• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sunny Johannesburg, South Africa, New guy.

Hi my name is Dirk, and I am so glad I found your great site/ forum. I hope to learn a lot, and I'm looking forward to spending many hours reading about this great gun/s, MOSSBERG.

I own a BRNO 30-06, Voere .22 SLR, .303 Enfield rifle, a GLOCK 23, a LM6, and my latest, I call her, The Hammer of Thor, a Mossberg 500 ATP 8. I have not been able to take her to the range as yet, due to licencing delays/ problems in South Africa.

I've been hunting for 23 years, and love the outdoors. :)

Welcome from MI!!!

Are you from that area? Live there for business? Other?

I'm just curious, one of the big bucket list items is to hunt or at least travel to different parts of Africa.

Welcome aboard!

It's great to have some additional international representation in our community. Tell your friends! We'd love to hear from more folks in your area.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of the 500 ATP and your other firearms in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

@ MikeD, Thanx for the welcome. Born and raised in South Africa, Johannesburg. My wife I are running a family law firm, in a smaller suburb of Johannesburg. I hope you are able to come here(S.A.) at least once in your life, you'll be pleasantly surprised. There are many great hunting destinations here.

@ LAZY EYED SNIPER, I will do. Two of my close friends also own Mossberg 500 pumps!

Mike, you'll love hunting in South Africa. Have you seen the size of they turkeys they have over there?!!!

Just make sure that 835 of yours is loaded up with some full mag loads!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Mike, you'll love hunting in South Africa. Have you seen the size of they turkeys they have over there?!!!

Just make sure that 835 of yours is loaded up with some full mag loads!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock: That is one BIG A$$ Turkey!!! :lol:
I got dibs on the Drumstick :cool:

Welcome Hammer of Thor!
Glad to see that Mossbergs are available all over the world.

I will someday Hunt Africa. The wife is into it as well, so that is really a green light for me, when the money is there. :(

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Welcome from the state of Missouri. I look forward to hearing more. Nice selection of guns. You mentioned licensing regs. Does that vary by gun type? Handgun vs hunting bolt action? What are concealed carry regs in the country??

Welcome to MO Hammer!

Whenever you have the chance to fire the 500, youre gonna love it!

Real good to have you here from so far away!

@ Mingaa, Our law regarding gun ownership is becoming more tight. The average Joe can own 4 firearm in total, one of those can be for self defence. If you want to own more than 4 firearms, you need to belong to a sport shooting club or hunting club.

Belonging to a club, will afford you dedicated status, either dedicated sport shooter or dedicated hunter. Then when you apply for a firearm licence, you need to give an elaborate motivation, stating the need for the firearm. Many applications are declined.

We carry concealed, only Law Enforcement Officers open carry.

Self loading firearms can only be obtained with dedicated status.

Howdy Hammer of Thor and wel ome to the club!

LTB45 said:
I will someday Hunt Africa. The wife is into it as well, so that is really a green light for me, when the money is there. :(

I'm thinking Mossberg Owners road trip!! :lol: :lol:

Nice to meet you hammer of thor.

My generally bubbly personality would seriously clash having to state a reason(s) why I want to own a gun.

I would have a difficult time explaining even to my wife why I wanted a gun, I surely wouldn't be able to explain why I wanted a gun to the government.

Our carry laws are opposite where I live.

I can open carry legally without a special permit, but if I want to carry concealed, I have to submit paperwork to the police department, await a lengthy background check, and shoot a target and not miss and pay them $75 for the class.

Thankfully, my State laws are really relaxed about what classifies as concealed. I can put a handgun in a vehicle glovebox or console box between the front seats (with or without a lock) and not be considered concealed, and of course, can use a holster when out of a vehicle.

Besides self loading firearms, can you own full auto firearms and silencers/sound moderators? We can where I live, but only firearms made prior to May 1986, which limit your choices, and we can own sound moderators too of any make or model, but we have to get a permit from the ATF (Government firearm agency) and pay a $200 tax per item prior to taking possession of them or where allowed, make them.

Back