• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Squirrel Hunting

Messyrat

Copper BB
I'm using a 390kb c-lect a choke 16 gauge for squirrels. Is #6 federal brass loads ok? Should I use a moderate or full choke?

Re: squirrels

It is hard to say what choke would be best without patterning the shotgun with whatever shot you plan to use.

My first shotgun was a Stevens singleshot 16 gauge. It has a modified choke and with 6 shot is fantastic for squirrels.

But what Dhonovich is saying is try shooting a few rounds with each of the chokes to see which works the best.

As others before have said...each shotgun patterns differently and what works for one does'nt necessarily work for all.

Howdy, and welcome to the club. Let us know how you like it here, and if there's anything else we can help you with. After you pattern, let us know the outcome. And when you have time post up some pix of your Mossberg for us, we love checkin out the different set ups we all use.

First squirrel with a pistol.

In my quest to save my vehicle's from furry critters, I sighted in my Smith & Wesson 22A .22lr with an old 3X Burris pistol scope I had and patiently waited. I missed him the first time because I jerked the trigger. Next time he was 30 yards away and 25 ft up a tree, but he should not have stuck his head back out. :)
IMG00091-20121017-1815.jpg

All my vehicles have some sort of damage from the squirrels, both Fox and Piney squirrels.

Re: First squirrel with a pistol.

Congrats!!!

I got my first last year. I know how hard a target they can be, esp with a handgun.

We have all kinds of grey squirrels, and even a bunch of half breed fox/greys', but I have only ever seen 3 legitimate fox squirrels in the county I live in all my life.

One of them is mounted on my mantle because they are so scarce here.

Thanks for the compliments, fellas. I hate to shoot the squirrels, because I like to watch them, but they are really tearing things up under the hoods of my vehicles.
We have Fox squirrels (also known as Reds), Pineys, and Ground squirrels here where I live. But we also have Greys else where in the state but they do not seem very prevelant in the indianapolis area.
We were in Michigan and Wisconsin last week and saw squirrels that were all black. Pretty cool looking.

I have a hard enough time hitting them with a .22 rifle let alone a pistol. Hell of a shot man!

Need more than one for stew. But it would make a great sammich.

Good shooting.

tcecil88 said:
Thanks for the compliments, fellas. I hate to shoot the squirrels, because I like to watch them, but they are really tearing things up under the hoods of my vehicles.
We have Fox squirrels (also known as Reds), Pineys, and Ground squirrels here where I live. But we also have Greys else where in the state but they do not seem very prevelant in the indianapolis area.
We were in Michigan and Wisconsin last week and saw squirrels that were all black. Pretty cool looking.

I hear ya tc...a real dangerous nusiance...I probably have 100 confirmed kills and they still show up everyday...them and the chipmunks too !! They burrow into your house, the eves of your attic, and if they move in and settle...chew on wires which can cause a fire...their feces can make you sick...and you hear them running around in the middle of the night. You gotta be a good shot to nail a chipmunk in the head.... :mrgreen:

C1.jpg

C5.jpg

C12_zps259755ea.jpg

C10_zpsf6c1e080.jpg

S24.jpg

S30.jpg

S25.jpg

S62.jpg

Took all of them with this...

GAMOWHISPER177.jpg

My brother has a nice gamo. 1300fps I think. I sighted it in for him over the summer. However he let his wifes friend borrow it and hasn't seen it since.... lol

Nice. I took many squirrels as a kid with a Daisy 880.

Thanks for the compliments, rjpoog1989 and feillins.
SHOOTER13 said:

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!! :lol:
Did he bite the bullet like that or did you put it in his mouth? Either way I got a good roll out of it. :D

Squirrel #2, big old male, believed to be the mastermind behind the vandalism of my truck. Through and through to the head. :)
I also shot an accomplice, but he got back up the tree and into a den. Judging by the amount of blood at the scene, he won't be coming back out.
IMG00145-20121116-1336.jpg

Back