• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sling Attachment Points (SAP's)

Kodiak

.270 WIN
Front Sling Mounts

While looking for front sling mounts, I found that besides the plate under the mag cap and barrel clamp mount, that the mag tube cap can also be used. I could either use a screw in on the OEM cap or replace the cap totally if I wanted a QD.

Is one preferred over the other? Is there any risk to mounting the sling on the mag tube cap verses the others? Thanks in advance.

Re: Front Sling Mounts

Nope, I dont feel its a greater risk at all. All materials and construction are capable of handling the sling point! ;)

Forward Sling Mount Below the Bayonet Lug

Hello-
In my searching through this site I have noticed one thing that I would like to ask with regards to what actually comes out of the box.
On some pictures of bare stock, just received Mossbergs with the bayonet mount, I noticed that they do not have the small sling post underneath the bayonet mount that is pictured on the Mossberg website.

Circled in red to the right in the above pic.

Is this because it is no longer provided by Mossberg?
Is this because for some reason, this is a bad place to mount a sling?
If it is NOT provided, can I purchase one somewhere that would work? Mossberg? Aftermarket?
If this has already been covered, I apologize. Please just reference me to where it has been addressed.

Thanks in advance to any help that you all are able to provide,
J.D.

Attachments

• 51660.jpg
    51660.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,003
Re: Forward Sling Mount Below the Bayonet Lug

The sling stud screw is sometimes shipped loose in a small yellow sealed paper envelope in the box. If it's missing, I'd call Mossberg and ask them to send you one. Let them know yours came without and you may score one for free...

Thank you very much for the information. I am new to this and appreciate your response.

Are these sling stud screws NOT preferred to mount slings to, as I have seen most pics have it positioned elsewhere?
Is there some kind of structural reason why people mount the sling elsewhere?
I know there is matters of personal preference with regards to slings, but is there any structural limitation with regards to this particular placement of the stud that would need to be considered prior to using it?
Thanks,
J.D.

I use a single-point sling attached at the stock on my 590a1 and don't have any personal experience using the forward SAP in either position. I'm not aware of any significant variance in structural strength between either mount point though...

Dang, I was late to this one! Looks like yall got it handled!!! :D Thanks Lazy! ;)

Mine was in the yellow envelope as LES mentioned. Uhh, I didnt like using mine cuz I'm kinda neurotic about sling posts linining up straight on a particular axis and mine would not.

I most often use a single point as described by LES above.

I use the one that came with the gun on the sling mount. I haven't had to trudge to far in advers conditions with mine, but so far, it has worked out fine for me. I do however want to add some blue locktight to it now that I am thinking about it JIC.

My two cents.

Good thread, guys!

The sling swivel post as provided under the bayo lug is fine for attaching a sling for shoulder carry (vertical behind the back) or as a steady-hold via a sling wrapped around the leading forearm (military style). This mount point also works well if you want a bandolier of shells using the front and rear underside studs.

It is worse than horrible if you want to go with a 2-point or 3-point sling, because it wants to flip the shotgun over upside down when you go hands free with the gun. Remember the buttstock mount point is on top of the comb, so you don't want the front mount under the gun. Those type slings require a high side-mount fixed sling point, or at the least a cord wrapped around the barrel-to-magazine lug.

Great question!

You have plenty of room for a tri-rail if you want to add some hardware.

NiteSite, good points on carrying.

Ripsnortr said:
I haven't had to trudge to far in advers conditions with mine, but so far, it has worked out fine for me.

With regards to carrying, you both mention a couple things.

I have used the factory sling points, I've used my CDM Gear MT with side mounted sling swivel right behind the bayonet lug, and I've used an ERGO end plate adapter mounted between the receiver and the stock. Each style offers advantages, as well as cons... I've also used a sling like NiteSite described, military styled that wraps your support arm to help steady the gun while aiming.

The big plus of carrying with traditional sling points is that the gun rides higher up, doesnt get dragged through the mud and whatever else youre goin through, and its generally held tighter to your body. For me, in the field, the biggest problem I had was that every time I had to bend or pick something up, the gun is falling off. Additionally, The gun is not instantly accessible and at the ready to fire. So in my specific case, if a bird flushed I wasnt ready for I'd have no shot at all.

With the single point on the ERGO adapter behind the receiver;
I love that the gun hangs at my side and comes up to fire very quickly and easily. I use it for hunting! I've had a couple birds flush just this past season that I hadnt expected, and with little effort, the gun swings up and shoulders and I'm able to get a sight picture. Because I prefer the single point, I practice more too though... Another feature of it I love, because of the way the sling is worn, there is no chance it will fall off accidentally, or work its self free. The biggest draw back I can think of... Where ever you go, the gun is goin through it too. It doesnt have too, I'll often grab the receiver and hold on to it through heavier stuff so i can direct the gun better. On the other hand, its a Mossberg and I'm not the least concerned about whatever the gun goes through.

I really appreciate all your answers, but must confess that some of them are a bit "over" my head.
Is there a thread on this site that shows these different mounting points and types of slings with possibly a review of the pros and cons of each?
If this is ignorant on my part I apologize, but I honestly have no idea what to purchase for carry and there are so many choices when I look at the Manufacturers.
Thanks, J.D.

I'll take a look and see what we have. I know we have a thread or two on slings and mounts, but I'll have to find them.

If they dont have what youre looking for, then we may start a new thread just for what you describe including pics.

EDIT:

I found a few different topics that may help. I dont have time to link them right now, I'm headed out to work, but if you wanna search "which sling", youll find some of the same things I'm gonna link up here later on. Check out the hunting thread too, theres info in there as well. It isnt comprehensive, but its a start! :D

Thank-you very much.
I will continue to search to find out the information.
You sir (Rossignol), have a sling pictured in the thread "Whole lot of naked 590's" that I really like a lot. It is a leather sling that looks really well made and different from any that I have come across.
Can you please tell me where the store is that you found this sling? Do they have any other colors of leather - like a distressed chocolate brown? Any info on that sling that you may remember from when you bought it or where would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again for all the help,
J.D.

Thank You LES, youre entirely too kind! :D

I did make that one JD. I'm not making anymore right now... but I would be happy to point you in a direction. There are a couple places that make them and make them well. One very trusted name is Turner.

That style is the military style that allows you to use the sling as an aid to steady your aim.

You are very talented Brad (is it?). I showed that pic of the sling to a couple of friends and they all said that it was really great work!
You stated that you are not making anymore "right now", so I am holding out hope that it may be available sometime in the future?
I would really like one of the quality of yours in the pic, so if you do make any in the future - I would like to ask you to put my name on your list of future customers.
Thanks again to all of you on this site for all your help to newcomers,
J.D.

Back