• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotguns: non-Mossberg

Mag tube extension arrived this morning. Delivery was super quick, ordered late Thursday and it shipped Friday afternoon. The description said "new" but were taken off 870 Police models that were being modded by another company. Whatever...they were 20 bucks cheaper than anything else I found and were local-ish anyway. I don't know if any of you have been looking online much lately but there isn't much available for sale right now for all things "shotgun". Everything is sold out or out of stock. Especially for security or short barrelled models.

IMG_0968.jpg

Installation was very straightforward. Removed the barrel for just ease of working. Stuffed a shop towel down the open tube and used a rotary tool grinding bit to remove the tube dimples that will allow the follower more travel. Pulled the rag, gave the tube a quick vacuum and then wiped and lightly oiled the follower, tube threads and the newly exposed metal inside the tube. Re-installed the barrel. Inserted the new, longer tube spring and screwed on the extension. Slid the tube clamp with sling swivel into place, tightened the screw and a few wipes all around with gun oil...done.

IMG_0969.jpg

Tested with loading and unloading...all good, super slick. Next will be to get some shooting in and see how the extension holds under recoil. I read a number of reviews on single and two-piece extensions...first off this particular extension is an OEM single piece, but I was impressed with the reviews that favored the 2-piece extension. The 2-piece being apparently better at holding the barrel guide ring in place by using a threaded collar and the extension then threads into the collar. I don't know, we will see. I've always been hesitant to use a tool on the end cap and now on the extension. I've never gone more than hand tight. I've used vice grips and a rag once to remove the end cap after the gun sat for a few days after a damp outing. Anyone ever use tools to tighten the end cap?

I've had a little more spare time than usual these days so I added a light as well....

IMG_0994.jpg
IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

I chose a NcStar tube mount w/dual pic rails & bayonet lug...mostly for functionality and price. (I have no intention of adding a bayonet...yes I know the lug is reversed. Lol.) I removed the sling swivel stud from the mount, there is already one on the tube clamp.

A set of low profile 1" Vortex rings were reasonably priced, so I've got an extra one to use on the Beretta PCC.

The light is a Fenix TK16 Li-ion rechargeable w/1000 lumens max output. (She bright!)

Not including the mag tube extension this set up is about $265 CDN incl delivery & taxes. Not too bad considering the first couple mounts I looked at were $90+ and had only one rail...I paid about $24. If it all holds up under recoil we're good!

All parts including the light are aluminum...no plastic.

I've also got a Blackhawk! Offset Rail mount (1") on order but it's a long way off yet. I may cancel. I think I like the low profile rings better. However, I could use the Blackhawk on the Beretta, it has a rail all along the top from rear sight to front.

I like adding mag tube extensions to most anything that I can.

And I've modified a few mag extensions that are made for some other gun to ones that work on other guns too simply because they don't make a mag extension for them. Like this Turkish import Emperor Arms mx5 semiauto.

I had to make a long shim for it to tighten against the handguard because the threads were too short to reach the handguard retainer, but it works now.

hNpelUQ.jpg

sjmvhVj.jpg

And now that I camo dipped it, you would never know it didn't come made for it.

EB2Sug1.jpg

Though, because of stupid game laws in my state, I have to take it off while hunting. [rolleyes]

stBb5y2.jpg

I really like that camo dip job. How is the finish for durability?

Nicely done John!

The durability is mostly dependent on which clear top coat that you use.

If you use clear krylon, it's not going to hold up to scratches from briars and stuff. But if you use something better, like cerakote clear, or even better yet, automotive clear coat, it'll hold up as well as anything you'd buy commercially.

That is the Ston' camo pattern.

Due to the stay at home order I was surfing the net and youtube.
I have a Rock Island M5 Nickle finish 12 GA. pump shotgun and came across a tube extension mod I want to add.
Using a Mossberg 500 7 round tube extension. Looks good and adds 2+1 more rounds.
Probably add a sling also.

Current pic with factory 2 rnd. speedfeed stock.

9abQbEx.jpg

The mod I want to do. I think it balances out the gun nicely.

m5w500tube.jpg

Last edited:
Due to the stay at home order I was surfing the net and youtube.
I have a Rock Island M5 Nickle finish 12 GA. pump shotgun and came across a tube extension mod I want to add.
Using a Mossberg 500 8 round tube extension. Looks good and adds 3+1 more rounds.
Probably add a sling also.

Current pic with factory 2 rnd. speedfeed stock.

9abQbEx.jpg

The mod I want to do. I think it balances out the gun nicely.

7le4VLo.jpg
The extended tube definitely makes the functionality & look of a security / defense shotgun. I really like the Nickel / Marinecoat finish...that was my first choice when I bought my 500. Too bad the gun just didn't work out for me. Be sure to post up some pics when you've done your mod.

The durability is mostly dependent on which clear top coat that you use.

If you use clear krylon, it's not going to hold up to scratches from briars and stuff. But if you use something better, like cerakote clear, or even better yet, automotive clear coat, it'll hold up as well as anything you'd buy commercially.

