• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stock up !!

Not really "stocking" but enabling. ;) K98 sporter circa 1943, sporterized late 50s with scope, Monte stock, "spoon" bolt handle and curved safety for bolt clearance, no sights, etc. Probably hasn't been fired in 50 years.I have 100rds of war surplus duds... :( As I pull the bullets from the duds, (with great effort, I might add) perhaps I can use them with the new spent cases. Anyhow 8mm isn't readily available and when I found a local store with it, I HAD to buy a couple boxes at $19/20rds.

The .380 is for a $55.55 Lork "Monday Night Special" I would really like to see if it works... :)

I don't think I ever got back with a RANGE REPORT but both guns (K98 and Lorcin .380) fire fine with the new ammo pictured. CORRECTION: the curved, aftermarket safety noted above is for SCOPE clearance, not bolt clearance.

The Lork is adequately accurate at 15' and we were able to hit the black in a bullseye at that distance. Burned about 1/2 the box of .380 "testing" it. I don't know if I mentioned it here, but that gun empty weighs MORE than a small Taurus 9mm I have with 12+1 in it! :eek:

The K98 is in definite need of a better scope instead of the BB gun-quality 60 year old specimen it has on it now. :rolleyes: We were able to hit the gong at 100yds with regularity but I was not able to get it onto 8.5x11 paper at that distance and I hadn't brought a spotting scope to check POI. I have a new, cheapy Burris? 3-9x40 I picked for $10 after rebate I am going to mount for the next outing.

Fired one of the boxes of new ammo and retained all of the cases for future re-use. Also "clicked" and waited through 40-50 rounds of the aforementioned duds and the bullets have since been pulled from the Berdan-primed steel cases. Still have about 40 or so "duds" to go during the next range outing.

NOTICE! 1 or 2 of the "duds" actually fired! :eek: So let this be a lesson to those of you when "processing" dud ammo in this fashion to ALWAYS POINT THE FIREARM IN A SAFE DIRECTION!

This was also the outing where the Beretta .40 experienced multiple crap reload malfunctions. More bullets I'll be pulling...

13853.jpeg
This is some bulk .45 acp and .45-70 brass, and jacketed slugs + 5000 asstd primers. I got this all about half price from auction.

I also picked up four boxes of Federal .30-30 flat nosed 150 grain game loads at Walmart. I still haven't made a really good .30-30 cartridge myself, but I've loaded 45s successfully.

Hopefully I will get set up to load the 45-70s soon but in the meantime I've got 120 rounds to keep me busy.

I am also anxious to mold some shotgun slugs from my new Lee slug molds.

But there's a lot of Charity sale stuff that needs to disappear from my garage before I have the room to even get started right now.

You'll be glad you did very soon.

You'll either be sitting on a goldmine from buying so cheap while you could, or you'll be glad you did it because you find yourself needing it.

Regardless, either are good reasons.

I have always been very motivated by my belly though. I worry about what is to come.

My Dad used to tell me there were two classes of people.

The haves.

And the have-nots.

Then he would always ask me which I wanted to be in.

He was wise beyond his years.

Ammo is the new currency.

I just traded a mixed box of 357 magnum and 38 spc and a coat to a used gasoline powered tiller.

True story brothers.

I kinda hated to let the ammo go, but our tine bearings are gone and can't be replaced because of how the tiller is welded together and it's just a matter of time before the bar bends when it hits a rock and is finished altogether.

So, I got the tiller while I could because things are not going to be getting better anytime soon. Thankfully, I have the stuff to make my own to replace the ones I traded yesterday. Special thanks @nitesite

i6TvwpU.jpg

Back