• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stress Test .308 Range Report

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Well, it was me stressed actually, the .308 didn't flinch. I flinched a lot.

I took the .308 RPR and .45 ACP back out to the rifle club to try again. I had re-pressed 50 ACPs to be 0.1" shorter, to help them feed. Meh. It didn't work. Jamb after jamb.

As I was tweaking the new .308 scope, my spotter was giving me strange info, and I made lots of holdovers that never worked. MEH! I was tearing at hair I don't have anymore.

It turns out I didn't quite understand how this rifle shoots at 50 yds with that 20 MOA cant on the rail. In addition I was starting with some light loads which drop fast. I didn't depress the scope enough and was shaving lead into the top layer of the 100 yd berm, spraying pea gravel up thru my target.

I didn't realize this and I was going nuts, as my shots were seemingly going random places. Anyhow I wasted a lot of ammo until I walked the range to check the target. At that point I had 8 shots left. I finally put 4 reasonably on target at 100 and 4 finally on paper at 200 yards. I scored a near bullseye on the last shot of the day, which was some relief. I shot 80 .308 handloads total but was really stressing out, after putting 2/3 of them in the dirt!

Match grade lead too ;(

The .45 loads I made wouldn't feed well, and I think it has everything to do with the bullet profile and the magazine lips. I didn't mess with them as I was pooped at that point.

Finally I had an awful time getting eye relief. I need a taller scope mount. Also the ambi safety pokes me in the web of my thumb. That's gotta come off. By the last shots I was not using the pistol grip at all. I'm amazed I hit anything at 200+ yds.

On my last shot I had walked it up 12in to within 2 inches of the bull.
Resized_20191219_145618.jpeg
Unfortunately it really was my last round and then I went home.

But 2 in from the bullseye is the best ever for me with the 308 at 200 + yards.

Here you can see how I walked up my last four shots, but what you can't see is the $60 worth of ammo that I just plowed into the dirt berm.

Resized_20191219_145515.jpeg

I have to say some more about this because I was seriously stressed having shot up 76 rounds of 308 and never putting anything on paper at 100 yards.

After I walked out and looked at my targets and realized what was going on, that is that my spotter was really just spotting shrapnel I kicked up, I was able to put my last 8 rounds on paper.

Unfortunately I did not keep the 100-yard Target, but because I was finally actually able to hit that target, I knew I could probably put those last four on paper at 200 without wasting them, and I did.

It was a freaking relief because otherwise I would have been beating myself up all the way home and into next week.

I've decided I need to raise the scope or I will never get a good eye relief on this rifle. I guess I need another trip to the gun store...

Back