• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stalking and other stories.

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Share a story!!! Ripjack (and Oli) have a couple sweet turkey stories and I'd like to hear other stories too!

I was with my brother in law in the woods. I knew there were deer and its a great spot. Fresh water runs through the creek, lots of brush and trees, and a couple corn fields up on the opposite side of the creek with some high grass and wild flowers between them.

I started at the creek, at the shallow spots. It was easy picking out tracks in the steep bank, as well as lookin for holes in the low brush from commonly used places for crossing. We started there, checked the direction of what we believed to be the most recent tracks and scanned the other side of the creek. I found a nearly identical hole in the brush.

Through the brush and into the woods, we followed tracks here and there in soft till we made it to the field full of high grass. That was pretty easy too. The deer tend to use the same path and only here and there travel away from it, but its still not incredibly difficult to find those places. We traced the deer through the grass and found one of those split off trails that looped back around to the woods.

Into the woods, we got into a small clearing and lost the identifyable trail. We split up and looked around the edges trying to find disturbed brush, low branches, tracks or anything. I found what I thought may have been the way and called my brother in law over. He came over and stopped quickly when he reached me. We thought we made out a horizontal outline in a forest full of otherwise verticle objects.

A couple of cautious steps forward and we made out for sure the outline of a deer. The doe looked at from about 15 yards away and bolted, crossing a path less than 5 yards from us!

I had my 500 but didnt even raise it. Dont know why, I just didnt. I was just lookin at the thing.

I know, pics or it didnt happen... but hunting for me like fishing, I dont care if I get anything. The hunting part is at least as much fun as getting something.

Now that's a good story. Thanx for posting it up.

Not my story ... but a guy I knew when I worked for a hunting/fishing guide in Montana.

Jerry was quite the character. He pretty much lived hand-to-mouth and was one of the most naturally funny guys I have ever met. One of the ways Jerry made a living was by trapping. When he walked his trap lines, he'd carry a big stick with a knot on the end to kill his catches. (Think of something as hard and slightly smaller than a Louisville Slugger.) After he'd smacked his catches on the head to kill them, Jerry would put them in a feed sack - the old gunny sack type, not the new paper ones - and carry them back to his truck.

On this fateful day, old Jerry found a bobcat in one of his traps. He knocked it in the head as usual and tossed it in his gunny sack. He walked the short distance back to his truck and tossed the sack onto the floor of the passenger side. Jerry usually drove the mountain roads like the hounds of Hell were on his tail. As he's hauling @ss down the mountain, the bobcat suddenly came-to and fought its way out of the sack.

I can't fully capture Jerry's description of what went on in the cab of his truck that morning but one can well imagine. Jerry driving like a bat out of Hell. The P.O.'d bobcat attacking him and trying to get out of the cab of the truck. I'm guessing the inside of that truck looked a little bit like the inside of a wood chipper for a few short moments. Eventually, Jerry had the presence of mind to stop his truck, draw his backup gun and put a bullet in the head of the bobcat.

I never had the chance to see the cat, but I did see the inside of Jerry's truck. It was covered in blood. The dash and upholstery were torn to shreds and the passenger-side window was blown out.

A lesson learned: If you're going to throw a bobcat in your vehicle ... make sure it's dead. :lol:

I guy I knew, not really a friend but when you grow up in a town of 400 you know everyone.

He got an elk. He need help to carry so usually if you go help you get some meat. I was a teenager, my friend and I were walking down the road after unsuccessful hunt and he asked if we would help. So we jumped in his truck and went. He already had it quartered and I got stuck with the big piece because as I teen I was bigger than most men in town….a curse really. But the was only three of us so we got three quarters back and since it was his Dale went back for the last quarter. We were waiting at the truck when were heard a shot and then two more. We took of running toward the shots with our guns in hand to find Dale trembling with his 44 in hand. I yelled “what the ef is going on” and looked down to a dead cougar. Apparently he was packing the last quarter and just got that feeling, looked behind him and saw the cat. So he picked up the pace and went another couple hundred yards, looked back and he was closer. He repeated this and looked and the cat was closer yet. So he threw the meat down and started out briskly ….don’t ever run from a cat. He looked back and the cougar passed over the meat and was just watching him from about 50 yards. Dale had a Super Blackhawk with a 12” barrel in 44 mag so he shot once and got him dead in the front of the chest probably killed him with that shot but anyone who has shot a cat, even a house cat , knows the nervous system of a cat. He said the cat went wild so he let it have two more. The Fish and Wildlife took it but he didn’t get in trouble because they agreed he was in danger. …..this is very rare as this place is littered with cougars and you never hear of them attacking people at all.

thats my scariest hunting story

Dang!!! I'd a been scared too! That Super BlackHawk is sweet, with a 12" barrel and large caliber its a great back up!

Youre right about runnin, and I know everything in your body says run! but deep down you know better. I would likely have run! :lol: Probably a little like wanting to jump from a rollin piece of equipment when you know its safer strapped into the cab!

Back