• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tactical/Home Defense Shotgun Course?

#1Buck4me

Supporter
Just wondering if anyone has attended this type of training course? What was your experience?

I have been searching for such a course in NC, but they seem to be few and far between. I would like to do this for the experience of spending the day shooting at bad guys that don,t shoot back and I may learn some new skills that could save my family someday.

I've done pistol courses. But I hear the shotgun courses are a lot of fun but a lot of work.

You have to keep feeding the gun constantly.

I've done pistol courses. But I hear the shotgun courses are a lot of fun but a lot of work.

You have to keep feeding the gun constantly.

Tactical shotgun classes are a blast. Bring a dump pouch for ammo and add an extension to your gun if you don't have one already.

I'm in Utah, so I can't suggest a place for you to go. I've got a tactical shotgun/pistol course coming up in a few months. Last year I did a tactical rifle/pistol class with the same company (Counterterrorism Institute of America).
I usually run practice drills that I find in magazines or on TV shows (yeah I'm the guy that does the stuff he sees on TV haha).
While I wasn't sure what to expect from the course, my experience was completely positive. I attended this class by myself, and everyone there was very friendly. While I was nervous that it would be just me and a dozen swat team members taking the course, that was not the case. The students ranged widely in experience levels. I had fun and learned some new tactics. I got some great advice & practice on how to more efficiently shoot the long gun with my off hand, doing rifle to pistol transitions, working in shoot/move teams, and even some hand to hand combat if you're all out of bullets!
Practicing drills by myself does help smooth my speed, but having an instructor watch me to give me pointers that I would not otherwise notice was a whole 'nother level. Worth every penny.
I will try to report back on my experiences after this next course. They teach on a shooting range, but I would like to find a home defense shotgun course taught in a shoot house. Anyone have suggestions on a shoot house in northern Utah?

Back