• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sometimes you see something that you just want to share

I used to work at a plant that built lightweight walls for high-rise buildings. They were made out of light gauge steel and lots of screws, different varieties of manufactured Styrofoam, board, mesh, glue and synthetic plaster.

Anyhow the bosses son-in-law built a bunch of fake landscaping rocks for his property out of leftover chunks of Styrofoam and plaster, anchored to the ground with rebar.

The acrylic plaster was reinforced with fibers in it made a very hard surface that could Withstand severe weather. It’s all one color, Underneath, so if you chip it, its unnoticed.

Anyhow we discussed the idea of building a Fred Flintstone house out of Styrofoam and a fiber reinforced acrylic plaster.

That never happened but amazingly, 10 years later at a different company, a guy brings me the plans for this Fred Flintstone looking bus “station”.

It was gonna be made from acrylic plaster infused haybales, woven together with epoxy coated steel rebar, The structure then covered with mesh, and shot with acrylic “gunnite” (Like shooting a swimming pool.)

Fortunately, the city fathers decided that it was a bad idea and scrapped the whole project; because we probably would’ve face the humiliation of having it torn down after a short period of time, when some toxic mold starts seeping out.

I’m not sure how the architect sold the idea to the city enough to bring it all the way through the engineering phase, but at least we got paid something for our work.

Like the contracting business, there’s getting paid for your hourly work and then there’s making a profit on a job, and those are two different things. I’ve worked on jobs where we didn’t get paid at all, So thank Heaven for Little favors.

Are those entrances to something larger/deeper, or is that all there is to them? Take care. Tom Worthington

Pretty sure that's a small cave entrance.

Nope. Only concreted the mouth/opening.

Back