• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Squirrel Hunting

Re: First squirrel with a pistol.

tcecil88 said:
Thanks for the compliments, rjpoog1989 and feillins.
SHOOTER13 said:
S62.jpg

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!! :lol:
Did he bite the bullet like that or did you put it in his mouth? Either way I got a good roll out of it. :D
Yeah - he looks ready for the oven - with a pig you'd use an apple, that looks like a grape although I bet it's his exploded esophagus or something similarly unappetizing!! :eek:

Re: First squirrel with a pistol.

tcecil88 said:
Looks like an acorn. :)

That's what I was thinking as well.

Dedicated squirrel hunting pistol

using this thread as inspiration: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5242

Well here's my situation. During fall turkey season I normally carry around my 535 with turkey loads, and my .22lr that I use for squirrel. Now I know I could just use the .22 for turkey, but that would be too simple. So... I would like to carry a pistol instead of the .22 rifle. I'm thinking a revolver in .22wmr or .17hmr with a scope on it. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on this setup, but at the same time I'd like to actually hit what I'm shooting at. Budget is around 500$ for the whole deal. I know very little about pistols other than 1911s so I'm hoping that ya'll will be able to help me out.

This is what I've come up with:
http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... series=TS2
http://www.jackweigand.com/Taurus_Tracker_17.html

Thanks in advance

Re: Dedicated squirrel hunting pistol

You should be able to get a .22LR Ruger MkII or -III for around $300 and put a red dot or a 1.5x pistol scope on it. The saved cost of WMR or .17HMR gives you a lot more choices to consider.

Browning BuckMark

Smiff and Western 22A

I had a Ruger 22/45 MkII Great Eight that was a hella good squirrel pistol inside of 35-yards w/o optics.

I've taken a few squirrels with a Ruger MK I with open sights.

The Browning Buckmarks are also very accurate guns.

I've looked at that Kel-Tec and it's on my list of want to try's. ;-D

I had a Kel-Tec P-11 a while back, made in the USA, great warranty but fit and finish left a bit to be desired but for a $250 NIB gun w/ 2 magazines I was not going to complain. Overall it was a great gun and would not hesitate to try another made by them.

I should mention that it's not legal to hunt with semi-auto in PA. I had to look it up just to double check, but that leaves me with less options.

I do like the Ruger revolvers. A friend of mine has one in .22 and .22mag.

I kinda like the more modern look of the taurus revolver, but I know very little about taurus. Another friend has a Taurus 1911, and a Taurus revolver in .357 mag. He likes both and is planning on adding to his Taurus collection. Other than that, I know very little about the company.

Taurus is one of those companies that got a bit of a bad reputation when they were new and still having teething pains....So a lot of people here in the US still turn their nose up at them. In all honesty though, the company has grown a lot. They picked up some contracts with the Brazilian military years ago and invested all that money on new machinery and manufacturing technology. I remember seeing an ad in a magazine last year that said Taurus is the only firearms manufacturer that makes ALL of their major components in-house...no outsourcing. They've turned into a pretty impressive company with quality guns that they can keep pricing reasonable on.

They are good enough for Jessie Duff.......nuff said

I have a Taurus 689. I have nothing negative to say about Taurus. I've taken a lot of flack for it but that gun has been flawless since the day I bought it.

I've still love to pick up an older Ruger Single Six for hunting.

The price of .22 revolvers has went throught the roof here. Ruger Single 9 and 10 are gonna run $450 or better. Stainless Tauri will run $400 or better. Charter Arms is more than the Taurus. Heritage Arms is selling around here for $225, but it is a single action with the ditch rear sight. Prolly take some doing to put a scope on it.

tcecil88 said:
The price of .22 revolvers has went throught the roof here. Ruger Single 9 and 10 are gonna run $450 or better. Stainless Tauri will run $400 or better. Charter Arms is more than the Taurus. Heritage Arms is selling around here for $225, but it is a single action with the ditch rear sight. Prolly take some doing to put a scope on it.

Ya, it's not only picking the one I want, but finding it at the right price...

I owned two ruger MarkII with heavy barrel for years. Very good pistol. Used wife and I both qualified for our cwp with them. Owned a Browning Buckmark camper for a short time. I liked the trigger pull on the Browning.

I'd get a browning buckmark or ruger mk. But since you said that wasn't an option, I like my ruger single six

Hunting Squirrels Indoors

I'm looking for a cheap quiet pellet pistol or something to kill some squirrels with. They've taken over my shed(which is attached to my house), and are destroying everything. I sit at the kitchen table and I can hear them chattering to each other out there, and it keeps getting louder each day. At first I was content with them there, but they've just multiplied too much now and are ruining everything. Can't even store stuff out there anymore unless I want it destroyed. I want them gone! I thought about using my 22lr because it's just the shed, already enough holes in the wall, but I could only shoot safely in one direction, which the squirrels never seem to be in that direction. Plus the noise is a little loud with a .22, I'm up early in the morning which is when the squirrels are doing their thing, don't want to wake the whole house up with gunshots.

What do you guys think would be best?

Re: Hunting Squirrels Indoors

If you're wanting quiet, then get a cage trap and small bag of cracked corn so they have to stand on the trap door part to get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-0745-Pro ... irrel+cage

Also, if you know how and where they are getting in, you could set off a bug bomb or two in there. They'd smell it and leave, and while they are gone, you can board up their entrance points.

If bug bombs wouldn't be safe to let off, go out and buy a big can of mace and spray it into a large empty bucket and leave it there to smell the place up real bad. You spray it in a bucket so cleanup is minimal and easy.

Lots of different ways to get rid of them short of rat poison. Which probably would also work, but then you have to worry about neighborhood pets eating on them and the likes after the fact.

If you're determined to do it with a pellet/airgun, I would personally want one that is at least 950 fps and accurate at the distance you'll be shooting from.

I own two ruger which I used for hunting. It was the best experienced I ever had when I finally shot with 3 squirrels when I went hunting last year. So happy I am.

Back