• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Spring Turkey 2015

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
The blind is set up, I'm not sure about the profile against the tree line and brush. There's a better spot with a much better back drop but that puts a good size tree squarely in the center of the field of vision. The sun comes up behind and a little left of this position.

image.jpg image.jpg

I have camo burlap to cover the opening as well, to work like a screen. This offers a nice panoramic view of this area. Turkeys have roosted in the trees to the right of these pics and have nested in the brush to the left. There are typically quite a few tracks through this area and several large toms have been seen back here.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Now I just have to do my part. The flock that moves through here is around 30 to 50 birds. I've seen a dozen or so break off and in my own yard.

I'm excited to be hunting again with my daughter and an old friend!

I'm hoping to hunt the early season which starts next Monday (4/20). it only runs two weeks and I can pretty much only hunt weekends unless I take time off.

Our season runs 4/20 to 5/17. I'm pretty much stuck to weekends only too.

I think I'm going to brush behind the blind to better obscure its outline, especially as the sun comes up.

Any opinions yay or nay on that?

Unlike deer turkeys dont care about the outline of the blind. But if they pick out any color or movement in the blind the game is over. I wear dark and keep the windows closed as much as i can and still see/shoot. I will also hang screens to help block movement and keep the inside of the blind darker.

CT season is all month long....
2015 SPRING TURKEY SEASON DATES
• April 29 – May 30 State Land
• April 29 – May 30 Private Land

booyah!...I'm still not sure if I will be going out. It would be nice....

CT season is all month long....
2015 SPRING TURKEY SEASON DATES
• April 29 – May 30 State Land
• April 29 – May 30 Private Land

booyah!...I'm still not sure if I will be going out. It would be nice....

DO IT!!! I Command You to Hunt!!!! ROFL

I'm going to start out hunting in the blind I built last year. I got more turkey than deer pics on the cams last year and it is only about 100 yards from where I've taken may last 4 birds. (I think it may exactly where I killed my first bird out there.)

I plan out using the Middleton 355SS crossbow this year with the Barnett Raptor as a backup. Or if all else fails one of my trusty Mossbergs ;-D.

I'm such a turkey hunting nerd, I've been breaking in my mouth calls when I'm alone in the car. LOL

Ill be using an 835 and a couple 500s. Well, that assumes we see anything and coax it into range.

I inadvertently broke the one mouth call I was beginning to get decent at. I though it had an aluminum frame. It was plastic. It broke as I tried to adjust it. I have a few others but I don't care for them as much.

QUOTE MikeD,,,,,I'm such a turkey hunting nerd, I've been breaking in my mouth calls when I'm alone in the car. LOL[/QUOTE]

I hope the windows are closed,,,,,you might get shot.:rolleyes:

The sign is strictly from a policemens recommendation.

We were having some trouble last year with a guy trespassing, so we put up about a dozen posted no trespassing signs around the entire property.

I have his picture saved on my computer just for future reference, but that was before the sign was put up.

Now, if I get another picture of the guy walking through again, the sign will be in the screen as well.

Policemen said it would be a slam dunk case with both the guy and the sign in the same picture.

But the sign is there mostly to protect our assets if you know what I mean.

I heard news the other day there was a makeshift cabin built on up the ridge a little that someone threw together. The guy that was telling me about it said it looked liked some fairly fresh cans strewn about and said it looked like someone was squatting up there.

I can tell you one thing though, the property that it is said to be on is a state forest and is posted no trespassing, no nothing animal preserve, so the guy better not get caught on either side coming or going now.

Lol, aaaaannnnnd...

He'd get close, and he'd go farther away. And he'd get close, and he'd get farther away.

He continued gobbling for over an hour though and a few hens called back too.

We'll go back out tomorrow for a bit before church. We're just practicing our calling right now, the season doesn't officially start until Monday.

Back