• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

single or dual point sling?

Looked for a bit and didn't see what I was looking for, but if it's a repost, point me in the right direction.

I would like to get a sling for mine, (still on order, but it's never too early to find the right toys) and I am not sure what the right option is for me. I have never owned a shotgun before, let alone strapping one over/on my shoulder so what do you guys/gals think?

Single point slings are good (from just looking at pictures) because they put the gun right where you need to fire it at rest. But I also saw something where it was stated that any gun at or over 8lbs would be too heavy for this to be comfortable. The 53693 weighs in at 7.5lbs before ammo according to Mossy's site so could this be an issue? I am 6'4" and 240lbs, so I aint a little guy, so maybe I shouldn't worry about the weight...

Double point slings are plentiful and there are two ball style points to mount a sling to, so I am sure options are abound. I don't think I want a sling with shell holders because that is a lot of weight swinging under the gun to make it harder to keep a bead. So what are the good options and things to think about with this option?

You will have to honestly evaluate what is the primary use of your shotgun , how often.
Are you just leaning it in the corner waiting for a bad guy ?
Or are you taking it on journeys in the wild ?
Will you be needing both hands while you have it ?
Do you ever use a sling as a shooting aid ?
Think you will ever have to drop your SG fast to grab a sidearm ?
Will you ever have to run with your SG ?
Everyone should try both options because it’s a lot about personal preference and the primary use. I am your size plus 20lbs and I hated a single point on my SG. But some people like them just depends on what you are doing with it.
Also tons of mounting options again depends on what you’re doing with it…..so I guess tell us what you’re doing with it

Just did some vid using a sigle point bungee sling with a a590A1, I dont think its too heavy at all.

Take a look;
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RfLyOBxeOo[/youtube]

I also have video somewhere using a traditional sling. And just as Oli said, really gonna depend on your need, how you will need to carry it. The single point sling will allow more movement and range of motion while the sling is shouldered and will keep the gun at your side rather than goin from an American or even African carry position to a ready. There are however some other really cool two point slings... I just have no experience to speak of. Others may be able to help here.

If your new 590 is goin to be strictly an HD gun, remember a trade off is the potential for the sling to snag and catch at a time you may be depending on it to go smoothly. This is where practice will help!

I guess more specific I liked the single point till I had to go hands free and move

and I like a sling for a shooting aid and just couldnt find a way to make it work

oli700 said:
I guess more specific I liked the single point till I had to go hands free

Yeah, if youre running it sucks! In this case, a 2 point would be a better choice!

I tried the one point on an AR when I had it and did not care for it. Then tried the one point on a FAL and really hated it. On the shotgun I am thinking of trying it, but probably wont like it. I have seen a couple different slings that go from 2 point to one point pretty quick, MAGPUL is one that comes to mind. I may try a 2 pt- 1 pt when I get the scratch together and order the mounting items too.

I have 3 of their slings and for the price you can't beat them.

sumoj275 said:
DHonovich said:
I run a single/dual point sling on my Mossbergs and love the ability to transition from one style to the other if needed. Check out http://www.rockymountaintactical.com for the one I run.
That is one I saw and could not remember. The price is right on that one too.

x2! This is the one I was trying to think of too! There are some more, I think Eagle or ATK, and SOE Gear, Gear sector and so many more! I think we may need just a "Sling" thread somewhere.

Back