That is the Ston' camo pattern.
I'm pretty sure the 870 is Krylon or some other typical spray-bomb clear coat. Mine was clear coated by a friend of mine and he "baked" it in a lil cabinet that gets to about 90F + with just a 100W bulb at the bottom. He uses it just for painting / finishing gun stocks. It seems to be holding up pretty good so far. I've had it out hunting and it's been handled and transported a bunch too. So far, so good.

Out of curiosity what did you use?

Just bought this one this morning. Should be here in a week or so.

Sabatti Classic 2000 12ga Autoloader 24" barrel w/ full choke. Couldn't beat the price...delivered to my door it was under $400. Gun is listed as used, very good condition. No bore pitting, no major blemishes to the stock, receiver & barrel.

A good friend, who's an ol' competitive trap shooter said to grab it...said he's shot a few and worked on a few and they're a solid quality shooter. Italian made. Apparently, Sabatti used to do some work for Benelli...not sure how far back.

I also hear that it may be Rem-choke compatible...

Anyone have any info or input?

Sorry about the gigantic pic...it's all I could find. This may be my actual gun as this pic is from the site I bought it from.

39181.jpg

Nice looking autoloader. And I like shorter barrels too. 24" is about as long as I fool with anymore these days and am a fan of "shorter the better" especially if they're threaded for chokes.

Thanks John. I thought this one looked the nicest of the lot for the price. I like shorter barrels too and I’m not a waterfowler so not too concerned about longer range shooting for the most part.

Once I get my hands on it I'll be looking for proof or roll marks, serial numbers and searching the crap out of those. I'll try one of my Remington chokes and see if it will thread in.

So, never run a gas operated SG before...assuming it's gas and not inertia, I'm not really sure. But if it's gas operated any recommendations for cleaning schedule and lubrication? I read that typical CLP / Gunslick etc can't take the heat. I read on a UK shotgun forum guys were recommending a light coating of engine oil instead.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
If it's gas operated, I just wipe down the piston and the mag tube underneath of the handguard with a clean dry rag every now and then. I don't lube the piston because that just invites muddy fouling.

I often use mobil 1 if using motor oil to keep the bolt and things lubed.

Well, I bought another shotgun. I didn't have a semi auto 20 gauge, so I kept an eye out. The ones I found were pretty pricey, so I passed. Then I saw an online ad that nearly seemed to good to be true. A semi auto 20 gauge for under $200 including shipping. Heck, even including the transfer fee it came in under $200. I took the chance, well, just because. It's a Akkar Churchill 220 20 gauge. The good news: It functions. The bad news: So far, I can only get buckshot and slugs to cycle. Who knows. Maybe after another 200 rounds and 20 cleanings, it will cycle birdshot too. :lol: Take care. Tom Worthington

I remember the semi auto 12 you told me about a few years ago. It's been one of the most fun gun buys I've ever done.

Well, I bought another shotgun. I didn't have a semi auto 20 gauge, so I kept an eye out. The ones I found were pretty pricey, so I passed. Then I saw an online ad that nearly seemed to good to be true. A semi auto 20 gauge for under $200 including shipping. Heck, even including the transfer fee it came in under $200. I took the chance, well, just because. It's a Akkar Churchill 220 20 gauge. The good news: It functions. The bad news: So far, I can only get buckshot and slugs to cycle. Who knows. Maybe after another 200 rounds and 20 cleanings, it will cycle birdshot too. :lol: Take care. Tom Worthington
My 12ga autoloader which I assume is Turkish made but Italian branded model doesn't like birdshot either. It seems to cycle ok with heavier loads for turkey and such but I really haven't shot it much yet. Buck and slugs cycle just fine. A local gunsmith recommended opening up the gas port a bit for birdshot to cycle. John A recommended a lighter spring but I'm having trouble locating one, whatever the case it would likely require trimming for fit and function. The one thing John also said to check if the gas piston is reversible. If it is, one way may cycle birdshot better than the other. Unfortunately, mine is not reversible...that would be just too easy...LOL!

The only reason I would like to be able to run birdshot rounds is for the purpose of practice. I have no particular illusions of taking small game/birds with birdshot. It is just that the heavier stuff also tends to be a whole lot more expensive. Take care. Tom Worthington

Picked up this H&R Pardner 12 gauge for $100 out the door @ the LGS today. I had one of these several years ago and it was a solid little scattergun, so for $100 I could not pass it up.
20220516_122901.jpg

Picked up this H&R Pardner 12 gauge for $100 out the door @ the LGS today. I had one of these several years ago and it was a solid little scattergun, so for $100 I could not pass it up.

I paid $55.55 "giggle bid" for mine from a local GB seller (pawn shop). I had to do a little 'smithing to get it to eject rounds--search my posts. I haven't been to the range yet with it but it now cycles dummy rounds just fine. Many Remmy 870 parts (like stocks) fit or can be adapted...

Back