• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Slug barrel addition: Which one?

Rifled or smooth bore, ported or not, scope or sights? Decisions, decisions, decisions. I am considering buying a slug barrel for my 835, but have been going back and forth on which one to buy. So I thought I would ask for thoughts and opinions of the best choice, the pros and cons, etc ...... which would you get?

Thanks in advance!

Since you are picking this up as a dedicated slug barrel it won't be pulling double duty for anything else.....You can't beat a rifled barrel for accuracy, add a quality scope or red dot setup and you are good to go. Having the barrel ported simply helps tame the recoil a bit and will make follow-up shots easier.

Tim4k5 said:
Since you are picking this up as a dedicated slug barrel it won't be pulling double duty for anything else.....You can't beat a rifled barrel for accuracy, add a quality scope or red dot setup and you are good to go. Having the barrel ported simply helps tame the recoil a bit and will make follow-up shots easier.

Also, if you are getting it just for slugs, see if you can find a scope made for shooting slugs, like a muzzleloader scope. I'm not sure about the Cabelas Slugster. I haven't hear any positive/negative stuff about it yet. Also, with the barrel, you should get one with the scope mount attached to it.
Like this one...
http://www.lowpriceguns.com/product.php_300472
That way when yo change out barrels you won't lose your zero.....

RipJack - That is exactly the barrel I'm looking for, but I'm trying to find it in Mossy Oak Breakup Infinity camo. It comes in that pattern when you purchase the combo, but I can't find just the rifled barrel anywhere. Any suggestions folks?

Your best bet is to call Mossberg sales directly...

(800) 363-3555

You can purchase the barrel directly from them using the model number of the combo that comes with the barrel you want for reference...

You're welcome.

Just a heads-up, with all that's going on right now they'll probably be swamped. They have a wait timer on the line that'll tell you how long you've got, but it skips way ahead every time another caller gets off the line. I've never had to wait more than 15-20 minutes even when the wait timer says an hour. Keep us posted on your results...

I know this post is old but: I own an 835 & the Mossy slug barrel w/ cantilever...here is what i've learned: I love the cantilever, i put a bushnell banner scope on it, great optic. I love that i can switch from deer to bird gun w/o messing w/ the sight. I also have truglo florescent sight on the smooth barrel. Also got a Boyd's thumbhole stock & the Knoxx recoil reducer... I love em both over the normal stock.

i started using Hornaday HST (the best ammo i could afford at the time) and I was shooting minute of barn-door at 100yd. I tried Remington, Winchester, Federal, rifled, foster, smooth, cheap expensive etc ad-nauseum & was not getting any better. What i discovered was that the rifled barrel has a 1:36" twist...which uses loads shooting less than 1500fps, all the ammo was shooting over that, some waaaaay over, like 2000fps (HST's). I found Federal non-rifled slugs locally shooting 1450-ish getting a 5-shot group w/in a foot @ 50yd. I figured I would roll my own & see if i could get any better, I got a Lee 1oz slug mold & found very few recipies, the last time i went out I uased 40gr H38 and was shooting minute of yardstick...then i read that was the max load...not the starting. So I still am looking for good slug info using the Lee slugs...I cant see shelling out $90 or better for a Lyman mold...unless I really cant get anywhere w/ the lee slugs. Im befuddled that Lee doesnt have any GOOD loads for each of their molds (the way Lyman does)...you get what you pay for i guess. I will post any future discoveries. Good luck & post back what you found.

My dad shoots Remington slugger slugs out of his rifled barrel and is getting 3in or better groups. He loves the slug barrel.

I know this post is old but: I own an 835 & the Mossy slug barrel w/ cantilever...here is what i've learned: I love the cantilever, i put a bushnell banner scope on it, great optic. I love that i can switch from deer to bird gun w/o messing w/ the sight. I also have truglo florescent sight on the smooth barrel. Also got a Boyd's thumbhole stock & the Knoxx recoil reducer... I love em both over the normal stock.

i started using Hornaday HST (the best ammo i could afford at the time) and I was shooting minute of barn-door at 100yd. I tried Remington, Winchester, Federal, rifled, foster, smooth, cheap expensive etc ad-nauseum & was not getting any better. What i discovered was that the rifled barrel has a 1:36" twist...which uses loads shooting less than 1500fps, all the ammo was shooting over that, some waaaaay over, like 2000fps (HST's). I found Federal non-rifled slugs locally shooting 1450-ish getting a 5-shot group w/in a foot @ 50yd. I figured I would roll my own & see if i could get any better, I got a Lee 1oz slug mold & found very few recipies, the last time i went out I uased 40gr H38 and was shooting minute of yardstick...then i read that was the max load...not the starting. So I still am looking for good slug info using the Lee slugs...I cant see shelling out $90 or better for a Lyman mold...unless I really cant get anywhere w/ the lee slugs. Im befuddled that Lee doesnt have any GOOD loads for each of their molds (the way Lyman does)...you get what you pay for i guess. I will post any future discoveries. Good luck & post back what you found.
I have a mossberg 835 mossy oak with the cantilever scope mount. I, too, use a Bushnell Banner from Dusk Till Dawn scope. I shoot 3 in groups all day at 175 yards off a lead sled all day with Remington Accutips 3 inch mags. These weight 385 gr and traveling around 1900 fps. No issues. I did have some accuracy issues at first. I noticed my barrel lug but was rattled loose by the recoil. Tighten it up and she's a 200 yard slug gun.

Glad to see this thread revived.
Small (2).JPG
I Finally got to shoot the 835 with the new Rifled barrel for the first time out back. I am using a Millet SP-2 Redot on it. I have been holding out as I have been working on a bipod mount that attaches to the magazine nut. Results below on a 12 in plate for reference. Shots fired at top section of plate are from rifled slugs out of my smooth barrel 590A1 some time ago. Slugs do some damage.

I was shooting both Hornady SST 2 3/4, their Lite and Slug loads. I started off with the SST 300gr FTX Lite and walked off 30 paces. Set up on the back of my truck lid and fired standing. Very impressed!!! Was able get off several shots touching into what was going to look like a 2 in hole on the plate. Got some white paint, covered up to start a new set and walked off an additional 30 paces.
Hornady SST Lite 60yds.jpg
Shot 2 more Lite loads at 60 paces. I was holding center on plate with the redot and shot to the right. Made my adjustment, held center and made the shot on the left. The 10 shot group you see between the 2 shots are what was shot earlier at 30 paces. Got frisky, and thought let me try the last 3 rounds on a tall beer can. I it, but it took all 3 shots, LOL.
Honady SST Slug 100yds.jpg
Repainted and walked off to 100 paces. I loaded 5 more but used the Hornady SST 300gr FTX Slug. BOY do these kick!!! Much different than the Lite load. I held center and surprisingly hit higher than the Lites. First shot was off way left. Made and adjustment back and held center and damn near hit it. Tried again to attempt hitting a tall can, with no success. Glad I tired but my shoulder didn't think so.
I definitely need more time with this but has very happy with the start. I will have to try the Remington Accutips as they seem to get great reviews.

Cheers

MOE

Back