• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Switching safety

Hello,
Im a left handed shooter and have a new MMR tactical
Is it possible to switch the safety switch from the left side to the right.
If it can be done, is it tough to do?
This is my first AR so I don't have a lot of experience working on them yet

Thanks
Dr.Herb

Howdy Sir.

Should be a simple fix. First, you'll need to remove the pistol grip. Looking inside the grip from the bottom you should see the grip screw....

Once the screw is removed you will be able to slide the grip down off of the receiver. The selector spring and detent will appear on the right side between the grip and receiver...

Pull these out and you should be able to remove the selector switch and insert it from the opposite side, thereby converting the selector to left-hand operation. Note that the hammer will need to be in the cocked position to remove the selector. Repeat the steps in reverse to reassemble and you should be good to go. Let us know if you run into any issues...

I finally got to this little task and I conclude that it cannot be done. At least not without buying a new safety switch that allows for left side shooters.
Here is what I found. I got it apart easy enough but the safety selector doesn't allow the switch.

photo 1 is the selector pin hole. It is only on one side and I don't have a drill press in order to drill out a hole on the other side. There also isn't a hole in the grip for moving the spring to the other side. Boo

Photo 2 is the safety switch (sorry for the blurry pic and the small arrow is the right side) there are only notches on right side. So I would have to buy another switch Double Boo.

I did determine that I MUST buy a vise to hold the rifle while I'm working on it.

Thanks for the great description on doing this.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 125
I thought you be able to just switch it around until I saw you pic! I would agree on the ambi kit there are a couple to choose from! There are ambi mag release's to check out as well just to make it easier for the lefties!

rdm76mav88 said:
https://troyind.com/products/ambidextrous-magazine-release

Found this if your interested kinda pricy but its a bit cheaper then the norgon one!

switching both would be good but I live in California with the dumbass bullet button thingy so switching the mag release won't speed things up much.

oh well, on my list of things to buy. that list is very very long!

The ambi switch worked perfectly. A local gun shop had one for $40. Easy peisy

Tomorrow is range day. :)

thanks a bunch.

Great day at the range. I only had an hour before the range closed

I started at 25 yds to get the scope set up and the picture is a 10 round magazine at that distance.
This was the best of the day.
50 yards didn't go as well but I was a little rushed.

very happy considering that this is only the second time out with this rifle.
herb

Attachments

• shots.jpeg
    shots.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 76
Good shooting...the longer distances will come with practice. I'm left-handed as well but was brought up by a right-handed father. Add the military time where everything is right-handed and you have to learn to adapt. I had to "learn" how to use a left handed bolt action...now that was something funny to watch...reaching up with my right hand to move the left hand bolt back...no, no video...

Just for future reference, Olympic Arms selectors are ambidextrous and can be reversed to accommodate left handed shooters.

And I'm certain are far less than $40. Sorry I was too late to the topic to have helped in time.

Sounds like it may be possible that you are right handed but left eye dominant?

If you point your finger straight ahead like you're aiming a pistol at a distant target and close one eye at a time, and then you can see which eye you are using when looking at the target. One finger will be looking beside your finger and the target, while the dominant eye will be looking down the sights (over your finger).

Whichever eye is looking at the target when the other is closed will be your dominant eye.

Just for the record, my oldest son is this way.

John A. said:
Just for future reference, Olympic Arms selectors are ambidextrous and can be reversed to accommodate left handed shooters.

And I'm certain are far less than $40. Sorry I was too late to the topic to have helped in time.

Sounds like it may be possible that you are right handed but left eye dominant?

If you point your finger straight ahead like you're aiming a pistol at a distant target and close one eye at a time, and then you can see which eye you are using when looking at the target. One finger will be looking beside your finger and the target, while the dominant eye will be looking down the sights (over your finger).

Whichever eye is looking at the target when the other is closed will be your dominant eye.

Just for the record, my oldest son is this way.

I can close my right eye no problem but I am not able close my left eye independent of my right.
When shooting a pistol, a lot of my shots are low and left especially if I close my right eye.

thanks

If you cannot close your eye independently, then place your hand in front of them one at a time.

Though not being able to close your eyes independently is probably part of the problem.

John A. said:
If you cannot close your eye independently, then place your hand in front of them one at a time.

Though not being able to close your eyes independently is probably part of the problem.

yeah I would agree.
I had 3 serious skull fractures (in 3 separate summers) when I was a kid - I suspect they are the root cause.

Back