• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave Trigger Group

Rico

20g
Supporter
Hey,
Newbie here. I have a Shockwave on order and wondered if it will come with a plastic or metal trigger housing? I want metal. I have already been to Numrich to see what is available for the 590 and there's no mention what they are made of, but, they are sold out, so I suspect they are metal. I have not tried to contact Mossberg yet.

My Shockwave has a plastic trigger guard. The Shockwave is built on the 590 receiver. Not the 590A1. Which means the Shockwave also has a plastic safety button, in case that matters to you.

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-are-the-differences-among-the-500-590-and-590a1.252/

"the 590A1 features some changes specifically to meet military standard 3443. The changes made to meet the military's stringent standards include a heavy wall barrel, and metal (aluminum alloy) trigger gaurd and safety button. The 590A1 receiver is also stamped on the left side with "M590A1"."

*edit* - Upon further thought, the Shockwave could be considered a blend of both the 590 and the 590A1 platforms. It has a heavy wall barrel like the A1 designation requires, but does not have the aluminum trigger guard, nor is it stamped 590A1 on the left side of the receiver.

Either way you want to skin this cat is fine. You can drop in a 590A1 trigger group with zero modifications. It's not exactly cheap, though.

Brownell's link to 590A1 trigger assembly. $168.

I personally believe there are other plastic parts that should be replaced before worrying about the trigger guard :)

ngyg7BL.jpg

Last edited:
Your answer is spot on. Thanks.
What other plastic should I consider changing?
I like the wood furniture on your Shockwave....very nice.
It looks like you changed your front bead and the safety button.

Your answer is spot on. Thanks.
What other plastic should I consider changing?
I like the wood furniture on your Shockwave....very nice.
It looks like you changed your front bead and the safety button.

Good eye.

Front sight is an "XS Big Dot" which has a tritium insert. Super easy install, but you have to supply your own JBWeld.

Safety is a ProMag brand. Identical to Brownells's metal safety. I personally think the stock plastic safety is fine. I have a 36-yr old Mossberg 500 that had a plastic safety. It eventually broke from me screwing around with it. I replaced it with a ProMag and liked the tactile feel of the blade. So I installed one on my Shockwave to maintain a familiar feel between them.

If you do want to replace the plastic safety, I'd be happy to send you the screw free of charge. Factory mossberg screw is a one-way pain in the ass. And most aftermarket safeties don't come with a screw. I bought a box of 100 low-profile hex cap screws (that's the only quantity they would sell at Fastenal), so I have 90 extras laying around.

The safety and the trigger guard are the only plastics on the receiver. Everything else is good to go. My suggestion that you replace other plastics first was in reference to my wood furniture.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The Big Dot and safety are two changes I feel certain I will make. I am considering a top rail with a Laser Max low profile laser. What do you think of a laser on the Shockwave? It would be for low light situations, not daytime.

I'm not a fan of lasers, but I make sure I have a light on all of my serious guns.

The Big Dot and safety are two changes I feel certain I will make. I am considering a top rail with a Laser Max low profile laser. What do you think of a laser on the Shockwave? It would be for low light situations, not daytime.

I found that I prefer to shoot mine while sighting down the barrel with the bead, not from the hip. So I choose not to run a laser. I tried a Venom red dot and hated it, thanks to no cheek weld or shoulder stock. It was like shooting a heavy and unwieldy pistol.

I can see how a laser would be a huge benefit to a Shockwave that's fired from the hip or other, non-traditional styles. But I'm not a fan of something that you'll need to find the "ON" switch to before it works in a SHTF situation. So I guess I'd prefer a laser that has a pressure switch that activates whenever you hold the gun. Not sure if there's a viable option for that on a shockwave length forend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of lasers, but I make sure I have a light on all of my serious guns.
I also dont care for a laser myself. However i found they can be useful. My father was an excellent marksmen but later in life he was diagnosed with Parkinson's and as tremors got worse he simply could no longer get a viable sight picture. I tried a laser he was able to keep that bouncing ball on a silhouette. I set him up with laser on an 870 and glock 17. Green worked best for him though he did purchase an LCr for carry which was red. 2nd example was instructing lady in handgun. She was cross eye dominant we addressed that and she was getting better with practice but sometimes out of the blue she could not even hit paper ? I would readdress fundamentals and sight picture. Finally she revealed to me ahe had an occular disease which caused a floating blur in her close up vision ? I brought dads glock next class and bingo she was punching nice groups and double taps with ease. So for her laser was good option too.

Those are good reasons to go with a laser.

But not to replace good marksmanship if you're able though.

