• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Solar Battery Charger

BillyTheKid

Administrator
Administrator
looking to potentially pick up a solar battery charger but when searching there a hundreds of different brands/styles to choose from. anyone have insight on the best brand to get? Not looking for anything extreme, just enough to charge a phone or my camelbak all clear bottle if need be...

What kind (size) battery are you wanting to charge?

without knowing the size (voltage, aH) of the batteries, I would be unable to help you determine what kind/size solar charger would work. That's why I asked you about the batteries and that is why you're finding hundreds of different little solar chargers.

A solar panel with way too much, or too little voltage would mess up the battery, or certain types of batteries (gel cell for instance) require certain types of chargers regardless.

I did a quick generic google search for the camelbak water thing and didn't see note of the battery size/type, so if it has a regular AC adapter that you could plug in the wall, look on the plug-in part and it should tell you the output voltage in dc or ac voltage (important) and likely the amperage of it or look in the owners manual, or pop the battery cover off and look, but somewhere you should be able to find out what kind (size/type) of battery is in it

Do the same with your cell phone charger. Look on the plug in and find out the voltage/amperage of your plug of your wall charger.

Without knowing that information, no one will be able to help answer your question and you may have to have a seperate charger for each item anyway since they'll probably be different battery voltages anyway unless you're wanting something that you can switch to various voltages to charge the items individually like this:

http://www.amazon.com/volt-battery-char ... 12&sr=8-41

But note if it doesn't have the correct adapter included with the little solar panel, you may have to strip some of the factory charger plug wire (taking care of the polarity--this is very easy to do with a volt/ohm meter) to use the factory plug in the device and connect the solar panel to the wire with the alligator clips.

thanks for the info, as you can see i know zero about solar chargers. the camelbak bottle will be in on friday so i will update on the info regarding what type of battery it has and will look at the specs of my iphone as well.

I'm pretty happy with my Goal0 solar charger, but it may be more efficient just to carry spare batteries. A spare battery for most modern cell phones is a pretty small item. I'm not familiar with the battery for the CamelBak, but it's probably smaller than a solar charger. Plus, if you run into a rainy or cloudy stretch, the solar charger is going to be less than optimal.

Back