1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

should I do it?

Discussion in 'Mossberg 802 Plinkster' started by boomer92266, Jan 10, 2022.

1. boomer92266

boomer92266 Lurker

I know this is a Mossberg site, I thought I would still ask. I went looking for a 22lr rifle about a month ago and wanted a bolt action, with quality dropping at times I will only buy in person and I went looking at my local shops. I didn't want to wait as things seem to pop up and take my saving money if I don't act quick. I found no bolts but did get a stainless 10/22 black stock and came home with it and 4 25 rd. mags. A friend of mine went today and found a Mossberg bolt 22lr, I think it's a 802. Now for my question for this post. He has offered me a trade of his bolt gun for my auto and mags and has offered $150 boot. Neither gun have been fired yet, so what would ya'll do? Thanks for any help.
    cmcdonald likes this.
  2. Tom396

Tom396 Lurker

Based on original prices only, the 802 would be a cheaper gun and the 25 rd mags aren't cheap either. Now, which one do you actually want more? And how much more? I think both rifles will function just fine. There are more accessories available for the 10/22. You pays your money, you makes your choice. Take care. Tom Worthington
    meanstreak, TheRude1 and cmcdonald like this.
  3. Jmm14534

Jmm14534 Lurker Premier Member

If you really want a Bolt Action 22lr then make the trade. Make sure you come out even with respect to the $.

Having said that there are better bolt action 22lr rifles out there than the 802. The Ruger 10/22 you purchased is a great little plinkster and you have 4 25 round magazines!

I would keep the 10/22 and save up for a nice wooden stock bolt action rifle chambered in 22lr.
    cmcdonald likes this.
  4. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

You cannot do much better than the 10/22 as far as semi autos go. Its a solid base and the sky is the limit in terms of precision, tactical, hunting, etc accessories.

If you really want a bolt gun then trade.
    nitesite likes this.
  5. Bobster

Bobster Lurker

Keep the 10/22 (especially in stainless) then get a Ruger American .22 that will take the same mags... ;) LINK
    meanstreak, cmcdonald and nitesite like this.
  6. nitesite

nitesite Average Guy Moderator "Philanthropist"

^ THIS.

I have both the 10/22 and the American Rimfire bolt rifle. Superb guns for the money. The Ruger American Rimfire has a dreamy trigger, much like the Savage Accu-Trigger.

Hold on to your 10/22 and save for an American Rimfire down the road.

Easily adjustable LOP, bedded action, free floated, drilled and tapped for scope bases.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    cmcdonald likes this.
  7. boomer92266

boomer92266 Lurker

Thanks everyone, I have decided to keep my Ruger and save for a bolt action. With what I have in the gun and mags and now with the cost even more than what I paid just a month or so ago. With ya'lls help I will keep the 10/22 and save for a bolt gun. Thanks again.
  8. nitesite

If you ever want to scope the bolt gun you may get, the 802 only has 3/8" grooves which is a really cheap method of attaching a scope (although it does work). I would try to get a bolt rifle that is drilled and tapped for a real scope base and rings.

BUT, to be fair, I just looked and a Ruger American Rimfire is $200 more than a Mossberg.

So maybe the Mossberg 802 isn't such a bad choice given the lower price.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  9. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

The Savage B22 is a heck of a gun for the money.
    cmcdonald likes this.
  10. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ Lurker

I own two bolt action Savage .22s and I have nothing bad to say about them.

I have a 10-22 as well but it’s a very modern one with bits of plastic where the old one had metal.
  11. John A.

John A. Unconstitutional laws are not laws. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

I agree about the savages. They make really good guns.

I have a few of the Mk2's.

OK. Actually, I have one Mk2. And I have an older Lakefield gun which was made prior to selling the design to savage. While it's not technically a savage and there is some differences and some parts won't interchange between the two, I still consider it a mk2.

I also have an old Springfield Arms marked with selectable semi or single shot straight pull that I like. A lot. The reason I mention it, was that it was made by savage arms.

So, I guess you could say that I really do like savage/stevens stuff.

I know that you didn't ask, but kygunco has savage bolt rimfires on sale with free shipping-in stock and under $200 at the moment.

https://www.kygunco.com/product/savage-arms-26729-mark-ii-f-od-green-22lr
    cmcdonald likes this.
  12. nitesite

I really like the Savage rifle lineup. Great guns and priced well. Much more affordable than my Ruger American Rimfire, that's for sure.

That Mk II F looks like a very nice way to get into a bolt .22LR, as long as you already have an optic and the means to mount it (or plan to get all that).

I would actually be really proud to own a rifle like that.

Thanks for the link @John A.

I can't afford it for at least a couple months, tho'...........
  13. John A.

John A. Unconstitutional laws are not laws. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

You're welcome.

I like my old indian heads.

Here's my first. The old lakefield. I have since made it to be an integrally suppressed/built in silencer gun. Made a large bolt handle for it. And drilled and tapped the receiver to put a picatinny rail on it. More like the FVSR because I like that setup.

It's very handy for squirrel.

I put a newer savage stock on it and also camo dipped the entire gun. At first glance, no one would be the wiser that it was a shhh gun.

[​IMG]

The FV-SR heavy barrel. This was the first camo job on it. It's a sponge paint camo. Plenty good enough for headshots on squirrels when I do my part.
    [​IMG]

I have since did a strata pattern camo dip on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the "gill gun". Or click-clack. Or the Springfield. Or the Savage. Depending on who you are talking to.

Yes, I threaded the barrel to use a suppressor on it too. Despite many that think the old guns should never be tampered with. But the way I see it, it's mine to do whatever I want with it.

And I want to be able to shoot it suppressed whenever I want to :)

[​IMG]

I made a steel thread protector the same diameter as the barrel so it won't look out of place whenever it's not wearing a can. Though it wouldn't hurt if I put another coat or two of blue on it to darken it up a little better.

[​IMG]
  14. nitesite

@John A.

You continually amaze me with your skill and imagination and knowledge.
    cmcdonald likes this.
  15. John A.

I march to the beat of my own drums. Not sure much what else to say there.
    nitesite and cmcdonald like this.