• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Surprise Guests at mailbox

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Went to retrieve mail this morning its a little walk down my driveway to the box. Weve had alot of rain last two days. Two visitors coiled up at my mailbox. Copperheads or simple ratsnakes well i aint sure not a snake expert but i do have dogs and grandkids to worry about. A google image search was not conclusive for me at the moment. I let the Judge with some #9s decide. Sorry to any reptile lovers i couldnt take a chance. And wasnt willing to stick my face down there to look for the round or slanty eyes or whatever i dont see that well.flame if you must 20170523_114024.jpg

Boy. How long were they?

I'm thinking they are not Copperheads based on a few things I see; not thick, round eyes.

Only good snake is a dead snake.

I hate snakes worse than Indiana Jones.

Lol. I really dont have anything against snakes i know they serve purpose and typically just
Give them some distance but grandkids inbound for weekend and close to yard so they had to go.

I don't have anything against them either.

As long as they don't get around me or where I'm at.

Some sort of primal instinct comes out when I see one.

I will make an attempt to relocate a common black snake, but when they look like those do, I do not take a chance either. They just look dangerous. I know, I know, I'm profiling. :( Take care. Tom Worthington

Oh I agree, and I think @Djcala absolutely did the only smart thing and dispatch those critters.

I hear they taste like chicken when roasted over a campfire... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what they are, but they aren't copperheads or rattlesnakes. Rat snake, chicken snake, corn snake. Maybe brown water snake. Not venomous tho.

Last edited:
Those are corn snakes. Not venomous, good for catching rats,mice and small varmints. They fetch good money at pet stores....

I have caught black snakes and king snakes and turned them loose around the house.
I tote a Judge when snakes are crawling. I only shoot the poisonous ones. So far this year....one copperhead...one large diamond back.....and one timber rattler.

I actually like non-venomous snakes.

But for one very critical element I would tolerate them around my homestead with glee.

Problem is how do you teach dogs to ignore harmless snakes, and then they go and get tagged real bad by a venomous one because they got close to it.

So I just hoist the good ones over the electric fence into the pasture and back toward the water and mice and bugs.

I like non-venomous snakes too nitesite. I will catch them and play with them....since I was about 10 years old, and I am now 70.
However, I live on a sandy ridge in the middle of Georgia woods and have dogs. Several dogs have been bit by poisonous snakes so I try to keep the poisonous ones thinned out. As you know, being able to identify the type of snake is the key. More people should study them.

Here is one of my snake stories:

My wife’s son brought the grand boys (12 and 10) over to fish in the pond. They brought their own cane poles, crickets and worms. We threw their gear in the back of my pickup and to the pond we went. I noticed my spinning rig in the truck, so once I got the boys set up fishin' from the dock, I grabbed my rod and reel. I had a hook on the line, but I didn't have my tackle box, so I figured I'd catch me a frog and put him on the hook and toss him into the pond and with a little jerkin' and twitchin' I might catch me a big ole bass. I started walking along the bank of the pond and saw a moccasin with a frog in his mouth, so I grabbed me a heavy tree limb and pinned the snake down and picked him up behind the neck. Well, I wondered how am I gonna get my frog out of the snake’s mouth. I had me a bottle of Budweiser in my other hand, so I tried pouring some beer down the snake’s mouth. He swallowed the beer, so I poured some more, he swallowed again, then his eyes kinda rolled back in his head and he spit out the frog. I threw the snake to the side and grabbed the frog. I put the frog on my hook, cast out, and started jerkin' and twitchin' that rod when I felt a tapping on my boot. I looked down at my feet and there was that moccasin with two more frogs.

My buddy Ray had a reticulated python...thing would only eat live Rodents and Grasshoppers...so he raised them too.

The snake got out of the viewing cage ( a old converted TV cabinet...with big branches to curl around and of course the warming light )...into the nursery of white mice.

Ate 'em all...

... then into the Grasshopper Den ( old fish tank ). When he got home, the grasshoppers were everywhere... Hysterical !!

Here is one of my snake stories:

My wife’s son brought the grand boys (12 and 10) over to fish in the pond. They brought their own cane poles, crickets and worms. We threw their gear in the back of my pickup and to the pond we went. I noticed my spinning rig in the truck, so once I got the boys set up fishin' from the dock, I grabbed my rod and reel. I had a hook on the line, but I didn't have my tackle box, so I figured I'd catch me a frog and put him on the hook and toss him into the pond and with a little jerkin' and twitchin' I might catch me a big ole bass. I started walking along the bank of the pond and saw a moccasin with a frog in his mouth, so I grabbed me a heavy tree limb and pinned the snake down and picked him up behind the neck. Well, I wondered how am I gonna get my frog out of the snake’s mouth. I had me a bottle of Budweiser in my other hand, so I tried pouring some beer down the snake’s mouth. He swallowed the beer, so I poured some more, he swallowed again, then his eyes kinda rolled back in his head and he spit out the frog. I threw the snake to the side and grabbed the frog. I put the frog on my hook, cast out, and started jerkin' and twitchin' that rod when I felt a tapping on my boot. I looked down at my feet and there was that moccasin with two more frogs.

Great story. I'm still laughing.

Back