• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighting In Your Mossberg Tactical .22 715T

After putting about 50 rounds thru a brand new 715, I got the red dot all set up and most of the problems have sorted themselves out.

Here is the next 20 rounds at 50 yards...not to awful bad I guess...(1" rings and bullseye)

942271_588660977819652_1563681955_n.jpg

Tdub said:
After putting about 50 rounds thru a brand new 715, I got the red dot all set up and most of the problems have sorted themselves out.

Here is the next 20 rounds at 50 yards...not to awful bad I guess...(1" rings and bullseye)

welcome from NY and congrats on your new mossy.
,,,,,,and like you said,,not to awful bad. :)

Does anybody know yet, whether this "shooting down & to the left" is a sighting issue or a BAD BARREL issue???

Any help would be much appreciated.
I have looked through these posts and found no consensus on this.

Some of you have sent your new weapons back and some of you have tried optional sights to correct the problem.

Anybody find they can hit anything fairly accurately, allowing for rise or drop, @ 25yds., 50 yds., and a hundred yds. without re-sighting ?

Any answers to that question could be very telling and help us all.

Red Dot Sighting

I have the carry handle model that also includes the front sight. Well on top of the carry handle I have a red dot sight which sets a bit higher than the front sight of the rifle and I haven't had the chance to line it up yet. I cannot see the rifles front sight from looking thru it. It goes right over. Can I do it by using a bore sight and at least lining them up? Or am I gonna have to shoot some rounds off?

I don't ever get to go target shooting and I live in a neighborhood. This was mainly for home defense and probably someday for food hunting ...

Thanks

Re: Red Dot Sighting

TheFirebrand said:
I have the carry handle model that also includes the front sight. Well on top of the carry handle I have a red dot sight which sets a bit higher than the front sight of the rifle and I haven't had the chance to line it up yet. I cannot see the rifles front sight from looking thru it. It goes right over. Can I do it by using a bore sight and at least lining them up? Or am I gonna have to shoot some rounds off?

I don't ever get to go target shooting and I live in a neighborhood. This was mainly for home defense and probably someday for food hunting ...

Thanks

Home defense shouldn't need a red dot. May not be enough time to turn it on and make sure it is on. Some things can happen quickly. Maybe a laser for pointing but I'm not sure about a red dot. I have one on my rifle but I doubt I would use it in the event of a home defense situation. I do not have a carry handle and had my iron sights set to use thru the red dot. I have since offset my iron sights. But in my home, if I needed my rifle it would be close enough that I would not need to aim...point and fire off-hand. I know that where my barrel is pointed at close distance I will hit the target.

As for using for hunting, you will need to go to the range to get it set. The distance above the barrel that your red dot sets will determine what range you need to sight in at. Using a laser at home to boresight the red dot to the gun may get you on paper but it will not get you very accurate. Just my 2 cents...

Re: Red Dot Sighting

OhioArcher said:
TheFirebrand said:

Thanks

Home defense shouldn't need a red dot. May not be enough time to turn it on and make sure it is on. Some things can happen quickly. Maybe a laser for pointing but I'm not sure about a red dot. I have one on my rifle but I doubt I would use it in the event of a home defense situation. I do not have a carry handle and had my iron sights set to use thru the red dot. I have since offset my iron sights. But in my home, if I needed my rifle it would be close enough that I would not need to aim...point and fire off-hand. I know that where my barrel is pointed at close distance I will hit the target.

As for using for hunting, you will need to go to the range to get it set. The distance above the barrel that your red dot sets will determine what range you need to sight in at. Using a laser at home to boresight the red dot to the gun may get you on paper but it will not get you very accurate. Just my 2 cents...

I never said the red dot was for home defense lol. Thanks

Dysfunctional said:
Searchin4Truth said:
Let me know where I might be on the wrong track, please. I am using my brain, but this is new to me.

You've actually answered your own question with the best answer.

Searchin4Truth said:
MOSSBERG asked when I purchased my 715T, I told them around late February-mid-March 2013.
They IMMEDIATELY SAID, "Send it back. There is a problem with the BARREL."

Safest thing to do is follow the manufacturers recommendation.

After reading GypsumJim's post of being totally screwed over by Mossberg's "service department" (I'd be laughing MAF, if it weren't true), that is DEFINITELY a last resort.
If someone could answer the question I asked it would help me decide what to do and save me a bunch of ammo and gasoline to go to a range 35 miles away (one way).

P.S. I certainly hope you have better results than GypsumJim.
ALSO, I hope you'll post your results here when you get your 715 back and test fire it ;)

Here is the rail riser i ordered. I didnt get mine because my riser was crooked though i got mine because i like the scope up a little off the top so i dont have to turn my head so much to get a good line of sight down threw the scope.

