• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotshell reloading noob

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Hi. I'm thinking about venturing down this path of dark magic.

Primarily, I want to be able to reload my own predator loads in 3" shells I can tweak to maximize with my chokes.

I have no idea where to begin. I'm at a complete loss without you guys (and gals?). I guess I should have been saving my 3" hulls.

I love reloading for shotguns.

You'll need some stuff though. And myself, I prefer 2 3/4" Remington hulls. Remington STS if you can find them because they're my favorite hull and you can usually get them at walmart for about $5 or $6 a box of 25. You can load them really hot and reload them many many times over. It's not unheard of getting about 1500 fps out of them and are a lot less punishing to the shoulder too than 3 inchers.

The only real thing you gain with the 3 inch shell is more payload room for pellets and shot or whatever you're shooting.

You'll need at minimum,

209 Shotshell Primers

There are a lot of powders you can use, I personally like Longshot and Titegroup powders because I also use them in many handgun loads. And those two powders you can load either low brass or high brass pressures depending on what you're going after.

Wads
For high brass pressures with the longshot powder and Remington hulls, I like Hornady Versalite wad or the generic equivelant is the Downrange brand DRV wad.

Or for low brass pressures with the Remington STS, find the Remington brand Figure 8 wads and titegroup powder. The Rem fig. 8's are pretty inexpensive too and match factory loads.

You don't necessarily have to have a loading press, but there are 2 main kinds if you want to make your life easier so you don't have to rig up a rod to deprime with. Mec brand, which are good, but they're expensive. And the Lee Load-all is about $50'ish and you can buy 16 and 20 gauge stuff for them really inexpensively too. I use the Lee myself.

You can find a lot of reloading data at: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun And other places online.

You'll also need an inexpensive powder scale to doublecheck how much powder you're throwing. Like this, or something similar.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...S-1500-Grain-Electronic-Scale&i=866396&r=view

Thank you!

I really wanna do the 3" though for the volume of pellets. Ideally I want to reload a heavy weight BB. Remington no longer makes their heavy BB load but the pellets are still sold in bulk, 10 pounds at a time. Or at least that's what I've found so far.

Are there reloading manuals I should start with?

It seems I may have seen you guys talking about different recipes for different hulls. Is that close to something that sounds right? If so it may influence what I purchase.

There's far more available in 2-3/4" so if I can find load recommendations for the heavy weight BB in 2-3/4", that seems more readily available.

I have a Lyman 5th edition shotgun manual.

But most of them are pretty similar. The Lyman covers all gauges of shotgun and some recipes for each using various powders and wads and the weight of the shot.

I have loaded many 1000's of rounds through a Lee Load All I bought for $35 bucks back in school. I never reloaded 3" shells but I think it will do it. I don't reload for shotgun much any more but I still have it with 12, 20, and 16g bases. It's not as nice as a MEC but it will works fine once you learn it's quirks.

Back