• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shot my new Maverick 88 today

Sounds great! I'd save the rest of your high brass until it comes back on store shelves or online sales.

I mixed some high brass in with some low brass, 4 and 7.5 shot, same velocity. I can't really tell the difference. Except in the cost. Low brass was cheaper. BUT, high brass may be more reloadable. I want to look in to that sometime.

Reloading shotshells is fun. There are a lot of members here who load their own shells.

I just have a cheap Lee loader which has worked well for me. There are more expensive MEC loaders that you will not be able to wear out in two or three lifetimes.

Congratulations, Pepi. I share your feelings. I bought a new 20 gauge 88 four years ago and never once regretted it. Operates flawlessly every time. I've shot probably 1000 rounds thru it; mostly birdshot, but some buckshot, too. I'm not sure I'd want to experience 30 rounds of buckshot, tho, even 20 gauge. Enjoy your new shooter. You'll never be sorry.

What a nice gun for the price. Shot 30 rounds and not one failure. I will say, the high brass buckshot put a bruise on my shoulder. Pretty light gun
I’m not exactly a weenie, but when I first got my Mav the recoil took the fun out of shooting it. I went out on a limb and bought a Limbsaver recoil pad and I can’t now shoot all day with no shirt on if I wanted to. It was a well spent $40.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KCS5SNY/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

I’m not exactly a weenie, but when I first got my Mav the recoil took the fun out of shooting it. I went out on a limb and bought a Limbsaver recoil pad and I can’t now shoot all day with no shirt on if I wanted to. It was a well spent $40.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KCS5SNY/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
Thanks for the link! I've got an older Blackhawk Gen 1 sitting here but I want to keep this gun a 'SHOTGUN' and not a combat-looking weapon. I've got a Blackhawk on my 500 and you can shoot high brass all day without any pain

Thanks for the link! I've got an older Blackhawk Gen 1 sitting here but I want to keep this gun a 'SHOTGUN' and not a combat-looking weapon. I've got a Blackhawk on my 500 and you can shoot high brass all day without any pain
It’s a recoil pad. Not a bayonet.

Take a peek at the action bars. See how it’s a little on the top and bottom where they ride in the groove? It’s relatively easy to smooth the surface with some fine grit sandpaper. I smoothed out pretty much every moving part on mine. It’s pretty slick and it takes a lot less effort to operate.
The Mcarbo trigger spring is a decent upgrade but I was able to reduce the weight even further by sanding on the trigger group some. It took a little effort but not much money to make it “better” than the next tier up entry level shotguns, such as a Rem 870 or a Benelli Nova.

*Mcarbo springs only*
Hard to see but the pull weight with the Mcarbo springs and DIY trigger job is around 3 pounds. With just the Mcarbo springs it was 5.5 lbs.
*Mcarbo springs and DIY trigger job.

I may try the trigger job. Looks easy with the wooden tool. I'm just wondering about a 3 lb trigger on a shotgun? Worth a try though

I may try the trigger job. Looks easy with the wooden tool. I'm just wondering about a 3 lb trigger on a shotgun? Worth a try though

I have that kit. The springs alone made some improvement but it wasn’t as light as 3 lbs. It was something like 5 pounds. I used a luggage scale to measure the pull weight, so I don’t know how accurate it is. But I do know that after I smoothed out the trigger group with sandpaper it was over two lbs lighter than it was with just the Mcarbo springs. With my luggage scale the pull weight with the original trigger group and Mcarbo springs was 5.5 lbs. After I “polished” all of the moving parts it was a little over three lbs. It was 3.17 lbs or something like that. It shoots well at that weight. It’s not a “hair trigger,” you still have to intentionally pull it. But it’s a crisp and easy pull. I hadn’t had any failures to fire. It still goes boom every time. The springs are worthwhile, but it’s not night and day. It’s more like night and dusk.
Did your Limbsaver make it yet? That one is a night and day.
Does yours have the 18.5” barrel?

I have that kit. The springs alone made some improvement but it wasn’t as light as 3 lbs. It was something like 5 pounds. I used a luggage scale to measure the pull weight, so I don’t know how accurate it is. But I do know that after I smoothed out the trigger group with sandpaper it was over two lbs lighter than it was with just the Mcarbo springs. With my luggage scale the pull weight with the original trigger group and Mcarbo springs was 5.5 lbs. After I “polished” all of the moving parts it was a little over three lbs. It was 3.17 lbs or something like that. It shoots well at that weight. It’s not a “hair trigger,” you still have to intentionally pull it. But it’s a crisp and easy pull. I hadn’t had any failures to fire. It still goes boom every time. The springs are worthwhile, but it’s not night and day. It’s more like night and dusk.
Did your Limbsaver make it yet? That one is a night and day.
Does yours have the 18.5” barrel?
I haven't ordered the Limbsaver yet. Been shooting low brass and it doesn't hurt. Mine is the 20 inch barrel

Back