• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sling end-plate adapters?

Onespeed

Copper BB
Greetings all! Getting ready to pick up my new 590A1 in a few days and getting everything ready to go as far as add-ons.

So far I have a Knoxx Compstock ready to be swapped out with the standard stock it comes with.
I want to run a single point sling and was looking into the end-plate adapters like the GG&G or Midwest offerings, but have some questions for those that may be running these pieces.

Easy question first, will these adapters work using the Knoxx Compstock (basically a Hogue stock as far as attaching to the receiver)? I assume they will, but just checking to see if anyone has already proven/disproven this point from experience.

Second, I read a review somewhere where the user had issues with the stock "twisting" after installing one of these adapters, because the notch on the bottom of the stock no longer fits into the receiver to lock it in place.
Has anyone here run into this issue?

Judging from the stock photos on the mfgr's websites, it appears the Midwest loop sits a little lower on the plate than the GG&G. Is there a preference towards one or the other, or is it close enough to not make a big difference while in the hang/low ready position or the firing position?

I assume they are both pretty close in thickness, but does anyone know the exact dimensions for the GG&G and the Midwest plates? LOP is not an issue for me, and I understand I may have to find a longer bolt in order to run one of these adapters, but the thinner of the two would be better I think.

Thanks in advance...

Welcome to MO! I don't have an answer for you but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you find what you need. Enjoy the site.

Onespeed said:
I assume they will, but just checking to see if anyone has already proven/disproven this point from experience.
Well since no one has addressed you questions I can give it a shot with the disclaimer that I have never run the set up you are asking about. However I have been an avid firearms enthusiast , hunter all my life and I manufactured rifle barrels for a few years
Yes it will work because the Hogue stock has the same key shape as the oem stock at the end of the wrist so if GG&G or MI says it will fit a 500/590 it will fit, but the proper way to do it is to purchase a new bolt that is long enough to account for the thickness of your chosen sling plate. This is where a lot of folks go wrong and either strip the threads from the receiver or the stock twists due to the lack of clamping force the additional threads provided before the addition of the plate

Onespeed said:
Judging from the stock photos on the mfgr's websites, it appears the Midwest loop sits a little lower on the plate than the GG&G. Is there a preference towards one or the other, or is it close enough to not make a big difference while in the hang/low ready position or the firing position?
I own gear from both companies and they are both top shelf imo
I have shot the set up but never ran around with it….I am a two point man, got to be able to go hands free and not have my rifle flopping all around. I see a single point as a good way to be able to drop your rifle and start fighting with your handgun, forget running or climbing with it flopping all around on the single point ….I mean you can I’m sure but it will beat up you gun and legs
But if it makes a difference to you then I imagine the shotgun will probably hang more perpendicular to your body the closer the loop is to the top of the receiver.

oli, thanks for the reply and insight. I will definitely get a longer bolt to account for the extra thickness of the mount.

I hear you on the single vs. dual point sling mounting. I run a single point at work, although that's with an M4, which is obviously much shorter and lighter, and I run a weapon catch when I need to transition to my secondary.

I will give it a try with the shotgun, if it ends up being too cumbersome I will just switch to a two point.

Thanks again...

cool !....I had a single point on a Mini 14 for a little while and realy liked some things about it....but I live in the sticks so it just didn’t work that great....I see a place for them though

I have the Midwest sling plate. The front and back surfaces of the plate have "rings" (for lack of a better word) that match the inletting of the stock-to-receiver. These rings are a little larger and allow a little more play to the plate. Also, using a plate opens up a gap behind the back of the trigger guard. This is true for Remington as well. The gap bugs me, but most folks won't be bothered by it. It does, however, allow the stock to rotate since the trigger guard no longer makes contact with the stock to keep it in line with the receiver. This is probably what they are referring too with stock rotation. Once the bolt if tight it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I just bought my Mossberg in January of this year (which is why I joined this site yesterday), so I haven't had a chance to really see how it works long-term with a lot of use. It's currently at Vang Comp. The 870 didn't seem to have a problem (with the sling plate). I traded it several years ago. There were some things I just didn't care for with the Remington. I'm liking the 590 design better. Especially the location of the slide release and safety.

Where are you guy's getting the longer bolt (all thread)? The bolt looks longer then a standard length bolt. It looks like the GG&G will take some fitting on mine to work. More work then expected but not very hard to do.

5 inch 1/4-20 bolts are hard to get sow I used a forstner bit and depend the hole enough sow the screw uses all the receivers threads. I think if the but stock ever starts to clock on me I will supper glue the sling plate to the but stock.

Back