• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Squirrel Hunting in Illinois

Lefty9

.270 WIN
I find it very interesting that the DNR in this State puts NO restraints on the kind/caliber of firearm one can use hunting tree rats . I can use a .30-06 if I so choose ! Seems odd to me as can only use a shot gun with slug to hunt deer ..........

Same here in MI. It has to do with the number of people in the woods. Many of the game laws on the books really do not make sense.

In the Upper Peninsula of MI crossbows are outlawed for late archery season deer hunting because they are afraid people will shoot deer as they yard up. Never mind the muzzleloaders that will shoot 100-200 yards. Or the .22 's that make little noise in the woods. If people are going to break the law they are going to do it regardless.

Huckleberry - how right you are ! Many of the game laws are redickulous ....... , in fact ,huge portions of our governments are out in left field !!

If you shoot a squirrel for the meat...even a .22 can even be overkill.

30-06 !? That would vaporize a squirrel... :rolleyes:

I use a .177 pellet gun with a built in suppressor to drop the varmints on my acres...

Only sound you heard is them hitting the ground.

For squaks, I use either shotgun or 22lr. All depending on my mood.

I have attempted to kill tree rats with a .22 cal. pump pellet gun using a 28 grain pellet at close range ; unless I hit them in the head or heart - they scamper away and I never see them again .
Of course a large caliber bullet would vaporize the mammal - I was just trying to make a point .

The pellet gun you're using isn't enough gun.

John ,
that would explain it .....it's the 392 and I put 8 pumps in it . I wonder if it's better to use a lighter pellet and get the f.p.s way up there ; or, a big heavy pellet that hits like a brick ...what do you think ?

I just read the specs on the 392. Looks like they're advertised about 684 fps second. That's about half of what a rimfire 22lr performs.

And as far as pumping it up a lot of times, rarely increases velocity because there is only so much internal volume in the onboard canister and there is a point of diminishing returns.

Continually pumping up the gun is much like over-filling your gas tank and won't make the car drive faster or give it more MPG either.

On the same note, if you fill the tank with cool air, (from inside in the AC) and then set the gun in the hot summer sun outside for a while, will increase velocity some because as the air heats, it expands. But even then, there is only a marginal velocity increase. Believe me, I've tried ;)

You would get more velocity with lighter alloy pellets, and more thump with the heavier lead pellet, but will also decrease in velocity.

I would try the lighter pellets just to see how they do. You may be to get a little more penetration with them.

Last edited:
I have attempted to kill tree rats with a .22 cal. pump pellet gun using a 28 grain pellet at close range ; unless I hit them in the head or heart - they scamper away and I never see them again .
Of course a large caliber bullet would vaporize the mammal - I was just trying to make a point .

I bought my grandson a .22 cal. nitro piston break barrel pellet gun for his birthday and he has killed several squirrels (and many other things) with it. He likes a challenge so I got him a 150 lb. crossbow for Christmas.

John A. ,
you seem to be a smart feller . 8 pumps is as high as I go and I believe that is not above recommended factory specs.
I will try a lighter pellet and see if my kill rate go's up . Thanks !

Ken ,
I got a couple of those Nitro II .22 cal break barrels myself . I got to believe they develop more ft lbs. of energy then the Pump 392 , but I'm partial and sentimental to the Pumper ..........I had one when I was a kid and sure loved that gun .........

Ken ,
I got a couple of those Nitro II .22 cal break barrels myself . I got to believe they develop more ft lbs. of energy then the Pump 392 , but I'm partial and sentimental to the Pumper ..........I had one when I was a kid and sure loved that gun .........

If I recall, the nitro-piston I got my grandson have a fps very close to the quiet 22 shorts. My pellet gun has a 10 pump maximum recommendation.

Back