• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Steyr Arms Today

Thanks for the quick response, DJ! So it is a "toggle" bolt, so to speak? Kinda like a Luger pistol? Sort of? :)

Thanks for the quick response, DJ! So it is a "toggle" bolt, so to speak? Kinda like a Luger pistol? Sort of? :)
Its reminds me of a biathalon type action. The 22lr is very easy to manipulte with your finger or thumb. This 22magnum is quite abit stiffer i only shot it a couple times so far. Seems to me the feediing of the longer shell takes some additional push. Il pickup some ammo this week and give it a good workout a post some results.

That's a lot of moving parts and things.

Will it take 22 shorts too?

I never posted review on the mew rifle. Suffice to say its stupid accurate and is a lot of fun the straight bolt is so mice being a lefty it allowed me to maintain control of grip and trigger while cycle and its fast. As for 22wmr im very satisfied its light much quieter than my centerfires and it will kill more than just varmits easily.20170813_225143.jpg

Dang!!! I've never considered .22 anything as being suitable on hogs, my perspective is changed;

Nice shot!

Dang!!! I've never considered .22 anything as being suitable on hogs, my perspective is changed;

Nice shot!
Thanks Ross. I will say the 22wmr is more than enough when properly employed. There is so much debate and down right fighting many say .223 not enough gun must be .30 or better etc... I would simply say if you know your quarry anatomy and know your ability 100% and only take a proper shot having discipline to pass if its not right its plenty. Ballistics wise some can chime in better kniwledge but id say at 100 yds its in ball park of 223 at maybe 300yds which is well within its lethal range. At night with night gear i try to be around 50 yds anyway with 100 being about max for field conditions and taking a clean kill shot. If i cant get clean shot my finger doesnt touch trigger they get the win and i return another day. Chunking bullets center mass in that direction for a hit doesnt interst me. Now pure eradicating sounders on say peanut fields damage thats sometimes different game.

That makes sense, and obviously you're placing rounds in a very small and specific area.

The little night hunting I've done has been with a .223 and shotgun if it's close enough. With the rifle, if I can make out eyes at 100 yards I can hit it clean. But I know I'm not getting as specific as what you've got there. I'd like to upgrade my equipment too though.

I understand. I can see anid identify animals several hundred yds out with enough starlight. But to identify an actual ear i have to be under 100 so thats my self imposed limit with smaller caliber. This is actually my first 22mag rifle. What i like is fun to shoot its lightweight and as you know shooting larger guns in dead of night when all quite is a pretty loud shock that wakes the dead the 22 mag is relatively quite even unsuppressed. Now full disclosure that paticular shot was an inch lower than id like. Much lower could have had poor result ending with another not enough gun blah blah story but poor placement with any caliber is no different imho i would agree that larger could be larger room for error maybe. Then again possibly false sense of security too. I have shot a boar with 06 and he ran good ways before we got a kill shot. Ive see hog hit 5 times with 44 mag still angry before death. So i like a calculated behind or thru ear shot for drt. If you can hit 2" circle at 100 EVERY time under field condition its the way to go if not i say go bigger bullet in the vitals.

I need a better scope something like what you've got or similar.

As is I can enough at 100 yards to estimate size and distance. I'm certain I'm 2" accurate under those conditions, but I can't see enough detail for shots like what you made on that hog. Is that the ATN scope? I think you already answered that. I've been looking at a sightmark photon.

I need a better scope something like what you've got or similar.

As is I can enough at 100 yards to estimate size and distance. I'm certain I'm 2" accurate under those conditions, but I can't see enough detail for shots like what you made on that hog. Is that the ATN scope? I think you already answered that. I've been looking at a sightmark photon.
Yes its the ATn trident pro 2+ i have had long as far a night vision goes. Its been a real workhorse and worth every penny. I dont think they even make this anymore. Theres newer tech now but this is still serving me well. It came with a good ir illumintor but honestly never needed it even on cloudest nights now more ambient stars moon etc better the clarity of course. The lense cover works fine for a day shot or sighting in not as clear as at night without but it works. Ive used some newer more expensive to include thermal gear and they were very nice but this one has been used hard and still doing the job for me. I caught alot of grief over this purchase back when from the former wife but like they say buy once cry once shes gone its syill here. Lol

I have one of the ATN x sights. It's one of the newer ones.

The one I have is a 6-18x zoom, and I wish to goodness I had held out and ordered the 3 power instead because the 6x is just too much magnification for where I hunt.

I really like the scope, and it's done real good for me. I just can't use it up close good at all.

Mine is actually fixed at 2.5 and thats been perfect. I bought the 2x doubler for 5 power but found ive never needed it.

I sold a gen 1 NV scope a few years ago to another forum member. It was a fixed 1.5x.

It worked a lot better for where I hunt.

Back