• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Snipe Hunting

Has anyone besides me ever been snipe hunting? I miss going last year season because of not having a shotgun.

Funny you should ask. Back in, oh I'd say was about ought five, I bagged me a whole bag of snipe in one night. Must of been three or four half dozens if there was one. Good eatin' too!

Where did my manners go? You're more than welcome to borrow my Mossy!

We used to go snipe fishing in Cali. You could only catch em by hand when they swam ashore to spawn. ;)

Kadelic said:
Funny you should ask. Back in, oh I'd say was about ought five, I bagged me a whole bag of snipe in one night. Must of been three or four half dozens if there was one. Good eatin' too!

Where did my manners go? You're more than welcome to borrow my Mossy!
:) Well I appreciate that but I am planning on taking care of not haveing a shotgun here in a few days. There is a place in coppell that has layaway and I been looking at a weatherby PA-08 they have for about 320.00 brand new. I think they take trade-ins so I have a savage axis 308 with scope I am going to use as a down payment I only had for a few months.

ripjack13 said:
We used to snipe fishing in Cali. You could only catch em by hand when they swam ashore to spawn. ;)

We weren't near the shore. We had to hunt near the local lakes with large burlap bags. You really gotta focus on one only when there is a bunch together. Gets too crazy when they all start running in circles... :ugeek:

You need 2 5 gallon buckets, one to drum on to attract them and the other to put them in. (other parts of the country have their own regs and rules, like just a sack or something.) The drum bucket needs to have holes in randomly spaced to let out any water so that when the fish n game officers check in on ya you only have one bucket to keep them in live.
Just after dusk the snipe start to gather around the shore looking for a place to spawn in. The sound of the bucket being beating on drives them wild. Usually they take their time , but there has been some times where as soon as they hear/feel the beat they start jumpin out and onto the shore wiggling up to find the noise and lay eggs. They then return to the water and die off some time after. (It really is a sight to see. All these snipe swimin around in circles jumping up and on the shore, doin their little dance of death as the locals say) You need to scoop em up by hand before they lay eggs. That's the real important part. If they lay their eggs and then you catch em, they die in your bucket. And that's not good. It helps if you have a few buddies around to corral them towards the guy with the live bucket, he just stands there scooping them up and putting them in the bucket.
The snipe season starts after the last day in march.

:lol: Alright, I think my leg is getting pulled on here with some of the responses :lol: So just to show what I hunted here is a link :ugeek:

http://www.thesnipehunter.com/

I grew up on a farm that was about 100 acres that had creeks and 1 large 3 acre pond and I use to see the snipes which I thought at the time was just another species of killdee but this was during the fall and winter months. My dad got me into snipe hunting when I was old enough to carry his 20 guage and you can prepare them just like quail or dove. And beware Texas does consider them a migratory game bird and there is a season to hunt them and you need a stamp for migratory game birds and I found out the hard way 1 year a few years ago but luck would have it the Judge was very easy on me since it was my 1st time.

A snipe hunt is a type of practical joke that involves experienced people making fun of credulous newcomers by giving them an impossible or imaginary task. The snipe hunt may be assigned to a target as part of a process of hazing.

The origin of the term is a practical joke where inexperienced campers are told about a bird or animal called the snipe as well as a usually preposterous method of catching it, such as running around the woods carrying a bag or making strange noises such as banging rocks together. Real snipe (a family of shorebirds) are difficult to catch for experienced hunters, so much so that the word "sniper" is derived from it to refer to anyone skilled enough to shoot one.

Examples
In the pizza-making business, newcomers are told to look in the fridge for the dough repair kit.
Another variation includes being sent to procure a "long weight" or "long stand," the idea being that the dupe will reach the shop (or equivalent source of the mythical object) and place the request. The target is then left waiting by the shop keeper (who is presumably familiar with the trick) and thus receives a long wait.
Other common restaurant practical jokes of the like are sending the new employee to another restaurant to borrow the "bacon stretcher", or a can of steam.
In construction, a "board stretcher" is the analogous prank.

Welcome to MO!!!

Don't forget "a box of toe nails". "Left handed screwdriver" "Drywall bender"

:)

Or for us aviation types...

50 yds of flightline (that's where the planes are parked)

2-5 gal buckets of prop wash...

And my favorite..."Hey new guy, go get the keys to this fighter.. I left them in OPS" - Crewchief to his new trainee...there are no keys to fighters.

:lol: I was totally screwed over once snipe hunting... I will never again believe anything that comes out of my Father-in-laws mouth!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OhioArcher said:
A snipe hunt is a type of practical joke that involves experienced people making fun of credulous newcomers by giving them an impossible or imaginary task. The snipe hunt may be assigned to a target as part of a process of hazing.

The origin of the term is a practical joke where inexperienced campers are told about a bird or animal called the snipe as well as a usually preposterous method of catching it, such as running around the woods carrying a bag or making strange noises such as banging rocks together. Real snipe (a family of shorebirds) are difficult to catch for experienced hunters, so much so that the word "sniper" is derived from it to refer to anyone skilled enough to shoot one.

Examples
In the pizza-making business, newcomers are told to look in the fridge for the dough repair kit.
Another variation includes being sent to procure a "long weight" or "long stand," the idea being that the dupe will reach the shop (or equivalent source of the mythical object) and place the request. The target is then left waiting by the shop keeper (who is presumably familiar with the trick) and thus receives a long wait.
Other common restaurant practical jokes of the like are sending the new employee to another restaurant to borrow the "bacon stretcher", or a can of steam.

Welcome to MO!!!

Since I knew what a snipe was at a very early age I already knew that snipe hunting with a gunny sack was a practical joke :cool:.

OhioArcher said:

Examples

Welcome to MO!!!

Yea them birds when flushed fly a very erratic zig-zag pattern. I got pretty good at getting enough for a family of 5 to get their fill that shooting quail and dove was pretty easy :D

Anti-static battery for the slim Jim to open car doors without shorting the electric locks... Had a guy going to almost every store in the mall :) lol... Till the Director of Security called me in to ask what the hell I had this kid searching for... He laughed till he cried and said "OK, carry on."

Semper Fi my Brothers & Sisters in Arms.

Back