• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

sling for 410 with moderator

Hello, I am new to this forum and have a bit of a question, I've just bought a used 500E in 410 gauge and have just installed the front swivel for a sling, now although the magazine cap was pre-drilled and tapped in the factory the stud was missing when i bought the gun, so I managed to get the stud from the only Mossberg dealer in Ireland. It arrived in the post this morning so I went about fitting it. However although the stud was the correct thread for the hole in the magazine cap I could'nt exactly center it due to the modertor fitted to the gun not giving me enough room, the moderator is 16 inches long and extends right back to within perhaps half an inch of the magazine cap where it is threaded onto a cone just above the front of the magazine tube, as far as i know it's the factory fitted moderator.
So, what i did was loosen the magazine cap just enough to get some clearence to start the threads onto the stud, i then tightened the mag cap and kind of slightly forced the stud to rotate with the magazine cap, this shaved a very small amount of aluminium off the cone (moderator seat). Seems good, I guess maybe Mossberg make a smaller sling stud for the modearated gun but i'm only guessing.
Next job is to drill the stock to mount the swivel for the other end of the sling.

Does this sound ok ?

As long as the mag tube cap is good and tight, you should be good to go. I don't foresee any issues setting the rear stud directly into the stock either...

Mag cap only finger tight ?

Not sure whether to put it on the lower edge of the stock maybe 3 inches in from the butt or on the butt itself, what do you think, I guess onto the stock would be better handling wise.I'll be drilling with an electric drill and no clamp, don't want to risk scratching the stock with the drill bit, I could mask it and get a mate to hold it steady for me, don't have a jig to hold it in, maybe my neighbor has a bench clamp.

Yes, finger tight on the cap is good.

Seems the attachment to the stock itself would be more secure. I drilled a pilot hole on one of my rifle stocks by hand a while back. Made a small dimple with a punch first to keep the bit from walking. Take it slow and it should work out fine...

When it comes to guns, this is one thing i am jealous of.

We can now get them in my state but the paperwork and waiting game is is a pain. Wish you could get a general approval and not have to go through it for every purchase.

The downside is if I want to get an ordinary barrel I have to apply for another certificate and two certs means 3 months wait all over again as well as a gun safe, a trigger lock is the only requirement for one shotgun. I think when this gun left the factory it came with a spare (standard) barrel but as i say I bought it used. The silencer cannot be removed unlike the hushpower silencers made in England for Mossberg 500's they come with a clever collet system which means you can fit and/or remove the silencer very easily, they even do them for double barrels, here's a few pics.

This gun is a
20g Fully Moderated Over & Under Hushpower© Investarm Shotgun
Weight: 7.25lbs, Barrel 33", Overall Length 50" Chokes ½ & ¾, Folding Action.
Cost about 1,000 dollars including all taxes.

20ginvestarmweb.jpg muzzle2.jpg

They recommend you don't use plastic cartridges with the moderated gun as little bits of the plastic can lodge in the vents, but from reading as much as I can find this is just to cover themselves and is not a 'real' safety issue as the bits get forced into the modeartor body and just drop between the baffles, when I collected mine from th Gunshop I asked if the gun had been cleaned and checked over and was told that it had. Now I don't doubt that they ran safety checks but they certainly didn't clean out the moderator because the first thing I did was open up the mod to see what was going on in there and it was stiff and a bit grabby when I undid the threaded connection and after working it off gently a good bit of burnt up brittle bits of gunk came out of it, not much but enough to show it had not been cleaned out. Sorted now though.
They also recommend the use of subsonic cartridges to get the maximum amount of noise reduction, these I have not tried yet but apparently whilst being very quiet and no ear protection is needed even when shooting indoors if you should ever have the need to do that.
They do though give a crack sound to someone hearing it from say 50 yards away but it is sufficiently quiet not to be discerned as a shotgun blast. I was astonished how quiet it is although I 've only put a couple of rounds through it.
It's chambered for 2 1/2 and/or 3 inch shells,(you can mix em up but why would you want to) but again was sold to me with 2 boxes of 2 inch, which it will of course fire, the problem with the 2 inch only came to light when I decided to practice loading and unloading without firing, because it will take 3 inch the 2 inch jammed up as you can imagine (one popped out but the first inch of the next one was inclined to foul it up. They chamber fine because they are being lifted up but when unloading they just fall with gravity which is when the jams can happen, The moral is use the correct ammo, strange that a gun dealer sent a novice away with the wrong ammo though. I'll fire em all off when I get a chance, maybe up in the woods I can use them to train myself in and look at the spread pattern etc.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet that isn't a factory fitted moderator. ;)

To my knowledge, Mossberg has never made one.

Yeah, but I think they're threaded to hushpowers specs for their moderators, the suppressors are not made by Mossberg is what I was getting at.

The last two pics I posted are from The Saddlery & Gunroom in England, as far as I know they make the moderators and buy in standard new guns from Mossberg or whoever then they fit their mod and sell them or they will just sell you a moderator with a fitting kit..
The first two pics are of my gun and the moderator unlike the English ones is not detachable it's an integral part of the gun, 'built in' if you like, I'm pretty sure that this is the Mossberg Factory model because they come like that brand new and the moderator is not an add-on, it is as I say built in and not removable.(However it is not made by Mossberg, it is supplied to them by Hushpower U.K.)

as Lazy Eye rightly says Hushpower U.K. hold the copyright;

these are the people,
http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm

This is worth a read;
http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/hushpower/gunmart_review_12 hp_mb.html

Last edited:
This tells some more;

Everything in moderation
In the past the only way to sound moderate this model was to retro fit a Hushpower tube that fixed snugly over the end of the barrel.

The disadvantage here was the process added extra length to the gun, making it unwieldy and difficult to move in confined spaces.

With this new conversion, the moderator is much longer, but it comes back over the barrel almost to the fore-end.

There is a 2in increase in length to the barrel, but this is quite manageable and you soon get used to the gun’s pronounced forward ‘lean’.

image: http://inspire-ipcmedia-com.s3-eu-w...2013/08/Mossberg_.410_Hushpower_moderator.jpg

Mossberg_.410_Hushpower_moderator.jpg

Moderators work by dissipating sound waves from behind the shot load and this Hushpower conversion does it via a series of carefully cut holes towards the barrel’s muzzle end.

These are placed at precise distances to ensure the maximum amount of noise can pass into the moderator’s baffle system for dissipation before the shot exits the muzzles.

It has to be said shotgun moderators are rarely quite as efficient as rifle moderators because a rifle only has to cope with a single projectile – not a shot load carrying wadding materials and numerous lead pellets.

Even so, this gun and system muffle the crack of a shot very efficiently. But if you really want to improve performance in the sound moderation, then Saddlery and Gunroom have loaded subsonic .410 cartridges which significantly reduce noise levels.

Full article,
http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/gun-reviews-mossberg-410-shotgun

Back