• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Should I buy one of these?

Many years ago I had an 870 with a factory folding stock. Horrible design. It was very cool looking though and drew a lot of attention. At that time a folding stock on a shotgun was very unusual. I was a range master at an outdoor shooting range and we had rifle lanes, pistol lanes and a couple of throwers for the trap shooters. With hours and hours of time on my hands and ammo back then being very cheap, I got fairly good at hitting clay with the stock folded. Inevitably some one would ask to try it and I was more than happy to let them. My only advice was not to try to look down the top of the barrel. With only a couple of exceptions, most people hit them selves with the shotgun. If you know what a Remington original top folder looked like, you know getting hit with it was a memorable experience.

I had one of those around 1982-1983. Just like it as a matter of fact. It punished the heck out of anybody who wanted to try it with buckshot loads. And it was so inaccurate I was almost embarrassed to show it off. But it sure did look kewl. I'm surprised some of my friends didn't lose some teefs...

I had one of those around 1982-1983. Just like it as a matter of fact. It punished the heck out of anybody who wanted to try it with buckshot loads. And it was so inaccurate I was almost embarrassed to show it off. But it sure did look kewl. I'm surprised some of my friends didn't lose some teefs...

Don't understand what a folding stock 870 shotgun has to do with the one I posted, with a fixed stock... but knock yourselves out. The Canadian version has a fixed stock as the folder would put it under 26" OAL.

But, if you want to talk impractical, I have a 500 Roadblocker all dressed out in Raptor grip and Hogue forend :)... it's loads of fun shooting from the hip, as long as what you are shooting at isn't farther than 15yds away. As for the STF/12, it has a fixed stock, peep w/front bead and is threaded for chokes - don't think I'll have a problem hitting anything with it. If things go bump in the night, that 29.5" OAL is pretty maneuverable in tight spaces.

Roadblocker%20raptor40001_zpskxdeqmq5.jpg

Last edited:
The chocolate was a surprise... but this sucker is a beauty!
STF120001_zps7jvqtae4.jpg

STF12a0001_zps8nrfg6zj.jpg

Chocolate? That's the first time opening a sealed firearm box and seeing chocolate 50cal's (I think)... expiry is May 2017 and it's made in the UK ;)
STF12chocolate0001_zps26tb8fsi.jpg

Last edited:
The chocolate was a surprise... but this sucker is a beauty!

STF12a0001_zps8nrfg6zj.jpg

Chocolate? That's the first time opening a sealed firearm box and seeing chocolate 50cal's (I think)... expiry is May 2017 and it's made in the UK ;)
STF12chocolate0001_zps26tb8fsi.jpg

I am real proud and happy for you that you have that shotgun! Nice choice my friend. I could really enjoy having one like it..

Best,

Dave

Okay, here is my review:

First of all, this shotgun isn't cheap. $1044 (CDN funds) for the non-railed Initial version (that I bought). The fully loaded one with the full Rail, +1 extension, and LPA Fiber Optic Peep sights is about $200 more. Bought it online at TSE's website, got it in my hands about 4 or 5 working days later. Good turnaround and shipping speed considering it came from Calgary. Considering we waited about a year for these to come back in stock, I jumped on one.

Nice box, I was like a little kid and was nervous opening the box:
STF%20box0001_zpsgzgcpqkh.jpg

Fabarm doesn't disappoint, sure is a pretty specimen. Fit/finish is impeccable. I believe TSE dropped in some 50 Cal chocolate for good measure :)

Choke tool (takes internal chokes) and numerous allen keys:
Fabarm%20STF12%20Review100001_zpsfxkb4sjy.jpg

Pretty handsome shorty:
Fabarm%20STF12%20Review10001_zps278poiv3.jpg

Fabarm%20STF12%20Review20001_zpsnf0borsb.jpg

Interesting markings on the Heat Shield:
Fabarm%20STF12%20Review30001_zpsoyeqiucd.jpg

Even the buttpad is attractive:
Fabarm%20STF12%20Review50001_zpst0mlgiz7.jpg

Good ergonomics, I do feel the LOP is a little short for my taste, 12.6". Might get the longer buttpads when TSE gets them in stock. Very comfortable pistol grip, little stopper on the forend is a good idea, the little rail on the end could easily fit a small light:
Fabarm%20STF12%20Review40001_zpsnwtyruo1.jpg

Low rise, adjustable 3 Dot sights w/a Peep. I used them without any problem, that peep is pretty small though, once you got it lined up you are hitting anything you want dead center. (Lots of lint from the cloth I used to wipe it down).
Fabarm%20STF12%20Review60001_zpshetjxxuy.jpg

Fabarm%20STF12%20Review70001_zpsuqv4vbfv.jpg

Fabarm%20STF12%20Review80001_zpsclw4fswv.jpg

Fabarm%20STF12%20Review90001_zpstibjhabi.jpg

Fabarm%20STF12%20Review150001_1_zps5cw3di1d.jpg

Fabarm%20STF12%20Review160001_zpsklbwpa5t.jpg

Size comparison with my other shorty, 14" Fabarm Pro Forces (below). STF/12 has an OAL of 29.5". Extremely agile and fast pointing shotgun:
Fabarm%20STF12%20Review110001_zpsn6wdajni.jpg

Fabarm%20STF12%20Review120001_zpsdlh9nhlk.jpg

My Pro Forces has the LPA Fiber Optic/Peep sights like the Railed STF/12 does, they are awesome sights
Fabarm%20STF12%20Review130001_zpsmc1kg1yc.jpg

Fabarm%20STF12%20Review140001_zpsowtlph7w.jpg

Shooting: I shot a few tubes of high brass 2 3/4 and 3"... recoil is greater than on my 14" Pro Forces, as it's lighter. When I snuck in a 3" into the tube, the shotgun recoiled farther and moved my glasses a little bit. I'd like to see about a 13" LOP instead of the 12.6". I'll buy the thicker buttpad when TSE gets them in stock. Also, I'm assuming 4+1 birdshot in 2 3/4 will fit 4 rounds in the tube, but the high brass stuff I had wouldn't fit 4 inside, just 3.

Loading, cycling is smooth as silk. Very precise with that tiny peep and the beed, quite impressed with the sight setup.

Expensive, but high quality shotgun. Fit and Finish is fantastic, it's that nice. Having a 11" shorty may not be that practical, but it's threaded for chokes, there's no reason why you couldn't make it more practical with the correct choke. Very impressed with it and think I made a wise choice in buying one. Not many of these have come into the country so far, so I can't see myself losing any money on it if I want to sell it later on.

The pictures speak for themselves. It's a beauty and functions as well as it looks. The only negative I can see is the LOP, if you are a tall dude with long arms, I can't see a 12.6" LOP working for you... but it's not that bad for me.

Last edited:
Great pics, really liked hearing your initial impressions. I know you said it a couple times already about fit and finish, but I'm gonna say it again, your excellent pics show very well how good it looks and how well put together it is. You've done a really nice job showing off the detail. Those sights look sweet! I'd love to try out something like that.

Very nicely done!

Back