• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave - Ready but Safe

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
Those of you who have read any of my earlier posts know that due to the potential threats including bears, cougars and bobcats we carry shockwaves on our tractors, our jeep and in our work truck daily when out working in the fields or in the woods. Recently a friend inquired how we carried our shockwave safely under somewhat rough conditions while maintaining it immediately ready to respond to an imminent threat. Thought I'd share the method we use to maintain what I call a "Ready but Safe" configuration. Others may utilize different carry methods which is fine but this one works for us.

First setup step is to ensure the weapon is completely unloaded, both the chamber and magazine. Secondly, with the safety off point the weapon in a safe direction and pull the trigger to release the firing pin. At this point the weapon is in a completely "safe" configuration. The trigger can be pulled at anytime without causing any harm. Plus, engaging the safety is not required.

Now you can load what ever type of shells required for your anticipated situation be it hunting, self or home defense, or other work related activities. The weapon safety remains off and the trigger, even if invertently engaged, will not result in any discharge since the firing pin has been disabled and chamber empty. However, the weapon remains immediately "ready" for action and requires only a single action, racking the slide, to chamber a live round.

Reducing the number of required actions to make the weapon immediately ready is absolutely necessary in a life threating situation like a bear charge or a break-in in the middle of the night. No fumbling with the slide release or safety. Essentially nothing to remember other than to rack in a shell.

However, no matter what method you use make sure the weapon is always maintained in the same configuration. Redundancy is the key to readiness.

One side consideration. Loading a mix of 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells "may" reduce the weapon's overall carry capacity.

Regards

Mine is as ready as it can be and I have enough ammo to last the rest of my life....I hope. I really, really, don't want to have to use it or any other gun I own on a criminal. Shoot someone and then the SHTF in other ways. Better than being attacked successfully by anyone. I believe in The Constitution. If everyone did then were, wait for it!!.....HONEST....., there would be a lot fewer problems. It can be a dark world but I'm glad people are getting armed because of bad people. Like Rodney King allegedly said: "Can't we all just get along?". Apparently not. Just pondering things again as I read this forum....Peace....

Back