• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun Bead Sights

Re: any comments on the truglo shotgun sight?

This is something I was lookin at doin too... till I talked to TruGlo. I really dont wanna put more holes in my barrel and I'm not kean on things like this that are permanent.

I guess it doesnt have to be permanent, but the second hole will always be there.

Just merged my Meprolight thread! I'll get some pics soon and will also show the Meprolight behind the Coast light I just put on it!

Here is a pic finally of my Meprolight tritium bead!

file.php

Also, something Kungfunerd mentioned in the FO thread that I want to include here as its relevant.;

The Meprolight bead is a higher profile than the factory bead. What that meansd is your hold on target needs to be higher, a 6 o'clock hold isnt going to do it.

I recently discovered this my self. I hadnt had problems so much at close ranges like HD/SD ranges I test buckshot at, but I've also been wing shooting and breaking clays. Its only during firing at clays I realized I was shooting under my targets and was only hitting like 60%. I adjusted my aim and did much better!

Kinda explains how that pheasant got past me and was subsequently lost to another group of shooters who BTW collected the bird and walked away. You know the fault couldnt be my shooting ability! :lol:

okay guys first off i own a maverick 88 , and i've been scouring the net in search of "replacement sights" . as you know the maverick's sights have some what of a learning curve to them being that the "mid-bead" is off center from the front bead. i've heard that this is a "lead sight" which i figured but i would like a more high visibility sight for easy target acquisition . Also i have little to no experience on making modifications to guns, so the easier to install the better !

Thanks for your replies in advance !

So is the Mav set up with a vent rib barrel or mid bead as in a 3 dot rifle sight set up?

I apologize, I'm unfamiliar with the Mav's and a mid-bead design.

Rossignol said:
So is the Mav set up with a vent rib barrel or mid bead as in a 3 dot rifle sight set up?

I apologize, I'm unfamiliar with the Mav's and a mid-bead design.

it has the vent rib barrel with a golden "mid-bead" in addition to the standard bead front sight

Re: Meprolight Tritium Mossberg 500/590 Shotgun Bead

blue said:
Hmm... I wonder how some blue loc-tite would hold up? I had to torque my Truglo Fatbead WAY past the point of comfort for me to get it to line up. It's all metal, but I still had my fingers crossed. I'm torn between this, the truglo universal snap on sight DHonovich posted and just slapping the white bead that came on my 835 barrel on my 590a1. I had heard on the internet, which as we all know is the best source for accurate information :lol: that the bolt for the truglo Fatbead extends down into the actual barrel when put on a ribless 590a1 barrel.

I go the blue loctite route and haven't had an issue with beads comming loose even when the sight turns slightly past where it needs to be. As long as it's close, within an eight of a turn I loctight it and back it up square. Bear in mind I've only done this on a ribbed barrel which IMHO is easier to work with than a plain barrel.

I did test it to see if it would hold by giving the loctite a week or so to cure and then tried to remove the sight. It took some effort to get it to let go, so it should hold up under use. I do believe that one will stay put.

On another truglo sight that didn't quite line up, I found there was a very slight taper to the bottom of the sight housing. I used a fine file to take the taper down and get me close to where I wanted the sight to be and then used loctite and the last eighth of a turn to snug it up. I'm more comfortable with the way this one mounted up Than I am with the previous one.

I'm giving the Truglo universal long bead fiber optic sight a try. The Truglo universal comes in two pieces a base and several small screws with different thread patterns. I can see where it would be easy to screw up the installation with this sight, because it's two itty bitty pieces, that screw together. Since there are some internet horror stories that this sight pops off falls apart etc. I thought I see. So far so good. I have a one piece truglo standing by, just in case. :lol:

I just installed a truglo starbrite on a plain barrel.

After getting the sight to set where I wanted it to, I trimmed the post and left it slightly long, to where it barely protruded into the bore. I then put a piece electricians tape inside the barrel under the sight bead and using an bent needle file (oval shape) I took the post the rest of the way down to flush. What worked slick was the tape stayed put and with slight filing just the raised nub of the post was exposed.

LDA22 said:
okay guys first off i own a maverick 88 , and i've been scouring the net in search of "replacement sights" . as you know the maverick's sights have some what of a learning curve to them being that the "mid-bead" is off center from the front bead. i've heard that this is a "lead sight" which i figured but i would like a more high visibility sight for easy target acquisition . Also i have little to no experience on making modifications to guns, so the easier to install the better !

Thanks for your replies in advance !

Lead sight?? Really never heard of this.
I have seen mid beads on Mossbergs that were off center.
I just figured that it was poor quality control.

Edit:
Thinking about this more and more and even searching on the web. Anybody please confirm anything about a "LEAD SIGHT" on a shotgun.

I can't speak from knowledge, but the idea of a lead sight sounds pretty silly... it would only work if the target was moving at the right relative motion for "that much" lead to be correct.

It would also only work goin one direction. Say the mid bead is set to the left. Or right?

I have seen that mid bead off center an a couple of Mossberg.
I will continue to chalk it up to POOR QC and I will continue to recommend to those that buy such barrels to return them for replacement.

DSCN0050.jpg
DSCN0048.jpg
DSCN0042.jpg

Since I'm in the mood to post pictures :lol:
This is the truglo bead I recently installed. I know that the post inside the barrel looks like it is slightly raised up but it is flush.

Thanks!
I do like the green ones, reds good too, and I have a red one, saving it for another time.

I had to check the midbead on my VR barrel it's centered, whew!
I think an offcenter midbead would drive me nuts, I'd pull it and drop a plug in the hole.

Here is the Meprolight I put on my 500. The sight doesn’t line up right when tight so I used I tiny o ring under it , squared it up and locktighted it for now…..seems solid. I like it a lot, the hold is not 6 o’clock but POI, which I am totally used to now from shooting my CZ and that’s how I had the micro reflex set up as well. Every bit as accurate and quick as the micro reflex I had on there.

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

Really cool Oli! My hold is the same, which took me a little to get used to at first, I kept wantin to hold 6 o'clock and it wasnt until I totally missed a pheasant at a rather close range, like within 15 yards, that I noticed. Went back to the shotgun range to pattern and was able to see how low my POI was compared to POA. It was unreal at 35 yards with a load that patterns for me pretty tightly.

Didnt take too long to figure out afterwards and started patterning loads centered over the bull. Its a nice alternative for a traditional bead and easy to see and pick up in the day light, just happens to glow in the dark too!

Looks good on there Oli!

Has anyone tried the Hi-Viz snap on sight? It looks like an alternative to completely replacing the bead sight. Would leave the brass bead there in case something happened to the Hi-viz

Back