• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave vs Keltec KS7

Let me begin by saying that i live in a state where I can't just buy a Shockwave. However, with an NFA tax stamp, I could build something very close or identical. I would need to get it under 26 inches to qualify it as an AOW, which is allowed in my state with tax stamp. Once stamp acquired, receiver engraved, etc. I could apparently put it back over 26 inches and have a more or less a factory stock Shockwave. In theory, I could also put a brace on it, but probably wouldn't - just too hard to explain if I got pulled over.

This would cost me lot more than for you guys who live in states where you can just buy a Shockwave. Nevertheless, this was my plan, and I ordered a PGO 590 with an 18.5" barrel, the 514 conversion barrel, mag tube and spring in contemplation of this project.

I'm getting cold feet. Legal situation is complicated, no ranges around me would let me shoot a Shockwave and I don't have access to private land to shoot. I could shoot it on BLM land, but that is a long drive. Cost is high, and it's a lot of hoops to jump through for a toy I couldn't play with much.

So I am thinking of ditching the Mockwave AOW plan and getting a Keltec KS7 instead. Before anyone asks, my intended use is smashing pumpkins, with maybe exploding some cabbages every now than as well depending on produce prices. I don't plan to use this for HD, close quarters combat in Afghanistan, zombie hunting, etc. I have other shotguns, tried, true, reliable, and equipped with should stocks, for those tasks. Here are my thoughts on the relative merits of KS7 compared to shockwave.

Pros:
- You can shoulder the KS7!
- Overall length approximately the same. KS7 slightly heavier but not significantly so.
- KS7 holds six rounds in the mag, as opposed to Shockwave five. KS7 can shoot mini shells out of the box without an adapter.
- I can shoot it at lots of ranges around here.
- No 'splainin' to do if get pulled over by a cop.

Cons:
- KS7 reliability questionable. The Shockwave action and manual of arms is well proven and familiar to me.

I know this is a hotbed of Mossy fans, and I am one of them. I would probably get different input on the Keltec Owners Group. But I am interested in your thoughts on the pros and cons of the two. Anyone own both?

Back