• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sporting Clays

Gunner

.270 WIN
I'm thinking about shooting some sporting clays this fall, there is a very good sporting clays range nearby so I've been told and I thought I'd give it a go...so what does a novice to sporting clays need to know about sporting clays...I don't want to show up with what isn't going to work...so what do I need to know or bring etc..

What type of shotgun do you own...?!

Hopefully it's a Mossberg...but if not... that's OK

I shoot TONS of clays.
Sporting can be shot with any shotgun that can hold 2 shells. No single shots, since they do throw true pairs at some stations.
Most people do not shoot a pump. O/U's, and Semi Autos are mostly used. Some use SxS's and a few use pumps. I own all kinds of styles and makes of shotguns but I usually use one of my 500's.
I love a pump gun and since I hunt with them it makes sense to shoot Clays and Skeet with them.

A shell belt really helps. If you are shooting a 50 target course then it helps if it can hold 2 boxes. If you have one that only holds one box then you will need a bag to carry the rest of your shells. On a 100 target course a bag is absolutely needed.

If you are planning on changing chokes at each station then do that BEFORE you step up to shoot.
When your squad gets to each station ask to see the birds. Then decide on what choke you will use for the presentation. Once you get up to the line there is no changing chokes. All this only matters if you plan on, or can change your chokes. A lot of folks just shoot a Mod or IC for the whole course. That is up to you.

On some of the bigger courses a motorized cart is a good choice. Most of the real good courses offer rentals of carts. There are even courses that do not allow motorized carts at all. These are usually smaller courses and the walk is not that bad.

Other than that it is fairly simple. Pay your money. Shoot the course and HAVE FUN! :D

LTB45 said:
Most people do not shoot a pump.

I'm the exception to the rule. LOL I've shot all of my clays with a pump gun.

I did not soo to many other pump guns.

MikeD said:
LTB45 said:

I guess that I am too. I have shot my O/U's, SxS' and Semi's. Hell you have to play with all your toys BUT the pumps are what have been getting the call at least 99% of the time.

LTB45 said:
MikeD said:
LTB45 said:

I guess that I am too. I have shot my O/U's, SxS' and Semi's. Hell you have to play with all your toys BUT the pumps are what have been getting the call at least 99% of the time.

All I had access to at the time i was heavy into it was an 870, an old 16G SxS and a single shot 20G.

The 16G was too expensive for me to shoot at the time and the 20g got real boring with only one shot. I could reload it fast but not fast enough for this. LOL

Old 16G SxS can be VERY COOL!
I have some friends that are members of the Parker Gun Collectors Association.
They have a yearly shoot at one of the best Clays course in the North East, Addieville East Farm in Rhode Island. I have shot with the association there and some of the guns are SPECTACULAR!
I was actually holding a gun there that was worth MORE THAN MY HOUSE :shock:
Holding it was enough for me....The guy never offered me to shoot it and I did not ask.

Sorry to the OP for the mibor hijack of the thread.
Here is a link to Addieville if anyone is around there and wants a great Clay course to shoot.
Ruger North American holds its sporting clays championship there every year.
http://www.addieville.com/

No problem LTB45.
I was thinking of using a pump shotgun...

I have an Ithaca DS Combo with a 24" VR barrel and Brilley chokes, that sits a lot more than it gets used and is the shotgun I had in mind for sporting clays. It's a beautiful shotgun, and a shame it sits around.

I usually take one of my mossbergs when I go hunting and the Ithaca sits, and sits because it's too pretty to beat the brush with...LOL

I will give some thought to a double barrel, possibly a sxs or ou. I want to get out and try sporting clays before I invest in another shotgun.

Gunner,
Your pump will do just fine to get you started.
If you find that you want to be Competitive at Sporting then you may end up with an O/U.
Most of the best shooters use them.
2 choke options for each station is something that they really appreciate.
I have seen guys approach a new station and place their BOX full of chokes on the gun rest and ask to see the pair. Then they slowly change each barrel to the correct choke for the bird that each barrel will break. It is a process that some really enjoy.
I do not shoot Sporting Clays competitively and find their process a bit tedious.
But hey, to each his own...LOL!

I only shoot Trap for competition, and not with any of my pumps. All the other games that I shoot are strictly for fun and my pumps usually get the call.

LTB45,

I probably won't be messing with choke tubes...LOL

I'm thinking of buying a brick of bulk 7 or 8 shot from wal-mart and using a modified choke to start with...

I'm really not looking to compete, at least not at this stage. There is both a skeet/trap range and sporting clays range all within 8-10 miles from home so they are close by and their rates are (from what I can tell) fairly reasonable...

I like to shoot, so I think it's potentially a good deal all the way around, other than I'm a total novice...gotta start somewhere...lol

I shoot a lot of Skeet this time of year.
ATA Trap in my state is done for the season.
But when I am planning on shooting Sporting during the Trap season, I try to get in a round or two of Skeet to warm me up for all the crossing target presentations they throw in Sporting.
It is great practice for Sporting.

I usually shoot 8's for all games since I reload and buy MANY 25lb bags of 8. A lot of the better Sporting guys prefer 7 1/2 shot. I dont really see the difference.

Mod choke will do you fine to start off with and will make you a better shot in the long run.

Once you get started shooting the clay games, you may find that you will be addicted to them, especially if you have a place to shoot so close to home.

Have fun! and let us know how it goes.

Hi, Gunner. LTB is absolutely correct.......................shooting trap or skeet is absolutely addictive. I used to shoot and reload 500/700 rounds a week and couldn't wait to be prepared for "next Saturday" when we'd go back to the range to shoot 500/700 more! I actually think it's more addictive than alcohol! ;) Go with any shotgun you want that holds at least two shells and have yourself some fun. You'll get hooked, and soon you'll have a ton of money invested in an expensive over/under shotgun with a "release" trigger. :D That's just the nature of the beast! :lol: Hope you have a great time. I miss it myself................but not the expense. ( and that was when it only cost me .05 cents a shot when I was reloading my own!!!!!) Great bunch of guys on the range.

I have not done this in years, miss it loads. The local club closed when the guy who ran it decided to move to Florida, after all he was retired so can fault the guy. Now the closest club is about a hour drive one way. Needless to say, even when I was shooting the drive cos'd a decrease in activity.

I like many other's have used alot of guns doing this. I normaly was able to average about a 70, not great but alot of fun. Shot a few leagues the owner of the club use to pair me with the most experience guys who was shooting to try and help me learn. After all its alot diffrent than going out with a hand thrower or spring loaded thrower alot more diffrent looks. Teals and rabbits and crossing birds was my favorite targets.

My personal best score was at the 2nd club I shot at. My father a cousin a friend and I went, they was all shooting 12ga, myself....I took a EAA 28ga O/U, broke 87 birds should of broke over 90 but choked after looking at the score card on the final 2-3 stations. Shot the best out of the group with a gun twice as small as theirs.

Boy this topic sure makes me miss it.

On the subject of the pump....There was a regular out that was at the 1st club all the time. He shot a Winchester Model 12, gun was rough hardly any finish left anywhere at all on this baby. But boy could he make it sing, this course never got ran but this guy broke 99 birds on 3 seperate occansions, 3 seperate course designs. I remember this because I can still hear the owner complaining about having to go back through and change the course after each time he did it.

SHOOTER13 said:
What type of shotgun do you own...?!

Hopefully it's a Mossberg...but if not... that's OK

At present I have a 500 bantam, probably not the best choice for clays but not to shabby for HD

Back