Using the stock scope mounts its down so low i have to really tilt my head to get a good view down the scope.

Mine is metal with thumb screws to tighten it up. I also like the little holes in it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-FLAT-TOP-1-I ... _502wt_681

Mossberg715Trailriser_zps50a7430c.jpg

leadgunner said:
Sorry to get back late on you guys. I have been busy at work and wasnt able to go to the range until yesterday.

I got my riser and my scope is now zeroed. Ive been punching paper in 2" groups at 50 yards. Had to do away with the iron sights though. The iron sights wont zero no matter what i do. Still low and left.

Hope this helps.

Heres a photo of my setup showing the rail riser for the scope. Rifle is still zeroed after 5 trips to the range.

You like running your front sight as well? My rail covers dont go all the way down on the top so i just put the front sight back on. I like the way it looks also.

I've heard it mentioned before where it was felt that there is some imperfections in the molding of the composite form that screws up the sighting of the iron sights.
Both my carryhandle and 715 have probs like this..no matter tho ... I was putting on red dots and lasers anyway.
From Ebay I have adjustable offset sights coming in . They attach to the pic' rails on a 45 degree angle. Not sure if I'm going to run into the same thing or not ..but , they should look pretty cool ..lol

I know i always defend this gun, im always the one trying to talk you guys out of giving up on it. I just think some of you guys give up way to quickly on such a simple gun. Ive sold a few other guns in the past and i regret it. I have 2 715Ts now and i love em both im glad i got them.

Im new to firearms so im learning alot myself. Last week i picked up a Savage 64 from walmart $133.), i really wanted another mossberg (702 plinkster) but i just couldnt wait any more for them to get them instock. Ive tried for 2 months now to get a 702 but ill have to wait i guess.

With this gun (cheaper budget gun) all the parts on it need to be "broke in" i found this to be true with both of my 715Ts what i didnt notice was the barrel is no different. The rifeling inside the barrel is just like the parts inside the gun. I notice the more i used my rifles the more consistant they loaded, fired, and just plain ran smooth. What i didnt pay attention to was the accuracy over time.

With this savage i payed more attention to accuracy as i shot it. What do you know it also gets better as you shoot it. The barrel also needs "Broke in"

First outing the shots were all over the place.
Firstshoot_zps843db320.jpg

After a good cleaning second outing it slowly came around.
secondshoot_zps056e84ba.jpg

I cant wait to see what it does next time. :shock:

What i wonder is after the rifeling is cut it also needs deburing like all the other parts in the gun. As you shoot it you not only debur and clean the parts inside the receiver helping it load and run smooth but the lead runs down the barrel and cleans it as well. Im sure at some point it will be as good as it gets but how long will that take? 100-200 rounds?

I think ive only put about 100 or so rounds threw my savage and i already see improvement in how it runs and how accurate it is.

Gunowner99 said:
Wish I could ever see that accuracy with anything, I know practice practice practice..

Well ill tell ya when i first shot it i was not very happy. I told myself it was the cheap golden bullets bulk i was shooting and then i told myself i was going to keep shooting it with this ammo to break in the internal parts. Keep cycling it with ammo then shoot the better stuff i have later.

I am using a bench rest not a gun vice but there are plastic shooting blocks on the bench i rest the barrel on to stablize the shot. I seldom shoot free hand, im not good at it.

I need to get a vice some day just to try that kind of shooting.

Gunowner99 said:
It seems that break in is the key.

I think its more about not giving up till its broke in is the key. Try not to be so quick to judge the gun in its first few outings. Giving it time to settle in then decide.

My dad did that with a colt 45 comander and a mossberg trap gun. Its been some 30 years and he still talks about regret in selling them away. Neither of them he shot enough to break them in before he got rid of them.

BowerR64 said:
Gunowner99 said:
It seems that break in is the key.

I think its more about not giving up till its broke in is the key. Try not to be so quick to judge the gun in its first few outings. Giving it time to settle in then decide.

My dad did that with a colt 45 comander and a mossberg trap gun. Its been some 30 years and he still talks about regret in selling them away.

I will do my best, I just need to get my butt out to the range!

Front iron site tool

Hi recently bought 715t. It needs the sights adjusted. It didnot come with sight tool. Does anybody know where i can buy the correct size tool. I bought one & it was the wrong size.

Re: Front iron site tool

keepingeyeongoal said:
Hi recently bought 715t. It needs the sights adjusted. It didnot come with sight tool. Does anybody know where i can buy the correct size tool. I bought one & it was the wrong size.

if you are asking about adjusting the front sight, use a pen. good luck...

Back