• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Slug Gun Scope

njsportsman

Copper BB
Hello I am new to this forum and to the Mossberg family. I just purchased a new slug gun and am in search for a new scope for it. For the immediate use I am going to take my scope from my 30.06 and put it on my slug gun. The reason is I don't have the cash for the scope I want so, not to compromise with a cheap scope I will wait till I can get what I want. I have a good scope to put on and think it should work. I have an old Redfield Golden 5 Star 2X7. Correct me if I am wrong about the Redfield. I am looking for recommendations on what to get. I am looking at a Nikon Prostaff for about $160. Are there any value scopes out there for $100 or less? If so what? As I said I don't want to cheap out but sometimes there are good values out there. I don't want a Tasco but I don't need a Swarovski either. Any recommendations welcome thanks in advance.

Bushnell has worked good for me in the past, as long as you step up to at least the second tier. I forget what they are called offhand but it's a step above what they sell off the rack in a lot of stores.

Nikon is a good bargain. Even the lower end Leupolds (VX1-VX2) are great and a lot cheaper than the VX3 series.

Simmons has some nice ones from what I've heard.

My experience is that you really don't start getting anything decent (I know that's relative) until you hit closer to the $150 mark.

There are a lot of decent, value priced optics out there that work well on many rifle calibers. The biggest issue is that they're simply not made to hold up under the repeated jarring and vibration of 12ga recoil.

There is not going to be a whole lot of difference in features and quality between models in the $100 range, so I'd look for the one with the best repair/replacement warranty...

njsportsman said:
Hello I am new to this forum and to the Mossberg family. I just purchased a new slug gun and am in search for a new scope for it. For the immediate use I am going to take my scope from my 30.06 and put it on my slug gun. The reason is I don't have the cash for the scope I want so, not to compromise with a cheap scope I will wait till I can get what I want. I have a good scope to put on and think it should work. I have an old Redfield Golden 5 Star 2X7. Correct me if I am wrong about the Redfield. I am looking for recommendations on what to get. I am looking at a Nikon Prostaff for about $160. Are there any value scopes out there for $100 or less? If so what? As I said I don't want to cheap out but sometimes there are good values out there. I don't want a Tasco but I don't need a Swarovski either. Any recommendations welcome thanks in advance.

take a look to this post: http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5800

I tested this riflescope with blacpowder and also Magnum 3" Remington Accutip Sabots shotshells.Any problem.

I am a huge fan of the Nikon SlugHunter with BDC. I use it on all my slug guns with great success.

Back