• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sights for hunting.

Chris C

.270 WIN
I'm considering using my Mossie 500 for hunting deer.........and other "critters". I'm unable (old eyes) to use iron sights like I used to. So what kind of scope is recommended for hunting that is $100 +/- ?

Chris

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort.”—John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) 35th President of the United States

I have a Tru Glo red dot set up on my Turkey gun.
I would not hesitate to hut deer with it.

Do you mean like this one?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/385470 ... base-matte

Chris

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort.”—John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) 35th President of the United States

Chris C said:
Do you mean like this one?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/385470 ... base-matte

Chris

Pretty darn close...The price on your link is to high though.
I bought mine brand new on Ebay for under $50

I have this one on my turkey gun:

929725.jpg

TRUGLO Tru-Brite Reflex Red Dot Sight Red and Green 4-Pattern Reticle

I have these on another gun I use for turkey, deer , etc.. I find them easy to see and I have a hell of a time with the std sights on a rifled shotgun barrel.

671251.jpg

Williams Fire Sights

Are you looking for a scope or a red dot sight? I have both, for different situations. Center point tactical red dot for $50 at Walmart or online.
umyterun.jpg

And a 4x32 scope for deer hunting. Its a Field & Stream model from Dicks...

Semper Fi my Brothers & Sisters in Arms.

To be honest, I'm just "dog-paddling" around trying to make up my mind. Reading everything I can get my hands on...........looking up reviews, pro and con about every sight suggested here in this thread and other places on the forum. I'm starting to lean toward a tube type green dot scope. I think it would be sturdier than a reflex type. Thanks for your recommendations.

All around the Williams are very good. I've had open and closed red dot sights on my 930 and though I did not use them hunting I think that they would be a great match for the range of a shotgun. The Vortex line is a solid mid-price line and I've used Truglo's open design with success as well.

I'm not a red dot guy myself. I like to be able to set my crosshairs on the exact spot I want the slug to hit, not just the general area. So I use traditional style scopes. I do have 1 slug gun that has a 4x32 on it, but I havent used that shotgun in over 5 years now. I also have a 20g that has a 3-9x32 on it, but it is now retired also. Now I have decided that a 32mm objective lenz is no longer large enough so I have started using 3-9x40's. I get a much larger field of view using the 40 and the 9 power magnafication is great when it comes to 125 - 150+ yard shots.

mossberg930remmington552006_zps7eee32bc.jpg

100_1098.jpg

shotgun2010013.jpg

shotgun2010018.jpg

Well the one I suggested has red and green colors with 5 brightness settings and 4 reticles to choose from. I've fired Hornady SST Sabot slugs, mil-spec 00buck, bird shot, and target load... probably close to 500 rounds now with it. Holds true on point, and hasn't let me down yet.

Semper Fi my Brothers & Sisters in Arms.

Chris C said:
Anyone use the Tru-Glo Gobble Stopper?
I do.
I painted it and the mount to match Bubba.
I will post pics later when I get a chance.

I saw that sponge painted 20 gauge you posted a picture of a week or so ago? Was that Bubba? Didn't see a scope on it, though.

Chris C said:
I saw that sponge painted 20 gauge you posted a picture of a week or so ago? Was that Bubba? Didn't see a scope on it, though.

No the 20ga is Bubba Jr. or Jr. for short....LOL!!!
Bubba is the 12ga that was my first sponge project.
I have a B Square removable scope mount with a Tru Glo Gobble stopper attached.
Real nice to remove the scope since Bubba sees a lot of different action which includes Skeet, Sporting, Pheasant hunting as well Turkey. Have not taken a Deer with it yet but it can since I can easily pop a 12" steel plate at 100 yards using slugs.
Here is a pic of it sitting on Bubba. Since this is just a "photo op" it is not screwed on since I will be shooting Skeet with it Saturday.
GobbleStopper.jpg

Looks great...............but the real question is have you been happy with it? I'm not a turkey hunter, though I've a rafter of 35 to 50 that wanders around my house that will even walk up on my back porch frequently! :lol: But I might want to take one of the deer in my back yard............or who knows, if times get really bad, I might pop a turkey. So would you say this is a pretty good "all around" scope for the money?

For the money and considering that at the range I would take a Deer with a shotgun or a Turkey, I need no magnification. These work great!

Back