• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shooting ranges near Lafayette Hills PA??

Daryll

.270 WIN
Hi All....

I'll be staying at Lafayette Hills PA for a business conference in the middle of May 2017, and looking for somewhere to "pay and play".....

Can anyone suggest a range thats fairly close, (not sure if I'll have a rental car or not at the moment), does lane and gun rental, (mainly pistol, but semi-auto rifle would also be fun) and will deal with "foreigners"...??
(I can bring my Uk Firearm Certificate, showing what I own in the Uk, and my NRA of UK card, if that helps...)

Thanks in advance

Daryll.

Daryll, I think your intentions to shoot in PA next May are great. From the link that SHOOTER13 provided above I see that there is a club that is less than 20 miles from Lafayette Hills. It is a private club, but I see that they hold public competitions. Pistol IDPA and IPSC. Rifle CMP.

What I would do if I were you is contact someone in the club via email and ask for advice.

Specifically, with my interests, I would proceed to contact the IDPA Match Director via email. Walter Mosetter's address is mosetter@aol.com

You should tell him your schedule and what you are interested in doing and take it from there. IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) is one of the friendliest organisations to new participants around.

I've been a match director for IDPA and other competitions. If I were to get such a call from you I would feel honored. I would arrange to pick you up, take you to my range as a guest, supply you with guns, ammo, targets, and dinner.

If you feel you need an introduction, I'd be happy to make some initial contacts for you. Just contact me in a Conversation here on the forum and I'll find out what you need and let you know what I can offer.

Use these links for planning and contacts for
Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club

:
http://lprgc.org/
http://lprgc.org/?page_id=60 <-- That is their IDPA page
http://lprgc.org/?page_id=28 <-- That is their calendar, just change months till you get to May.

Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club features a number of different ranges for use by our members and their guests.
Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club is located in Audobon, PA at 2857 Egypt Rd.
For more information they can be contacted via phone at (610) 666-7460

Many thanks Shooter13 and Scoop....

Looking at the Lower Providence calendar for May, they have an Action Pistol evening on Tuesday 16th May, which will will coincide with my conference, (15th to 18th May) so thats a definate possibility.
Unfortunately I won't be there for their IPDA match on the 27th.

When I know more details about the conference, and whether they have any evening events planned, i'll get in touch with the Match Director.

Thanks again.

Daryll.

Hey Scoop... I must admit I haven't done anything about it yet, the timing for the conference is still "fluid" at the moment... only last week my US co-worker who is also going to the conference changed the day we drive down there... which meant changing 3 hotel reservations... o_O

Hopefully in the next week or so arrangements will be nailed down, so I can contact the club and see what they can offer.

Regards,

Daryll.

Things just got better.. :D

2 people from our US site are now going to the same conference, and yesterday i emailed them both to ask if they'd be interested in going shooting one evening.

One said she'd be fine with doing the driving, but not interested in shooting. The other person said that sounds great, hes into shooting and belongs to a gun club in NJ..!!
He offered to take me next time I was there... i said i'll be there the week before the conference, and was looking for something to do over the weekend..!!

So definitely some shooting somewhere.. :D

Hi Scoop... no, no contact with the Lower Providence club yet... I don't know whether to just go with my co-worker to his NJ club...

I'd suggest you go w/ the guy who is in the NJ club. Your contact is pre-made and if anything goes wrong it is not on you. Sounds like a winner for you.

Hey Scoop...
Nope, Donald didn't stop me coming in...

I arrived on Tuesday 9th May, and into work Wed, Thur, Fri. On Saturday my work colleague Paul took me to his range and we spent some time on the rifle range with his AR, but as it was that very wet and cold weekend, we didn't stay there long. We then went into the indoor range and used his 1911 and SIG 226... I think I must have burned a 100 rnds through each..!!

During the week at work someone had asked what I was doing over the weekend, and I mentioned shooting on Saturday. They then said that their husband was a shooter, and later that day came back and said I had a date for Sunday, her husband would take me to his range during the evening...!!
Stuart (actually a Brit who's been working in the US for many years), took me to his indoor range, and started me off with a Ruger Mk1, then onto his SIG 226, and finally his Kimber 1911 Commander.
I think I used about 100 9mm, and 50 or so .45... to be honest, the Commander wasn't as nice to shoot as Paul's full size 1911, and Stuart's Commander spat brass straight back,, I still have a crescent shaped scratch on my forehead where the rim of a .45 caught me.

Paul and I were driving down to Philly on the Monday for a Conference, but as we couldn't check-in until 4:00, we'd planned to go back to his range Monday Morning... as it turned out his little girl was poorly that morning, so he had to take her to the Dr.s and I got a lift with my other colleague.... a shame we missed out on a mornings shooting, but obviously his little girls health came first.

So, overall a very good business trip!!... approx 150 rnds of .45, and 200 9mm, as well as maybe 100 .223 and 50 .22rf.
... All through guns I can't own in the UK... :D

I'm back at work now (still in the US), flying home tonight (Friday), but when I get home I'll post a couple of pics that I took on Paul's range.

Regards,

Daryll

Last edited:
I am really happy you got all that shooting in interlaced with your work. It may not have been the perfect weather or schedule but you shot a lot more than I did that same week.

Thanks Scoop.... and the registration for the NRA World Shooting Championships has now opened, so it looks like I'll be in VA in Sept.. :D

Nearly forgot the pics.... I forgot to mention we picked up Pauls buddy who'd just bought an XDM .45 It took me a mag to get used to striker fired after using the 2 hammer guns, but the 2nd mag went better.

Pauls 1911 and SIG 226
05eef7ae05.jpg

Penultimate target.... i was getting my sh*t together by then.. ( all shooting done at 10 yards)
05ef11e943.jpg

Last target... last 10 rnds of 45 in the 10 ring...and a load of 9mm to the head/throat...

05ef2aa2b8.jpg

Back