• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SHOTGUN: Holographic/Red Dot Sight Options

I'm having a hard time picturing a receiver mounted optics base that won't obstruct your view of the bead or at least interfere with a proper sight picture using the top of the receiver as your sighting plane. There may be some type of mount out there that'll accomplish this, but I've never seen or heard of it...

Code from the Mossberg site spreadsheet translates as:

FO Front: Fiber Optic Front Bead Sight

A little ambiguous. FO front, bead rear>>FO Front: Fiber Optic Front Bead rear??

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I'm having a hard time picturing a receiver mounted optics base that won't obstruct your view of the bead or at least interfere with a proper sight picture using the top of the receiver as your sighting plane. There may be some type of mount out there that'll accomplish this, but I've never seen or heard of it...
Hence my line of questions....

6473885745_04e66b9d27_m.jpg

Maybe for the 930? Sit it back far enough? Gun in hand will help a lot.

6473885783_cd0b91884b_m.jpg

See through tunnel below rail for iron sights on SKS - this is whole receiver replacement

Ok, in your introduction thread you listed the model number as 85235. That particular model does come with a front FO bead, but there is no rear sight. Your problem is going to be that any optics base you attach to the top of the receiver will completely block your sight plane and render the front bead useless. You won't be able to properly align the bead flush with the top of the
Shotgun_Bead_Sight_Alignment.jpg

The photo above illustrates the proper sight picture. Even factory picatinny receiver top-rail with no optics mount will obscure the view of the front bead. I just don't see how you're going to be able to use the bead sight in conjunction with an optic.

there are bases that are cut down the middle, troughed with an end mill, so a base is possible but the see through mount you are looking at will throw it off due to the hole being too high to use the bead.....even if it did work the optic would be so high your cheek wouldn’t even be touching the stock when sighting

Got it. So co-witness is out. I'll give the rail and a decent 1X a try - it's easy enough to reverse but was SUCH an improvement on the rifle with decent target acquisition and tight groups killing paper at 75yds. I'll drop another $200 if needed but am still looking for solid bright daylight recommendations. I'll hit some other boards and drop any solid info here as well.

Thanks!

Cool, sorry, I have no exp with 1x power tube optics....for me if it doesn’t magnify its going to be a reflex or holo type. Good luck on your search

The couple things we've posted thus far will al work in bright light.

Yeah, the co-witness is def out.

Rossignol said:
Oli, thats sweet, I need to get a few in the dark pics!

So many Bushnell folks! Ben, thats the very red dot I wanna get!

Heres a better pic where youre able to see how high off the comb it is.
197526_1682927068097_1085205913_31463285_7589702_n.jpg

I see now what you mean. That would likely work great on anything with a straight stock (AR, M4 style stock on nearly any firearm). Would one of the ATI Akita stocks work out better? That would keep the "stock" look with a raised comb.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/p-168-akita ... stock.aspx

I don't understand most of the aftermarket stocks as they obstruct the back of the trigger guard. I use my right (trigger) finger to press the action lock button. With one of those I'd have to roll my thumb around the left side to actuate the button.

I'm running a cheap (as in $20 shipped) Tasco RedDot for now. The dot actually seems to have pretty good resolution and height is very good.

P1010900.jpg

P1010922.jpg

Kent

Thats pretty cool TG! I like that fiber optic too and that height is definitely more like what I wanna get too.

I haven't tested my theory yet, but my thinking is that when looking through the optic, the fiber optic bead would be closer to POI at distances less than 5 yards. I'll have to do a little testing.

Kent

Topgear said:
I'll have to do a little testing.

Kent

Yeah man! Do it, it will be cool to see how it turns out!

With that Bushnell I have, I cant see my bead at all. I considered doin something like the Cavalry Arms A2 styled front blade for co witness, but I dont know I wanna get into all that and no way to gaurantee a match with out careful measurements.

Cavalry Arms SST Front Sight
SST-FSB-01.jpg

SST-FSB-02.jpg

Yeah, if you're not happy with the height of the optic, it's probably best to not waste money getting an iron sight to co-witness it. Keep us posted on what you end up with, and I appreciate all the advice!

Kent

My 930 (24" Turkey drilled and tapped) came in Monday as planned. The sights are 1 green front fiber optic shaft and 2 red rears. I grabbed an assortment of ammo and headed to an indoor range with that and a Glock with new sights to test both.

In daylight the fiber sights were a bit small but much better than I had expected. At the range they came up short - the range itself was well lit but the booth was pretty dim so they didn't have much juice to light them up. Sight acquisition was slow.

The XXFull choke that came with the gun shot nice tight patterns with 7 1/2 and 8 that I had in stock. I switched to a MOD choke and ran some 2 3/4 #0 buck through it - fun and good groups. I ran out of that and loaded #00 3" magnum for some big boom. Ran like a champ and I picked up my earmuffs off the floor more than once. I was getting close to my hour in the booth (did the Glock first) and ran my "BG in the house" test. 5 shots with the big buck and fastest possible shot recovery at 30' - that's the pic posted here.

I have a family heirloom Browning Auto5 that I shoot but I do baby it. It's pre 1939 and I'm the 3rd generation to have it. The 930 auto is going to be a lot of fun to cut loose with and it may end up and auto 9 or 10 soon enough.

The rail goes on tonight and I should have a TG8360B TruGlo red/green reflex here by the weekend. More on that soon.

6512918157_51f6ee7c80_b.jpg

"BG in the house, fast recovery set" shot 3,4,5,1,2 for a variation - by 1,2 I was not quite recovered and shot high.

6512918347_0ab8bcd2b4_z.jpg

Nice work, and I really appreciate seeing patterns like this and knowing what it was fired from exactly, and load used!

I cant get enough of ammo patterning and I really cant wait till I can get the same gun you have! Its at the top or near top of my must have guns right now!

Uhhh, wait... sorry for goin off topic there.

So youre wanting to switch to the TruGlo reflex? Post it up when you get it!

Yes, the red / green fiber tube sights would work okay in certain applications. Like I said, they were better than I expected but poor performers in the light situation described. I put the Weaver rail on this AM and the TRUGLO reflex sight may arrive tomorrow. I'll post up once I get to the range which will be ASAP. After a lot of looking (and reading reviews) the TRUGLO was a bang for the buck buy with a warranty. I'll see how it holds up - fingers crossed. ;)

NOTE: the Weaver rail kit for the Mossberg auto group is nicely made, affordable and a perfect match BUT it came with 4 equal length 8 x 40 machine screws and the front 2 holes over the receiver are shallow - too shallow for the screws provided. A little Dremel and file work got it done but if I made a mistake I would have to head to a gunsmith to buy more even in a city this size. No one stocks like they used to.

The story so far - TRUGLO mounted and bore sighted. The sight is red / green with multiple reticles - my most options so far. I hope to get a range report in Monday. Sad thing is the outdoor range that's $3 an hour run by the MO Dept. of Conservation has a 100 yd range with a good laundry list of rules one of which is shotguns are limited to slugs only. They have trap, skeet and a pattern range and those are limited to 71/2 and 8 shot ONLY.

I have a nice indoor range that is shotgun friendly where I can shoot anything except steel shot - of course that's $20 an hour and is only 25 yds.

6533303773_37270bec8a_b.jpg

6533303699_2d6fdfa6eb_z.jpg

Back