• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Silver Reserve Safety & other things

roysha

Copper BB
This 12 gauge O/U was brought to me for an unrelated issue to the title which I repaired.

However, there are two problems that I now face.

1. When I removed the stock a "square U" shaped spring(?) fell out and I have no idea where it goes. I have tried to find a decent schematic of these shotguns but what I have found are of very poor definition quality and I have been unable to find that part. For all I know it is broken and only part of it is what I have in hand. Anyone have a thoughts about this?
2. I'm not sure of Mossberg's terminology so please bear with me. I tested the safety and it did not work. Upon inspection I found that there is no link from the tang safety button to the "rocker" that swings forward and blocks the trigger movement. I can see no way that the "rocker" is activated, on/off. There is not a single mark indicating that anything is attached to it to activate it. I know I must be missing something but I'm at a loss to figure out what it is.
This thing is driving me nutser than I already am so I hope someone can help.

There are a few O/U owners here so be patient for a reply--I'm sure someone will comment eventually. Clear pics would help a lot.

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Welcome from upstate New York. Have you tried giving Mossberg service a call? They have brought the O/U back so maybe they will be more interested in your questions.

Pretty certain the silver reserve is a turkish import. So, while mossberg may service them and such, I'm really confident whomever you get on the phone at mossberg customer service will not have any inkling of what you're even talking about.

OK. Here are some photos. The little spring(?) needs no explanation, it is what it is.
The other photos show the "rocker" blocking the triggers and then pushed back to allow the triggers to fire the gun. A wooden pointer is indicating the "rocker". The other photos show the safety/barrel selector tang button forward and back. Other than selecting the barrel it does NOTHING in regard to the engaging the safety.
For what it's worth, this is a Silver Reserve II. I don't know that the II makes any difference but I'm trying to enter as much information as I can, in case there is a difference. DSCN0880.JPG DSCN0881.JPG DSCN0882.JPG

Yes, I have tried Mossberg but not much, help.

Attachments

• DSCN0883.JPG
    DSCN0883.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0884.JPG
    DSCN0884.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0885.JPG
    DSCN0885.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 7
Out of curiosity, have you looked at how everything functions with the side plates off? I ask because I am not seeing any obvious thing that looks out of place either.

Out of curiosity, have you looked at how everything functions with the side plates off? I ask because I am not seeing any obvious thing that looks out of place either.

I'm not sure what you mean by "side plates" It's a box lock action so there are no side plates unless there is some terminology that I do not understand.

Out of curiosity, have you looked at how everything functions with the side plates off?

I think the stock functions as the "side plates". :) sr2.jpg

The spring almost looks broken to me--like the "hook" is missing from one side? It looks like it would fit around the block and hook something, maybe even a missing pin? The pics could be a little better and maybe instead of four pics from the same angle maybe mix it up a little? :rolleyes: ;) Perhaps a bunch of small parts and pins fell into that box of bullets? :D If my Turkish were better (or even existent), I'd search some Turkish gun websites to see if anyone has one they've disassembled. It may be known by another manufacturer's name. Weatherby has imported some Turkish stuff, maybe do a search for THEIR version of this gun? Do let us know if you figure it out for future viewers use...

Roysha,
Not sure if this helps or not. I own a Mossberg Onyx reserve, basically the same shotgun. The safety button as you have discovered is dual function. It moves east and west to select which barrel fires first. East is over and west is under. The button also slides north and south. South is safe and north is fire. From your pics it looks like that upside down L shaped piece moves with the safety north and south. With the safety in the back (south) position it should engage with the trigger mechanism to block it from moving.
As far as the spring goes it’s there for a reason and Mossberg should be able to shine some light on this. First - is it broken? Second what does it do? Third where does it go?
For what it’s worth I have sent my Onyx Reserve back to Mossberg twice to fix a broken firing pin. They were very helpful but it took some time.

Well, Mossberg finally got back to me, and the bottom line is that the gun has to be sent back for repair. Following is the email I received from them.

"You are unable to find these parts because these firearms are imported and all the internal components minus the firing pins and springs are restricted and with this specific model the firearm will need to be sent in for service. Below is a link to our service form which will start the process.
https://www.mossberg.com/service/request/
Unfortunately, you are not going to be able to purchase anything for the safety."

In general, and to be specific, that sucks!

Back