• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Single shots

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I started hunting with a Winchester 34A Youth Model 20g.

I've accumulated several higher capacity guns over the years but still enjoy the effectiveness and simplicity of a single shot firearm. They will definitely make you a better marksman. Knowing you only have one shot makes you focus a little more .

I've been squirrel hunting the last couple weekends and I've been compelled to start using one of the singles. I think next weekend I will kick it old school.

Very shortly I will be picking up my newest addition. A Stevens 301 20g turkey model whick will be used for more than just turkey

Anyone else still love hunting with single shots?

I broke my teeth on single shots.

Started out with a .410 bore. Eventually moved up to a 16 gauge single shot stevens.

Every gun has its' own unique challenges. With the .410, not only did you have to worry about marksmanship, but also trying to stalk in as close as you could before letting go with it.

But, those experiences make you a better hunter all around.

There isn't enough money in this world that would buy some of my old tools.

With that said, I rather enjoy their simplicity, ease of moving around with them, etc.

I broke my teeth on single shots.

Started out with a .410 bore. Eventually moved up to a 16 gauge single shot stevens.

Every gun has its' own unique challenges. With the .410, not only did you have to worry about marksmanship, but also trying to stalk in as close as you could before letting go with it.

But, those experiences make you a better hunter all around.

There isn't enough money in this world that would buy some of my old tools.

With that said, I rather enjoy their simplicity, ease of moving around with them, etc.

I bought a Rossi .410 2 years ago and it is a huge squirrel getter. I am now trying to get a 12 and a 20 ga single. I will also get barrel inserts for different cartridges with each so I have a nice supply of choices in calibers and gauges. Some of the newer brands are very low priced. I do want a Stevens though. They cost a little more but not enough to put me into hock. Thanks for the post. Now I know I am not alone in liking the singles.

My first hunting was w/ at .22/.410 O/U. Remington I believe. It was lent to me by the farmer I worked for when we hunted stripped cornfields for pheasant and bunrabs in Ohio.

upload_2021-1-25_12-58-44.jpeg
images

I remember my first shot.

June of 1960. Champaign County, Ohio. I was on the left flank, my dad about 6 feet to my right, Wilbur the farmer next, and his son Peach as right flank.
My dad called a halt and said, "I see a rabbit hiding in front of me. I'll kick it out."
I brought the gun to a low ready and watched dad put his foot in front of him.
The rabbit started to run forward to the left.
I pulled the trigger and aimed the gun at the game.

You noticed that too, didn't you?

Yeah... the gun went off and the shot landed about 2 feet from my boots! The bunrab was safe and the adults were rolling on the ground laughing.

I have an aunt and some cousins who lived in Champaign Oh.

I've visited there many times throughout the 70's and early 80's respectively.

My cousin and her boyfriend (now husband of about 35 years) used to take me and my little sister along to a little ice cream stand near town.

My first game with a real firearm was a squirrel at about 10 yards with an old single shot .410. No idea what brand. Had a bulge in the barrel from an obstruction. That happened long before I got my hands on it. After that dad would let me use one of his double barrels occasionally. Under close supervision. Around 12 or 13 I got a New England, Pardner model 20 gauge. I was responsible enough to go out by myself with it, and our beagle. Shot a lot of rabbits with it. It was one of only 3 or 4 that didn't get stolen from my parents house by a POS aunt, and second cousin. To this day I still won't speak to her at family dinners. My dad forgave her. I havnt. Ive still got it in my safe. Occasionally when we are doing some casual shooting ill get it out. I've walked past some used single shot 12's at various gun shops. Always telling myself, "I need to get one of those. Just not today".

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Of the guns I own, two of my favorites are a Springfield 52A , and a Winchester 67. Both straight shooters, and older than me.

Back