• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shortened the 935 stock tonight

SWIGIN

I have always been bothered by the LOP of my 935 so tonight I did something about it. I cut 1/2'' off the stock but till I squared it up on the belt sander it became 9/16''... no biggie.

I then instead of cutting my nut (the one that holds the stock on) like most seem to do, I turned half the threads out of the nut on my lathe. Next I made a new shorter spacer and cut the recoil tube.

The factory pad took the most work to get to fit back on. I belt sanded the two raised areas at the screw holes flush. The I had to shorten the top screw about 5/16'' since it seemed to bottom out before getting tight. I then used my die grinder with a square ended bit to recces the pads mounting bosses in the stock and to reshape the stepped in area of the pad to fit inside the smaller stock area.

Lastly I reshaped the pad on the belt sander to match the stock. I used masking tape on the stock but I did burn through one little spot.

I kinda get in the mood and attach projects like this so I didn't get any pics while this was going on but I do have pics of the aftermath.

Well, my picture posting site is acting up. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can.

Good job on shortening your stock. I installed the included ¼” comb drop shim pads to the stock on my 935 to get my eye down to the proper position, but that little shim lengthened my already too long LOP. I only sanded about 1/8” off the rear of the stock & the rear screw extension numbs on the rear of the butt pad to fit in altered stock which was about the difference in the added LOP of the stock shim returning LOP to 14” on mine. I'd like to remove about another 1/8" to 1/4" more, but it is usable as is now. You would think that a major shotgun manufacturer like Mossberg would design it so it would be much easier to shorten LOP on these plastic stocks, since not all shooters are the same size, and LOP is a important consideration for many shooters. The included comb drop shims was a good idea, so why not incorporate LOP shims as well.

Thanks!

I like your idea of them making LOP shims, maybe some day.

If you would like I am willing to modify your nut like I did at no charge just pay for shipping. You could then shorten the factory spacer or make a shorter spacer and get your LOP to where you want it.

Back