I had a Crimson Trace in my Glock 19 and found it to be more of a novelty. I played with one on a Ruger LCP and didn't care for it. As you say, nothing beats marksmanship. However, firing a shotgun from the hip can lead to being off center. I thought the small profile laser on the top of the Shockwave would give more accuracy in low light conditions, and allow the weapon to slide in a scabbard. I think the Big Dot would definitely help in quick target acquisition when sighting down the barrel, and I hope to put one on my Shockwave. I reckon my next question is how difficult was it to remove the bead and install the Big Dot. Thanks to everyone for your input.

It's a lap job - meaning something you can easily do with minimal tools while the gun is cradled in your lap.
The big dot comes with a larger brass bead. The actual sight sits down on top of the larger bead and is held in place by JBWeld (or similar epoxy compound of your choice)

The barrel comes parkerized from the factory, which makes a fantastic surface for adhesive bonding. No need to scuff up mating surfaces for better adhesion. Those are generic recommendations for JBWeld, and might be necessary for blued or chromed barrels that have smooth finishes.

Simply unscrew the factory installed bead.
Install larger brass bead.
Wipe down the area with rubbing alcohol to remove oils, lint, fingerprints, etc.
Prep a small amount of JBWeld
Apply JBWeld to the underside of the new sight, including inside the hole where the bead presses on.
Press the sight down onto larger bead
Hold in place with zip ties or rubber bands for 24hrs while the epoxy cures. Make sure you sight down the barrel to verify the Big Dot isn't crooked after you zip-tie or rubber band it! Once the epoxy cures overnight, you'll be stuck with whatever position it is in.

Use rubbing alcohol to clean up any excess JBWeld on your barrel. It's very easy to remove with alcohol and a cloth, q-tip, etc while it's still wet.

Do your best to get a good bead of epoxy all around the sight base. No gaps, cracks or voids where water might enter. Similar to bathtub caulking. It doesn't have to be big, wide and ugly like a bathtub bead. You just want a good, solid seal all the way around the sight base. If you don't like it or goof it up, take it off and clean it up with rubbing alcohol until you get it right.

D4k83rw.jpg

Thanks. Nice to know the beads are held on with screws. I was afraid it needed grinding off.
I talked to my LGS today. They can't pin down a delivery date. I was quoted $370 out the door which I think is a good price, but I may have to look around for quicker delivery. I am 70 years old and ain't got too many more days to enjoy my toys....so I want it NOW....:)

Thanks. Nice to know the beads are held on with screws. I was afraid it needed grinding off.
I talked to my LGS today. They can't pin down a delivery date. I was quoted $370 out the door which I think is a good price, but I may have to look around for quicker delivery. I am 70 years old and ain't got too many more days to enjoy my toys....so I want it NOW....:)
70 is the new 50 Rico. You got lots time to drive the ladies crazy keep livin the good life.

:rolleyes:...thanks for the boost.

Hey, I just noticed your signature.....I couldn't agree more.....it just keeps gettin' harder.

Nice to know the beads are held on with screws.

Just a minor note: The bead is the screw.

It holds itself in place by threading directly into the barrel. Just like a light bulb in a socket.

When you do finally get your new shockwave, put some masking tape on your barrel around the front bead. Grab that little guy with a pair of pliers, vice grips or whatever and give it the 'ol lefty-loosy. It's brass, so it'll get chewed up, but you won't be needing it. The Big Dot should be considered permanent, thanks to the JBWeld. No going back to a simple brass bead once the epoxy cures.

IMG_4641.JPG IMG_4654.JPG A permanent Big Dot is good.
Here are a couple of pics of my mod on a Maverick 88. I put on a HiViz front sight, a locally made turkey choke, a youth rear stock, and a green Duracoat paint job. As you can see, it is not a safe queen and it makes a good truck/farm gun. Numerous snakes and vermon could be etched into its stock. Your front sight upgrade is just the kind of mod I can get in to.

Does the Big Dot change the point of aim with the Shockwave, say out to 15 yards?

Wish I could tell you. I installed the Big Dot before I shot it.

I can't imagine it would have much of a measurable change at 15 yards or closer.

I was easily hitting 12oz soda cans at 20 yards with 1oz slugs using a dead-on hold. Big Dot covered most of a soda can at that range. I shot with both eyes open, put the soda can behind the dot, and bingo. I didn't try shooting further distances. There was still too much snow in the mountains for me to want to trek thru it to setup my targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been having to sight low with the factory bead, so I figured I would have to use the center dot on the Big Dot. Thanks.
Did you get my PM?

Back