• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Spring Turkey 2015

If you find yourself competing with other hens start talking over them. As soon as they start, hit your call. I called in my last tom doing this.

Sometimes the hens will get pissed and come in with the tom in tow. Or it may blow up in your face. Thats the beauty of turkey hunting. And why i love it so.

Thanks to the ass hat known as Malloy our governor, I now have to get a ammo permit. A hunting permit. And a firearm hunting permit. ...and our hours are sunrise to noon...

F$%&#* pisses me off.......

First Longbeard for my son that we got on the 18th, first day of Indiana's youth hunt. Wasted no time either. 6 a.m. and he was down. We got to watch him breed a hen before coming to us, then his 3 buddies came in and whooped up on him for awhile. Very cool morning for my son and I. The turkey was 22 pounds with a 10 inch beard and 20mm spurs. Not sure who was happier, me or the boy.

Thanks a heck of an accomplishment. Especially at his age.

Congratulations young man. I hope you have many more successful hunts.

First Longbeard for my son that we got on the 18th, first day of Indiana's youth hunt. Wasted no time either. 6 a.m. and he was down. We got to watch him breed a hen before coming to us, then his 3 buddies came in and whooped up on him for awhile. Very cool morning for my son and I. The turkey was 22 pounds with a 10 inch beard and 20mm spurs. Not sure who was happier, me or the boy.

Congrats to you both...

Thanks for all the compliments, fellas. I passed those on to Derek which put a big smile on his face.
Derek was using a Mossy 500C 20 gauge with a Hunter's Specialties Undertaker choke, Winchester XX Magnum #5 load, at about 15 yards. I was getting nervous as the bird closed the distance because he was getting too close. Instead of coming down an old road like we wanted, he followed a hen through the brush before coming to us. Derek took the first good shot he got. His pattern at 15 yards is about a only about a foot wide or so, but very uniform. Last year he got a Jake at about 30 yards with the same gun/load and that bird never even twitched after hitting the ground. It has surprised me how good a 20 gauge works on turkeys, considering I use an 835 with 3 1/2" Winchester Supreme #5. I called a bird in for a friend's youngest son 3 or 4 years ago and he shot that bird at 42 steps out in a field with an H&R Pardner pump, factory full choke tube and Winchester XX Mags. That bird also hit the ground with hardly a twitch.
I have learned not to underestimate the power of a 20 gauge.

Don't underestimate a single shot .410 with 6 shot either.

I've seen several turkeys taken with it.

And a .410 is what I first started using squirrel hunting. 45 yard shots were routine.

Matter of fact, I still enjoy grabbing one for hunting sometimes.

I've been in the woods 4 days now and plan on going after Church tomorrow and hunt for next 3 days. I had a couple toms called to the edge of the field but would not come further, maybe next time.

Back