• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave newbie bunch of random questions

Skullynyng

Copper BB
Just got my shockwave over the weekend. It's my first shotgun (yes I know it's technically a firearm). But I do have some questions. Which 590 parts are compatible with the shockwave? And can I turn it back into a 590 and back to a shockwave.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Hey Skull. Welcome to the Shockwave forum. I am not an expert, but the Shockwave receiver is a 590. Be careful if you change the rear grip or the barrel. Overall length is important. If you plan to make changes, there are lots of knowledgeable folks here to give advice. If this is your first "shotgun" I recommend caution with your forward hand, keeping it away from the end of the barrel. Don't let rapid fire, "hotdog" fun get your hand blown off. The Shockwave is a GREAT weapon that deserves a great deal of respect, and enjoyment. Personally, I have done "improvements", and still fantasize over other ideas. This is one of the most fun and exciting guns to be available.

As far as I know any 590 part in the receiver should fit. That includes the extended safety, rails, and side saddles. While you can put a 590 stock and barrel on the Shockwave, once you do that it is illegal to return it to the Shockwave configuration. While the odds of getting caught are very small, it will still send you to jail. The BATFE rules are not logical but are real. As Rico said, be careful with the Shockwave. It is a fun gun to shoot but takes getting used to. Start with low brass, lower recoil shells to get used to how the gun reacts when you shoot it. Be very careful if you hold the gun up to sight down the barrel. Don't let it sock you in the face from the recoil. Watch some videos on the web and you will learn a lot. Ask any question you have here. There are many members willing to help you. Enjoy.

Thank you all for your help and getting back so quickly. Does anyone know if any companies will make any kind of variant on the birds head grip all I've seen have been the grip stickers or the wood furniture

And can I turn it back into a 590 and back to a shockwave.

Not without paying the $200 tax stamp to create a short barrel shotgun (SBS) and a year or more wait to get the approved papers back and signed.

Now, if you want to go through the NFA (national firearm act) hoops, you sure can. Though I don't know why you'd ever want to take a buttstock back off of it and having a legal "sawed off" shotgun would be awesome.

Forgot to mention, if you live in Canada, you can. They don't have retarded gun laws concerning barrel length and overall length.

In the USA, you gotta pay to play.

Thank you all for your help and getting back so quickly. Does anyone know if any companies will make any kind of variant on the birds head grip all I've seen have been the grip stickers or the wood furniture

Current Shockwave owners (you included) are leading the way. Go with things available for the 590 and join us in waiting to see what the aftermarket brings.
Several of us are posting anything new we find available, so please let us know if you find a "treasure." And don't forget to post pictures.

Have you done anything to your new toy? What are you thinking of doing?

Have you done anything to your new toy? What are you thinking of doing?
Haven't done anything yet haven't even shot it yet don't wanna take it to a range and don't know anyone with land to shoot on.
I want forend with a solid loop. And/or I'm thinking of doing the grip and forend in the zombie green.

Skully, why don't you want to take it to a range? You could be the "best of show."
Get comfortable at home cycling the gun with it empty. Do not get in a hurry with this weapon. If possible, get yourself some dummy shotgun rounds.
Be slow and methodical. Go to the range and load two rounds. Cycle one and shoot from the hip, and cycle the other and shoot from the hip. Be sure to get a good grip and use the front hand strap. If you are happy, then load more. Remember to use the safety. If you decide to hold the weapon out and aim, be sure to keep it away from your face. Extend the front arm.
Everyone at the range will think you are the hottest guy in town.
Don't wait to add parts my friend....go shoot it. Your new toy is intimidating, but it is really a pussy cat.
You will come home with a smile bigger than the first time you conquered the roller coaster.

After you do that, get back to us and we will help you find what you want, if it is available. Maybe you can tell us where to buy Zombie Green.;)
Go have fun!

We don't have many good ranges here where I live. Most are tiny and I feel wierd using a "shotgun" in such a small area and most outdoor ranges seem to be geared for clays which I can't see myself shooting with this.

We don't have many good ranges here where I live. Most are tiny and I feel wierd using a "shotgun" in such a small area and most outdoor ranges seem to be geared for clays which I can't see myself shooting with this.

I'd like to see something like this that would fit the raptor handle
9bd7f2960751aa62a5f028532a4d6c1c.jpg

The guys at the range would be glad to see the Shockwave....I promise.
There are videos of guys on YouTube shooting clays with the Shockwave.

She's yours Skully....do it the way you want....get back and let us see it.:)

Just don't do pink....I can't stand pink....:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
I wonder if you can just plastidip it the color you like. It would also add more grip traction. Usually plastidip is not permanent and can be easily just peeled off if you chose to go back. If I were you I would buy some to experiment with before you try applying it to your shockwave furniture. They have a couple of greens that would fit the bill. This is blaze green but they also have sublime green.

PDS%20Blaze%20Green%2012-oz.jpg

I've watched some videos on Plasti Dip. Someone even painted a car with it and then peeled it off.
Is it durable? It could be a fun way to experiment with colors on guns before going with DuraCoat or CeraKote.

I've watched some videos on Plasti Dip. Someone even painted a car with it and then peeled it off.
Is it durable? It could be a fun way to experiment with colors on guns before going with DuraCoat or CeraKote.

Good question, I have used it for many years on aftermarket lips and add on pieces for cars and they held up great. The only time I have ever needed to fix any of it was when my wife's car plowed into a parking block and previous multiple driveway for years. I eventually just actually touched it up by adding more spray. I did not have to strip it and start all over or anything. The stuff can take a beating and worse case you peel it off and just start over. There are a few tricks to getting a nice and smooth coat. Obviously you should clean the surface thoroughly before applying and they sell adhesion promoting sprays as well if you want to go that route. I would let the plasti dip spray cans soak in a warm water bath before using and then just start spraying. Also just like spray painting, start off with light coats until it is evenly coated and then lay it on thick. It is said the thicker the end product is the easier it will actually peel off when you want to remove it. If you do not warm the cans before use the spray pattern has larger flakes in it so it has a less smooth finish and a more textured feel/finish instead. They are cheap enough you can pick up a can to play with and see if you like it or not before you decide to plasti dip any of the furniture.

I thought about doing the plasti dip. But had written it off after a search on line had me discouraged against doing it or that it wouldn't hold up, but you are right I can always play and re apply

What about painting metal, like the receiver, barrel, etc.?

I've had really good luck with Krylon brand paint. I didn't bother with using their plastic-specific formula. I used the standard Krylon on all plastics and metals for my .22 Savage FVSR project. I really wanted to paint my SilencerCo Sparrow to match, but it's illegal to obfuscate the serial number.

Spray paints will wear down in high contact areas. My bolt handle, cheek rest, buttstock end plate, etc now show wear after a few years of use. I applied a few coats of matte clear coat as a finishing step, just to add a little bit more durability, but that can only do so much...

If you want a finish that will hold up against hard use, you're going to need a cured finish of some sort. Gun-Kote, Cerakote, etc.

Before Krylon:

Q2Eyhom.jpg

After:
cONmJ1h.jpg

CkEbzi6.jpg

What about painting metal, like the receiver, barrel, etc.?
You can paint metal with it but I'm not sure how much heat it will hold up to though. I used it on an engine sparkplug cover before and it held up well, but I was using basic flat black, so it's not as noticeable if it did start to show any signs of immediate wear.

Back