• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SHOTGUN: Holographic/Red Dot Sight Options

I’m really interested in the Armasight MCS.

https://www.amazon.com/Armasight-Black-Micro-Collimating-Red-Dot/dp/B007SYKW4A

View attachment 18424

The hood is removable but what I most like is the option of the ring reticle. It’s a 2 MOA dot or 20 MOA ring. I think I would like that on a shotgun. Maybe I’m wrong and a simple dot is the way to go, but I’m thinking of it in terms of a pattern. If I know the size of the pattern at a given distance and the ring is 20 MOA I can kind of use the ring as a ranging reticle d pending on how it looks on a target of known size and then I can have a reasonable expectation of the pattern on the target.

Does that make any sense? It’s kinda like the same idea of the “redring” holo sight that came out some years ago. They were expensive then, like $500+. And now I don’t think they’re even made anymore.

For the same money you could get a Holosun red dot with the same type of reticle and you can have the option of switching from dot, ring, ring+dot. The sight is sold in either red or green optic colors now with 50k hour battery life.

For the same money you could get a Holosun red dot with the same type of reticle and you can have the option of switching from dot, ring, ring+dot. The sight is sold in either red or green optic colors now with 50k hour battery life.

65 MOA circle though, that’s my only turn off there.

I run a cheap Walmart special on my 500. A Tasco pro point. I am right handed and left eye dominant. This means that I don't usually use my right eye. This sight helped me learn to use my other eye. It was my first long gun. I've owned this gun with this sight on it for over 10 years. I've only changed the battery once. 44 mm for quick acquisition. Red/green dot. Great cheap sight. I have never had to resight this gun. 20190917_231454.jpg 20190917_231357.jpg

Ok, so I am in the market for a RDS. I’ve had my eye on a Sig Romeo 5. I like the “shake to wake” but I see the PA micro is about the same price. I don’t think it has that feature, which is a big selling point to me for home defense sight. I am going to get a Bushnell TRS-25 cause they are supposed to be pretty good for the price. But I want another to put on my 930spx.

I run a cheap Walmart special on my 500. A Tasco pro point. I am right handed and left eye dominant. This means that I don't usually use my right eye. This sight helped me learn to use my other eye. It was my first long gun. I've owned this gun with this sight on it for over 10 years. I've only changed the battery once. 44 mm for quick acquisition. Red/green dot. Great cheap sight. I have never had to resight this gun. View attachment 21691 View attachment 21692

Changed my battery in this sight for the second time in about 10 years. I bought new batteries for my rifle. I forgot it on for 2 week. Huge difference. I should change them more often. Lol.

That's a really decent life for a battery. Even sitting dormant and unused, will often need changed more often than that.

I have a 590A1 tri-Rail (with a light on the bottom on the forend) and a SightMark Core Shot A-spec that I just got for the rear sight. I removed the rear ghost ring sights and am experimenting with the reflex sight.

I like the sightmark so far, it seems to give a large screen to acquire the dot quickly and is pretty easy to zero using a bore laser. The dot is easy to see and has enough brightness options. for some reason it keeps flashing every two seconds even with the new battery that came with the product, but I’m hoping that is just because the battery sat for too long somewhere and is weak. I have not taken it to the range yet however. The specs for the Core Shot A say it can handle recoil from a .50 BMG. I looked up the numbers, seems like I’d need to be firing 3” magnum buckshot or something to get close to the recoil limit.

One thing I am wondering, if there are any real tactical shooters out there, is the height that I’ve got my optical setup. Basically I’m using the AR riser (see pic) to bring it up another 3/4 of an inch or so. I’m a big guy (6’ 3”) with kind of a tall long head too. With the original ghost ring sights, and with this reflex sight flush to the receiver even, I find it difficult to get a solid cheek meld and good shoulder stock placement, without having to either drop my shoulder way back, or turtle and drop my head forward and to the side. With the sight on the AR riser it’s a lot more comfortable and natural for me to hold a more square tactical firing position, and easier and quicker to go from high ready to firing position too. I’m wondering though — am I maybe doing something poorly to make this choice? All the advice I read on forums and such seems to say to put the reflex sight low on the receiver for a tactical shotgun.

Other than that question, I like this optical setup so far, and have been dry firing and practicing with it a bit at home. Moving between targets feels a lot faster.

(edit: probably clear, but this thing is for home defense!)

Attachments

• 59C3A4B5-E8F0-46C1-9607-F13CAEF1BBE4.jpeg
    59C3A4B5-E8F0-46C1-9607-F13CAEF1BBE4.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Thank you fellman, yes just tried it with the reflex screen centered on the ejection port and it is better. Even though the screen was larger up closer (and I guess I assumed that would make it faster to acquire and get the dot on target) somehow it’s more stable and natural a little further away. Closer to the center of mass of the gun maybe means there is less stray movement of the screen as you bring it up to the target area? And better total two-eye vision yes.

I’ll keep experimenting with the sight on the AR riser for now, maybe my own body shape and ergonomics work better with it that way too.

590 A1 Sauce I run my tactical shotgun sight directly on the rail. If not you will need a stock with adjustable comb. My rifle has adjustable comb and my shotgun doesn't. The stock drops on my 464 Spx, so I have to raise the comb all the way. I'm 6'4" btw. Ftr I do use a larger sight on my shotgun. 44mm on the 500 and 34mm on the 30-30.

Attachments

• 2014-05-16 23.44.19.jpg
    2014-05-16 23.44.19.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 2014-05-16 23.49.17.jpg
    2014-05-16 23.49.17.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I had ordered a Truglo reddot with both a green and a red dot but got the version with only a red dot. I was eager to try the green dot but im not sure if i should return it or not... ?

20200715_144725.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly I prefer the green dot over the red dot. I have a choice of red or green on all but my Ar15. The green is easier to see in the day time. The red is better for at night as green gets too bright for dark surroundings. Also green is easier to see in foliage, believe it or not. The green trees hide the red dot somehow.

I got 20% off/refund because they sent the wrong model number :D I have also moved the sight forward one notch so its flush with the front of the receiver. Gives a better distance to the dot without my glasses

Last edited:
Im thinking of making a small pocket and attach it to the stock where i can have a spare battery and a hex key etc. ?

20200717_153254_600.jpg

Last edited:
Back