• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sling mount on the Flex?

tomcat

Hi all. Does anyone know if the flex system is compatible with a sling mount on the rear where the stock meets the receiver? Just wondering if it would interfere with the locking of the flex. Don't have anything yet just looking at options while I wait on my gun which I haven't even ordered yet. :lol:

Not 100% certain 'cause we're all pretty new to the Flex system, but it would seem to me that adding any type of spacer between the receiver and stock fitting would certainly interfere with the Flex locking mechanism...

Ok. I've been reading up on it and was curious if I remove the plate between the receiver and the stock, and add a different plate with a sling mount plate, would that work? That is generally how you guys add the rear sling mount correct? I would hope and assume it would be the same for a flex. Sorry if I am using the wrong terminology but hope you get what I mean.

It won't be the same at all.

Standard 500/590 stocks are attached to the receiver with a simple stock bolt. Receiver mounted sling plates are possible because the bolt can be tightened or loosened as needed to make room. The Flex system uses an adapter fitted into the rear of the receiver that connects/disconnects the stock via a mechanical locking mechanism. I don't see how adding a sling plate would be possible on the Flex models without completely removing the Flex adapter and essentially converting it back into a standard 500/590...

Ok Thank you. I've been looking and what are your thoughts on something like this?
http://www.jsesurplus.com/midwestindust ... iloop.aspx
Basically it would slide over the tube on the collapsible stock. I want a rear plate because I think I'd go with a single point sling that converts to a double like the magpul MG3 and I know that mounting a single pint at the end of the stock would put the gun on the floor correct? I did see you guys talking about the button sling on one thread but I don't think that it would be useful for something like the magpul?

Depends on how tall you are but yes, for most of us a single-point mounted on the end of the stock would have the muzzle on the ground. That adapter looks like it'd do the trick and allow the use of pretty much any sling you like. The Button Sling M4 Two Piece, or their UM4 Universal Two Piece mounts work in much the same way...

Thanks for all the help LES. I really appreciate it. I guess I have time to decide as I still haven't ordered the gun yet. I'm starting to think and agree with some of you that the flex system may be more of a hassle in the long run seeing as how fairly easy it is to switch out non flex components and the lack of accessories available.

You're welcome Sir.

That's pretty much the general temperature on the Flex around here so far. It's a great idea, but not really practical at the moment. Your customization options will be VERY limited with the Flex system...

tomcat,

I have not gotten the answer to this yet in the forum. If you can remove the Flex adapter from the receiver, it may work with a spacer that you were talking about. In my head I see the flex adapter mount to the receiver the same way a normal sock would. If you can confirm this it may help. Can you take the stock off the Flex Receiver, leave the locking pin up, and take a picture of the inside of the flex adapter for us. My guess is that it is the same bolt system for standard stocks.

Frank

I would love to, but I have not even ordered the gun yet. :lol: Just looking at different options before I decide. Plan on visiting my local shop Sunday and will see if they know but it's looking like its not possible. I'm gonna see what they say if they even know. If they have one to check out, I will let you know how it looks.

Tom

Think I've decided on a magpul ASAP (getting the flex 590 tactical) so I can just put it in front of the castle nut and run a magpul ms3 sling. Thoughts? Seems like a good setup. Now, just need to see about ordering that gun tomorrow. :lol:

I just posted a similar question on the maintenance thread, but came across this while scrolling through. I have the Flex 590 which comes with the collapsible, pistol grip tail stock. Had it at the range today, it is a sweet shotgun! I read the magazine reviews and various other posts about it, both pro and con, and I'm happy to say it is everything I wanted - including the ability to trick it out.

That said, my question on the other thread is similar to Tomcat's, although I found what my be the the answer for the Flex sling mount. I just bought a S.P.A.D.E (single point attachment device enhancement) from Slide Fire Solutions. You have to unscrew the locking nut from the slide tube, put the device on at that point, then screw the nut back down trapping the devise between the nut and the pistol grip. I'm just sure how tight the nut is, or if I need a special tool to loosen it.

Tomcat, I hope I didn't hijack your question, but I thought this could help answer your question.

tomcat said:
Think I've decided on a magpul ASAP (getting the flex 590 tactical) so I can just put it in front of the castle nut and run a magpul ms3 sling. Thoughts? Seems like a good setup. Now, just need to see about ordering that gun tomorrow. :lol:

Did this work for you? I do not have the pistol grip stock yet so I don't know if the tube is sized to allow the ASAP installation. I really don't want to neuter the FLEX by removing the adapter just to use my MS3 sling.

Thanks in advance!

Back