• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Survival food

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
After a long weekend of working around our place. I really felt need for a nice fire, thought opportunity to reflect on how would we manage without electricity and a proper kitchen ??? I sorta forgot what this was about, so,just pull up a stump and fix ya a plate. All I have is beans n sausage with garlic/wild scallions but theres plenty more if ya hungry.0331191720_HDR.jpg

Did this on a hike yesterday with my youngest son up in the woods.

I was pretty concerned about the flames because the wind was blowing a cold front in hard most of the day yesterday. Nobody died and my son is turning into a pretty good cook, so I take that as a win.

After a long weekend of working around our place. I really felt need for a nice fire, thought opportunity to reflect on how would we manage without electricity and a proper kitchen ??? I sorta forgot what this was about, so,just pull up a stump and fix ya a plate. All I have is beans n sausage with garlic/wild scallions but theres plenty more if ya hungry.View attachment 20469
That pic could have been taken right here, in the woods :) Cook and eat your own meals in the woods is good life :)

I have bought enough BIC's that I could probably go the next 10 years without needing to buy another.

I got started carrying BIC's when I smoked and even though I haven't lifted up a cigarette in 10 years, I still carry a lighter in my pocket.

Its foolish not to have one or two in any outdoor kit. I have a couple that I wrapped with some duct tape, and keep in my kits.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I've probably got 3 feet or so on there. I mean how many uses are there for duct tape, especially in an emergency, or survival type situation?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Another idea for your Bic. Take a short length of bicycle tube and slide it over the lighter allowing an inch or so to extend beyond the top. Fold the top portion of the tube back over itself and use a second small band to secure the fold over. This not only makes the lighter totally waterproof but the pieces of rubber tube are great fire starters. They burn much longer and hotter than Vaseline soaked cotton balls. Using the folded over tube also keeps the lighter from drying out over time. I've used stored lighters which are over a decade old and they still work.

Regards

I liked that you mentioned Vaseline coated cotton balls.

We have our own firestarter recipe that was based off of that but it's a little different.

We use Vaseline, sawdust and dryer lint all mashed up together. It looks awful but burns for several minutes.

We call it "GUNK".

A pinch will burn about 5 minutes altogether and longer than a cotton ball soaked in kerosene and will even light if it's a little damp. I never tried lighting it really wet. I'm sure the inner tube will light when wet too though.

When I hiked extended miles (50-100 miles) I carried a Ferro rod and dryer lint. Was always able to make fire.

Also carried char cloth

Dried pine needles, char cloth, leaves, and some light blowing got up the tinder.

I was an alcohol stove user so I had that on hand if I needed a little edge but never used it.

I love this Bic/tire/Vasoline/lint/ hint sequence. I'm going to add to each of my emergency kits in the van, car and cycle.

I love this Bic/tire/Vasoline/lint/ hint sequence. I'm going to add to each of my emergency kits in the van, car and cycle.

if you have pets I'd avoid the dryer lint from your own laundry source. The hair is a natural fire retardant and it will be challenging getting the fire going with that type of hair-infused lint.

Back