shell holders for Mossberg 500 that is designed to hold the short mini defense shotshells?

I would think that any side shell holder would still fit them. Albeit maybe a little long.

I have a saddle on the side of my receiver made of plastic that I would suspect would still hold them.

I am not familiar with any side shell holder designed specifically for mini-shells.

But ESSTAC would maybe be a good choice.

The diameter is the same, so generally speaking you should be able to use any 12ga side saddle to hold any length shell from 3-1/2” down to 1-3/4”.

I have a couple of Tacstar side saddles, for 4 shells and for 6 shells. You can double load them with minishells if the loops are tight enough, or just single load them like you would any other shell.

For shotgun cards, buttstock cuffs, bandoliers, or slings with elastic loops you can single load them and they should work fine.

^That's a lot more streamlined than the side saddles that I've been using. I like that a lot.

The ones I'm using are shaped almost to the outside edge of the receiver itself. It's so big that you can't even read the serial number on it.

It's the best solution I've found so far. I'm a lefty, and the shell closest to the butt would rub my finger - particularly if it was a 2 3/4" round. This doesn't. I've been shooting minishells almost exclusively in the Shockwave, so the sidesaddle was always holding them. Now with the new Defender Tactical adapter, I can put full-sized shells in it...and it still works well.

I certainly appreciate anyone that makes a gun their own. Making it work for them. That's one of the best things that a guy can do for a tool he works with and actually uses.

I don't use mini shells but had a friend that does and I gave him a velcro attached ESSTAC shot card and he loads mini's from both the bottom and the top and it works very well.

Regards

I don't use mini shells but had a friend that does and I gave him a velcro attached ESSTAC shot card and he loads mini's from both the bottom and the top and it works very well.

Regards
Really! I'll have to give the ESSTAC another look - I guess those elastic loops are better than I first thought. Thanks Ernst!

Like I said I have no first hand knowledge with mini's but I've used the ESSTAC shot cards for years and they stay loaded with 00 buck and slugs and I've never had a shell drop out. Some of my spare cards have probably been loaded for 6 -8 years and I use them on a 500, a 590 and a shockwave without issue.

No tie to manufacture other than being a customer.

Regards

If you do decide to use the velcro shot cards get the industrial strength velcro (3M is a good brand) to use on your receiver. Just make sure it is clean and oil free before installing. It will not damage the receiver and if you ever need to remove it there are different oil based solvents which will desolve the adhesive.

One of the best attributes of the shot cards is you can rip off an enpty one off and attach a full one in a matter of seconds. Typically carry 2 or 3 in a dump pouch or cargo pocket for immediate access.

Regards

Back