• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighting In Your Mossberg 100 ATR

Awastatyme

.270 WIN
Well I took my .270 ATR to the indoor range last night and got her sighted in at 50 yards.
I dont think I did to bad huh. I am shooting Federal Fusion 130gr.
I will be going hunting this weekend. I will let you all know how it goes.
2011-11-09174338.jpg

Re: Sighted in my ATR

Looking good! Let us know how hunting goes for you.

Re: Re: Sighted in my ATR

Awastatyme said:
Well I took my .270 ATR to the indoor range last night and got her sighted in at 50 yards.
2011-11-09174338.jpg

Just out of curiosity why just 50? I sight mine in out to 200 yards.
Sent with Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

Well I saw two small bucks yesterday, and this one this morning. I thought that I may not get to see any more so I shot him in the neck. 75 yards, dropped him dead. I might go back out this afternoon to hope for a large buck.

2011-11-12072142.jpg

Nicely done! Good luck this afternoon.

BTW,
You've just got to love the tongue hangin out of his mouth.

Great shootin!

I love the good meat that comes off 100-120 pound whitetails!

I'd pull the trigger on that one for sure so I could put meat in the freezer.

Sure, bigger ones are the goal but every once in a while a smaller one is well worth harvesting!

Re: Re: Sighted in my ATR

tnxdshooter said:
Awastatyme said:

Just out of curiosity why just 50? I sight mine in out to 200 yards.

Well, if a 130-gr .270 bullet with a 0.409 Ballistic Coefficient fired at 2850-fps is sighted in for 50-yards versus 200-yards:

50 yd 100 yd 200 yd

0.0" +0.3" -1.8" for a 50-yd zero
+0.7" +1.8" 0.0" for a 200-yd zero

There really isn't much of a difference other than shorter shots with a 50-yd zero seem to be more dead-on while a more unlikely 200-yd shot is just a small holdover. I think either is just about equal (out to 200 yards) on a living breathing whitetail. The 200-yd zero has a slight advantage at 300-yds, like about five-inches less drop compared to the 50-yd method.

I don't know many hunters who plan ahead and zero their rifle to cleanly kill deer at 300-yards.

That Group is excellent! Congratz on the deer too!

Where do you hunt at? In PA it is illegal to shoot a spike over the age of 12. Unless that nub fits a wedding on it, that would make it a partial legal 3pt lol I could be incorrect though.

Congrats on your deer!
I have my .243 zeroed at 3 inches high at 100 yards. It doubles as my groundhog gun but it helps to have confidence that I can make a long shot on a deer if I need to.

Itsricmo said:
That Group is excellent! Congratz on the deer too!

Where do you hunt at? In PA it is illegal to shoot a spike over the age of 12. Unless that nub fits a wedding on it, that would make it a partial legal 3pt lol I could be incorrect though.

I hunt in Texas. We can shoot a spike or 3 point with no age limit. A legal point has to be over 1" long

Man.. Even more of a reason to move to Texas! haha... I believe you must be no older than 14 to shoot a 3pt, and if it is a 4pt, 3 of the 4 must be on one side. The "Legal Point" must be able to hold a wedding ring on it. At least that is what my Grand father taught me :p

Back