• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Show off your Custom Skateboards!

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I've been hunting this PC for a better pic of the Big Ulu. Here it had smaller Seismic wheels. (85mm, so not small really. The lime green Centrax wheels are simply huge.)

bu03.jpg

These are the same wheels a guy named Mischo Erban rode 85 MPH on. (He had a car tow him down a mountain, then he cut loose!)
bu05.jpg

These are the basic mods (sans wheel wells) which I made to the FarmFresh deck to create the Hang Ten, and its clone The Congo. It was a blank double-kick board.
bob2.jpg

Top of the Hang Ten board:

bob3.jpg

Hey this is wood! This rack holds my boards, paddles, nets, poles, rifles, whatever, in the truck;
rak07.jpg

rakin.jpg

All loaded up!

sixin.jpg

I didn't press this myself. I ordered it made to my template. This is 9 laminations of imported Baltic Birch, glued with Titebond 3 & vacuum bagged over a shaped mold.

It came out about 42 inches long, 10" wide, on a 36 inch wheelbase.
20160321_081103-1.jpg

I shot this with several coats of clear acrylic paint but I have not started the artwork or wheelwells yet.

I did get the grip tape on and it doesn't look too bad considering that I did a rush job on it.

20160322_233732-1.jpg

Not sure I like the little colored stripe behind the feet. I may just make it black. The original one didn't have a multi-colored stripe. Oh yeah this is a rough clone of a board that I built which got stolen.

I still need to fill in the remaining natural wood grain on top with clear polyurethane to protect it.

The bottom will be painted in several colors of acrylic paint sealed with clear acrylic.

Traditionally I would put clear polyurethane over it, BUT you really have to let that acrylic multi colored paint to dry a long time or you will have a bad chemical reaction where things will pop up like blisters.

I am going to just shoot it clear acrylic to seal it.

Last edited:
I finished the artwork on the bottom of my new board (The Longo) and got it out for a ride yesterday.
It went pretty well considering, and I made a five miler the first time out.

It needs more tweaking, but I like the way it rides already and won't need to trim it to make more flex. It somehow came out just right, and the guy who pressed it for me only had a photo, a template outline, and a scrap of the previous board for a sample.

I like the artwork except for the eyes. I'll need to fix the eyes.

20160405_002644.jpg

BTW, I put some heavy coats of crystal clear rustoleum gloss on this board, let it dry 24 hrs, shot it again, and let it dry another 24 hours.

Then I put the trucks on and rode it, with a bamboo wedge riser I'd made, in the front.

I decided I need to shave the wedge a bit sharper, but I found it securely glued to the deck by acrylic paint.

I didn't want to risk chipping the board by knocking it off with a mallet or prying on it, so I spent about 2 hours shaving that wedge by hand, on the board, using a bare sawzall blade.

20160407_071016.jpg

You don't have a block plane or razor plane? Would have been much easier with that...

Or even a bastard file....bamboo is easy to work...

What are you going to do with the eyes?

You don't have a block plane or razor plane? Would have been much easier with that...

It would have to be a mighty tiny plane to cut that, but no I suppose I don't own a single plane of any kind.

I have rasps and sureform files but they're all much too big to work on this without damaging the paint and board.

I'm using this little 5 inch saw blade in two hands as a rasp and like a draw knife, and the backside is my straight edge for checking my work.

It's tedious but I need the exercise.

There's a place we go every year that's called Big Stump and it's so big that you could slice a cookie out there enough to build King Arthur's table.

Of course you be arrested and then the tree huggers would skin you alive and string yer hide out on a Giant Sequoia

I love the sequoias....awesome trees. I have wood and some burls from there. I even have manzanita. That's amazing wood!! I love the red in it. And it polishes up great.
I'm surprised you guys (deog & cadman) haven't posted anything made from that stuff. It's native to you guys...

I think the eyes look beady. Like the pupil is way to small. Or it's missing another ring to make it look like an eyeball in the socket.

It would have to be a mighty tiny plane to cut that, but no I suppose I don't own a single plane of any kind.

Are you done? I could let you borrow my razor plane. It's like 2" long....

Thank you so much!

It's a great honor to have someone offer to lend you their tools. Most would sooner you take their wife.

I just shaved it down by hand to the correct angle & block sanded it a mite to get it exactly flat.

I repainted the eyes last night, sanded them this morning. He still needs some touch-up and clear coat.

Of course it's pouring rain here today so no painting no skating no rifle range.

But the bass will live! The trout will breed! My lawn is going to be green!

I always loved tools called "The Little Giant" and I have owned a few my life too.

Had to take a break from the skateboard fixing to chase spiders and decontaminate things under the kitchen sink for my missus.

I'll post another picture when the paint gets cleaned up and glossed but it's looking better.

Because the sport of skateboarding is slightly insane to begin with, all the gods of The Bongo Congo are slightly insane as well; but this one doesn't yet have that countenance. I'm still working on the proper molon labe attitude.

When this guy takes your board, he means business.

Thank you so much!

It's a great honor to have someone offer to lend you their tools. Most would sooner you take their wife.

Can't have my wife....It took me almost 40 years to find her!

Turkeys yelp?
I've cooked quite a number of them but I never had to chase one down my own self.

Well the gloss on this will be dry tomorrow & I will be riding it weather permitting.
20160411_021439_resized.jpg
I'm finally satisfied that it doesn't look too bad but it wasn't my finest moment when I composed this one.

I was trying to capture the wild-eyed insanity of big wave surfing and the downhill skateboarding sport.

Mind you I don't do real downhill anymore.

Last edited:
Way off topic but Pretty much on topic now . . . if you want to see the most insane downhill skaters, check out the Sunset Sliders.

The video to see is on their webpage
"Dakine Scramble".

They live in San Francisco where it is totally insane to skate there because of the traffic and crappy roads.

You might enjoy the psycho Gaelic Hillbillies soundtrack too. This has video of a totally Outlaw skateboards race probably in 6 a.m. traffic.

Http://www.Sunsetsliders.tumblr.com

Last edited:
Way off topic but if you want to see the most insane downhill skaters, check out the Sunset Sliders.

The video to see is on their webpage
"Dakine Scramble".

They live in San Francisco where it is totally insane to skate there because of the traffic and crappy roads.

You might enjoy the psycho Gaelic Hillbillies soundtrack too. This has video of a totally Outlaw skateboards race probably in 6 a.m. traffic.

Http://www.Sunsetsliders.tumblr.com
You should start a skateboard thread. I like seeing the pics and your handiwork!

Back