• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sling Attachment's Mossberg 500 W/20 inch barrel

cynergyzed

Copper BB
I'm having a problem with what sling attachment's (front and rear) to buy for my 500 Persuader..it has a 20' barrel and hold's 8 in the tube..which make's the barrel and the tube the same length at the muzzel...there is no attachment on the magazine tube cap. There is a swivel stud in the rear stock. I was thinking of the G G&G set, but how does the front attachment hold? behind the magazine tube cap? Will that be in the way? The rear reciever attachment I have no problem with, it's the front that concerns me as the barrel and the tube are the same length. Some advise on decent attachment's for a 2 point sling would be very much appreciated. GG&G has a looped front and rear set and a quick detach front and rear set, I just don't know if one or the other are something that would work for me. Or if one is better than the other in my personal setup. Thank You
And if I use one of these option's what sling would be preferred?

hello and welcome to the site. i have the same 500A 20" barrel,7+1, on the bottom of the barrel retaining loop there is a screw for the sling set up. the rear is on the wood stock.

they also sell end cap with screw.

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 853
I have tried a few different things on my 20" guns, one of which is also an 8 shot Persuader.

I have used the GG&G front plate you mention. Once the barrel is removed, you have to pull the retaining washer free from the backside of the lug, the screw used to attatch the barrel to the magazine tube. Its been a PITA for me to remove from two seperate guns on both occassions. Once its removed throw it away cuz it will never be usable again. The sling plate then goes up against the lug and the screw through that. The plate isn't significantly thick enough to be noticable with regard to the difference between the barrel and magazine.

I've also used a clamp from CDM Gear;
http://www.cdmgear.com
I don't know that the one I have is still made but he has others very much like it if not better. In any case, the clamp has a QD push button swivel. It also has a short picatinny rail for a clamp and light.

Moral of the story, I've use with these various configurations including the factory swivels, slings like an M1907 leather sling, Specter Gear 3 point, and 2 different nylon web basic GI slings or your basic 2 point slint sling.

The possibilities are nearly endless. The only sling attatchments I personally dislike are mounts on the forend of a pump action gun. Moreto the point of your question, I don't use the GG&G sling plate only becase my gun won't slide into my scabbard if I do. Other than that, its a solid mount and I have no other complaints. My daughter used it. All last hunting season with the Specter Gear sling.

Oh! Welcome to Mossberg Owners! ;)

cynergyzed said:
I'm having a problem with what sling attachment's (front and rear) to buy for my 500 Persuader..it has a 20' barrel and hold's 8 in the tube..which make's the barrel and the tube the same length at the muzzel...there is no attachment on the magazine tube cap. There is a swivel stud in the rear stock. I was thinking of the G G&G set, but how does the front attachment hold? behind the magazine tube cap? Will that be in the way? The rear reciever attachment I have no problem with, it's the front that concerns me as the barrel and the tube are the same length. Some advise on decent attachment's for a 2 point sling would be very much appreciated. GG&G has a looped front and rear set and a quick detach front and rear set, I just don't know if one or the other are something that would work for me. Or if one is better than the other in my personal setup. Thank You
And if I use one of these option's what sling would be preferred?

i found a few pics that might give you an idea on you sling concern.
the third gun down is a mossberg 500.
let us know what set up you get. (pics would be great)

Attachments

• 3 mossbergs 1 Ithaca.jpg
    3 mossbergs 1 Ithaca.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 854
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 850
WOW! Thank You Very Much For ALL OF Your Attention! There's some research I'm going to do, I do like some of the option's out there that you've posted. I will get back when I get done with the research. Very much appreciated

Are you going to carry the shotgun over your shoulder vertically (aka "hunting style")?

Or cross chest in front of you?

It matters.

nitesite said:
Are you going to carry the shotgun over your shoulder vertically (aka "hunting style")?

Or cross chest in front of you?

It matters.

Better carry it over your shoulder vertically, so it would not hard for you to walk...

Back