• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Supreme Court strikes down Stolen Valor Act

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
This kind of went under the radar after the Obamacare ruling:

USA Today said:
The Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a 2005 federal law that punishes people who lie about medals and military service, concluding it had a sweeping and chilling effect on free speech.

Link to full story

Truthfully I don't see how lying about medals falls under freedom of speech.

Its a sad day in america. I feel like they should have just spit in all the men and women faces who served and actually earned their awards. I havent earned any crazy awards since I have been in but I am proud of what I do have.

I understand the desire to protect free speech. I also rather like when idiots speak, its helps us spot them well in advance and we're better able to steer clear.

I agree though, I dont see how its free speech to lie about awards, medals, and ribbons not earned. Especially if its bein used for some sort of gain.

Actually, I was pretty sure stolen Valor wouldn't pass Constitutional muster. The Founding Fathers envisioned Citizen Soldiers. Not a protected and Privileged Military Caste as was the case in Europe.

I don't think we need Special laws to protect Soldiers honor any more than we need laws to protect Gay's from so called hate speech.

Back